Drivers side air bag unavailable

wellby

Established Member
My 2013 GT was involved in a light front end collision causing the drivers side air bag to deploy, now 3 weeks later the car is done but there are no replacement inflators to be found anywhere. I contacted Fords customer help line and was told I was out of luck for a few months same story from local Ford dealership. What do I do now? I don't want to daily drive a car with no airbag and don't think my insurance company would be too happy. Not sure how to proceed from here I'm looking for ideas on what to do next.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
did u try fleabay? go to a junk yard and have them search I'm sure some where in the country there will be a drivers side airbag available. there are like 20 zillion Mustangs in this country can't be too hard to find a used one that hasn't deployed

5lho

Established Member
Yes, obviously Ford won't sell an airbag that has been recalled as part of the whole Takata thing. Your best bet is leave it until they get to you on recall or, as suggested, Ebay or the JY.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I've got two notices from Ford telling me about the recall and that theyll contact me when the part is available. Your SOL

zw470

Established Member
The last airbag recall letter I got said replacement parts would be available 4th quarter 2016.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Same here. Basically they are saying, your airbag could kill you but sorry you will just have to wait until we have them.

Would you like them to replace them with the imaginary airbags they have out back?

15PSI

Established Member
Rcvd the airbag recall notice in July 2015. Called Ford yesterday. They have absolutely no idea when they will ship any airbags to dealers. So I am surprised that they gave you a date of a few months. I also complained to the NHTSA which did zip. I have also heard of availability by the end of this year, but I am not holding my breath. Getting safe air bags is almost as impossible as trying to get Ford to stand behind their warranty for the thousands of Mustang owners whose hoods have paint that are bubbling and flaking because of contaminated aluminum.

wellby

Established Member
I have found a few on eBay and a member here messaged me he has one, but not sure the insurance company will let me put in a used airbag that is deemed unsafe and under recall.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Ya we have this issue for a body shop customer. The driver's airbag deployed on a 2014 Mustang. There is plenty of complete airbags in Ford's warehouses, but they cannot be sold due to them having possibly defective Takata inflators. The 13-14 Mustangs have a parts ETA of 3rd quarter 2016 the last we were told. Ford cannot sell known defective parts to their dealers. Luckily when I was hit in my car a few weeks ago, there was not an airbag deployment.

jn2

Established Member
You should consider yourself lucky the air bag didn't kill you. Now all you can do is wait...and i'd take their ETA with a grain of salt...prepare to wait at least a year for one and hope for only a few months

wellby

Established Member
Spoke to ford customer service and getting a call back from someone higher up tomorrow. I would be happy if they just gave me a really good price on a new 16 GT or there may be a 16 SS in my future if ford won't help

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Spoke to ford customer service and getting a call back from someone higher up tomorrow. I would be happy if they just gave me a really good price on a new 16 GT or there may be a 16 SS in my future if ford won't help

If my car wasn't able to be repaired, I would have gone straight to a Chevy dealer and ordered a SS Sedan in Slipstream Blue with a manual.

imeyers302

Established Member
Would you like them to replace them with the imaginary airbags they have out back?

Well it seems to me they are able to make all the airbags they need for new cars that they are selling today but none are available to replace the potentially deadly ones. Just saying. This is not a creaking lower control arm, or a bad shifting mt82, this is a potentially deadly issue.

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
I got inflator recall done today at dealership I work at. We have 1 more in stock.

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
I think we are confusing 2 different things. Ford says there have been no replacements even made yet

Oh, well the one I got done Fords system said no parts available at the current time with no ETA but we had 2 kits left on the shelf from when they originally introduced the fix so idk.

Users who are viewing this thread