Drive Shaft HELP!!!

cobra96grl

Established Member
I swapped my 99 back to IRS yesterday. When I got it all back together today; the driveshaft is spinning on the output shaft of the transmission. My rearend and driveshaft are out of a 01 Cobra. I thought maybe the driveshaft would be different because of the transmission differences. But the only problem with that is that my driveshaft worked fine in his car, but his wouldn't work in mine.

Any suggestions?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I assume you mean with the transmission in gear, the drive shaft still spins freely?

I'm going to guess that the 01s have a shorter yoke that connects to the transmission than the 99's have. Remember, 99 Cobras have a T-45, while the 01s came with a Tremec 3650. The slip yoke (the part that goes into the trans and engages the output shaft) on the 01 driveshaft is probably too short for the T-45, or is splined differently and therefore cannot engage the trans ouptput shaft. The part number for a 99 is 4841 (according to my tech CD). Perhaps someone with an 01 tech CD can look it up and see if there is a different part number for the 01s, or you can call a dealership and find out.

You might be able to buy a 99 skip yoke and hook it up to the driveshaft.

NXSVTCOBRA

i used my 01 driveshaft for my T45 thats in the car now and had no problems, so there shouldn't be a difference, by any chance was the driveshaft thats in your car now shortened?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
cobra96grl said:
yes in gear.

can we just switch drive shafts??

I have no idea. I would think you can. If you already have the 99 Driveshaft it is worth a shot. Otherwise you might just pull the slip yoke off the 99 driveshaft and install it to your 01 driveshaft.

I would definitely call Ford and aske them if there are more differences in the driveshaft than just the yoke.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
well, that is my wife that posted this for me. I am going to disconnect the driveshaft from the rearend and try to slide it into the transmission more and see if that fixes it. If not, will a 96 Cobra driveshaft fit the IRS or is it going to be shorter?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I believe the driveshafts in a solid axle car are longer than those in an IRS.

If sprayed pony used his 01 driveshaft in the T-45, then your must not be seated on the output shaft of the transmission.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i thought the output shaft for a 3650 was larger than that of the t45, thereby making the yoke I.D. larger, which might cause it to just spin on a t45 output shaft....just speculation since i don't know for sure....

Users who are viewing this thread