(drive ability) problems... (return style fuel system)

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
i sent 04sleeper a PM as i trust his knowledge (just sent him a PM) but i also want to get some more opinions on this as im so frustrated and all i want is a good running car. heres the situation..

after installing the new motor, 3.4 whipple, fuel system and so on she got tuned by MPH (Tim Barth) this past december. i basically drove her straight home and into the garage after the tune.

i pulled her out a couple times so far this year when the weather was decent out and just kind of drove her around, nothing crazy and seemed to drive fine other than a very occasional 'buck'. last week i took her out and actually made several successful pulls (2nd-4th) without any issues and she pulled like a train. several days had past and i took her down to the exhaust shop to get some work done. started it up, idled how it always has and began driving. i attempted to get on it a couple times but as soon as i gave her half throttle she bucked/gargled and i let off. i was like ok guess she doesnt like the cooler weather (48ish). got to the exhaust shop where it sat for approx 5 minutes before being re-started. on start up it cranked longer than normal and when it started it idled like shit. the second you hit the gas it died. it took several minutes and attempts until i got it started and acting 'normal'.

the following day i picked the car up. started up fine and drove home fine, all normal driving. i let it sit for a couple hours and when i went to restart it, it did the same long crank, idle like shit. as soon you hit the gas to keep it running its popping and gargling like crazy. after it died a couple times it began idling fine. i backed it out of my garage, shut it off and washed it. after the wash it started it up, started fine and idled fine, then began making my way to my buddies shop. after about 10 minutes of driving i stopped at a stop light and she started idle surging and i was damn near dead in the water as i drover through the intersection but i kept on the throttle to keep it running. the entire time i was on the throttle it ran like shit, bucking and popping. eventually it straightned out and ran ok again. i attempted to give it full throttle and after a second of pulling it felt like it hit a brick wall, then it would catch for a second and hit a brick wall again.

Today, i disconnected the battery, let it sit for awhile and still the same results. its hard to crank over and get started. idled like crapand wanted to die, then it straightend itself out. then it started idle surging and died...and repeat.

cliff notes:
-i did not change a thing since the tune other than installing a fuel cooler on the return side.
-did a smoke test today and noticed a smaller leak, but a leak coming from inbetween the superchager and the inlet. not sure if its where the inlet meets the charger or from underneath the charger and if this 'leak' is enough to cause this problem.
-tuner told me the other day it could be fuel deposition due to me running the Aeromotive eliminator pump. (i do run a fuel cooler, but it was tuned without). dont know how it could be this especially on cold starts to.
-i felt the pump after driving the other day and a newborn baby could put its hand on it, it was barely that warm
-im running E85
-no engine light on

ideas :??:

thanks-Adam

Last edited:

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Wow, sorry to hear about the trouble. Did you mess with the MAF? I imagine its upgraded. I'd day something with that or defiantly the fuel system. Pumps not working properly could do that.

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
the MAF should be fine, i unplugged it and the car wouldnt even start. plugged it back in and then the idles issues.

the fuel pump sounds just as loud as it did day 1 and fuel pressure holds steady where it was set at by the tuner. keep in minds all these parts have only about 500 miles on em.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
the MAF should be fine, i unplugged it and the car wouldnt even start. plugged it back in and then the idles issues.

the fuel pump sounds just as loud as it did day 1 and fuel pressure holds steady where it was set at by the tuner. keep in minds all these parts have only about 500 miles on em.

Being that they are all new is what concerns me- not that they are bad, but have some complication from the install. Hey, it happens. Sometimes fixing something can make a different problem become more apparent. On the idle side, maybe the IAC? Maybe the fuel filter is clogged from some debris in the tank when it got new pumps?

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
everything seemed fine on the install. i mean member the car was tuned and running pretty good. ive doubled checked connetions and vac hoses and everything is on how it should be.
gas is fresh. im sure were still on the winter blend but then again thats what my car was tuned on due to it being decemeber.
i wish i had the capabilities of data logging or i would have been on top of that. i was just trying to get some insight before i contact the tuner on monday and probably get it towed down there :fm::(

Last edited:

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
Sounds to me like a major vacuum leak. Im guessing the boost your running may have popped a line off. Check all the lines around the back of the supercharger and the points they lead to.

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
I did check the lines and nothing. Also when I did the smoke test that would have been pouring out when I smoked it if a line was off

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
one area you could check would be the bolts from the inlet elbow to the s/c. I did a smoke test on mine after my s/c install and nothing came out. but then you shake the elbow and the idle went insane ended up just torqueing the hell out of the mount bolts. So you could try shaking the shit out of different parts of your intake to see if everything is torqued right. When the engine flexes it pulls stuff so a smoke test doesnt always tell you if you have a vac leak or not.

But what your describing is the tell tale signs of a vac leak. Might wanna ask the shop that you did the exhaust at. You said it was making these problem before you went in and it wasnt when you picked it up, but once you got home it started up again? Maybe the tech that worked on your car hooked something back up and then your boost blew it off on the way home.

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
^ when I did the smoke test that's where the leak appeared to be coming from is where the inlet mates up to the charger but not 100% sure.
The exhaust work the shop did was some welding at the axle back, nothing that would create these problems

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
^ when I did the smoke test that's where the leak appeared to be coming from is where the inlet mates up to the charger but not 100% sure.
The exhaust work the shop did was some welding at the axle back, nothing that would create these problems

try shaking the hell out of it and see if it moves. Or try putting some high temp rtv between the inlet and charger to make a gasket seal and torque the inlet down good.

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
Are you running an aftermarket boost gauge? If so, whats your vacuum at idle? Should be running negative 19-21 at idle.

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
My vacuum at idle is around 10, which is where it has been all along, even when I had the eaton on. Its from the cams.

*slight update*
One of my good buddies had a few moments to mess with her as I was in court all day long and found something interesting. He told me that he got the car started (running like crap). While running he disconnected the fuel pump and its like he hit a switch. It idled perfect with no issues, obviously until it ran out of fuel pressure. Wtf?!
He's goin to try and reload the tune into it today and see what happens. In confused.

sallen85

Established Member
Re: problems...

Is the fuel pressure increasing as the boost raises?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread