Drinking alcohol on Metoprolol (beta-blocker)

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
My cardiologist just put me on a small dose 25mg of Metoprolol tartrate and said its ok to drink on since its such a small dose and my bp is ok. I am on it to fix my skipping beats (PCV's)

Does any one else consume alcohol on beta blockers? Worse thing I read is it can make you drunker feeling faster (cheaper :D)

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Listen to your cardiologist who knows more about the heart than anyone on this site. You'll be fine. Most lay people have ridiculous ideas about medicine and the human body in general.
Signed, a medical student who gets annoyed when patients listen to their friend's advice over their physician's.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You guys have all completely lost it today with the new thread content, going to take a wiz and a have a beer. I'll be back.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Listen to your cardiologist who knows more about the heart than anyone on this site. You'll be fine. Most lay people have ridiculous ideas about medicine and the human body in general.
Signed, a medical student who gets annoyed when patients listen to their friend's advice over their physician's.
lol he said I could I wanted to hear other people's experience

You guys have all completely lost it today with the new thread content, going to take a wiz and a have a beer. I'll be back.
Your a coors guy right?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
My wife is on 100MG extended release once a day. Doc said light drinking was fine for her.

shurur

Established Member
I take 25mg for the same thing. Same story. You'll be fine. I have a little red wine with meal each night. 15 years now.

paluka21

Established Member
OP what's the cause of your PVC's? Can you feel them when they happen? I ask because I know that sometimes alcohol can increase PVC/PAC activity. As others and your cardiologist have said, it's probably fine to have a few drinks, but IMO I would take it slow at first to see how it affects your heart/BP.
I've had PACs which are very annoying and seem to get worse at times with alcohol consumption, but my doctors/cardiologist believe mine are caused by acid reflux disease.

Troponin

Established Member
The dehydration caused by alcohol can exacerbate arrhythmias, but light to moderate drinking is typically viewed as ok.

PVCs themselves are also not typically life threatening. The more intense ones can cause something like asystole which can then cause an embolism, but this is rare. That said, again, a majority of PVCs are not typically life threatening and are more common than people realize.

Staying hydrated actually decrease frequency of PVCs as well, which is why dehydration exacerbates them. It's not the actual alcohol itself.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
OP what's the cause of your PVC's? Can you feel them when they happen? I ask because I know that sometimes alcohol can increase PVC/PAC activity. As others and your cardiologist have said, it's probably fine to have a few drinks, but IMO I would take it slow at first to see how it affects your heart/BP.
I've had PACs which are very annoying and seem to get worse at times with alcohol consumption, but my doctors/cardiologist believe mine are caused by acid reflux disease.
I can for sure feel them, had them for 10 years now.
The dehydration caused by alcohol can exacerbate arrhythmias, but light to moderate drinking is typically viewed as ok.

PVCs themselves are also not typically life threatening. The more intense ones can cause something like asystole which can then cause an embolism, but this is rare. That said, again, a majority of PVCs are not typically life threatening and are more common than people realize.

Staying hydrated actually decrease frequency of PVCs as well, which is why dehydration exacerbates them. It's not the actual alcohol itself.
Adrenaline rush, anxiety , excess caffeine and alcohol are what cause mine but always have normal ekgs

neatofrito1618

Established Member
The more intense ones can cause something like asystole which can then cause an embolism, but this is rare.
Uhh, I think you might be thinking of a-fib. The main issue associated with asystole is like...death.

A-fib and PVCs aren't in any way related.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My cardiologist just put me on a small dose 25mg of Metoprolol tartrate and said its ok to drink on since its such a small dose and my bp is ok. I am on it to fix my skipping beats (PCV's)

Does any one else consume alcohol on beta blockers? Worse thing I read is it can make you drunker feeling faster (cheaper :D)

You should avoid "heavy" drinking while on Metropolol. My GF takes it for SVT (supraventricular tachycardia, but funny cause it does make her heart faster!) and while she can drink, half a glass of wine will make her heart race and she will be almost drunk.

I would stray from heavy drinking but if you want to have a beer or two with dinner thats probably fine.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
You should avoid "heavy" drinking while on Metropolol. My GF takes it for SVT (supraventricular tachycardia, but funny cause it does make her heart faster!) and while she can drink, half a glass of wine will make her heart race and she will be almost drunk.

I would stray from heavy drinking but if you want to have a beer or two with dinner thats probably fine.

I used to have Svt I grew faster then my heart back in high school but now just pcv's

Users who are viewing this thread