Drain fuel tank without removal?

Derek Baer

00BBE4FD-B5F9-4AF8-B056-20A7EA6E43E6.jpeg

0BDC2064-9848-4786-9DFE-0E74D6247AFF.jpeg

Admin - If this is posted in the wrong area please relocate to the appropriate area. Thanks

I just bought an 03 cobra with 88,000 miles on it that has been in storage for 10+ years.
Needless to say I’m stoked to finally own a Terminator and this is my very first Mustang!

IF ANYONE HAS INFORMATION ON THIS COBRA PLEASE LET ME KNOW, IT WENT FROM TEXAS TO NEW MEXICO THEN TO ARIZONA WHERE IT IS NOW. PO DIDNT GIVE ME MUCH TO GO ON BUT CARFAX IS CLEAN AND SHOWS 7 OWNERS ME BEING #7.

I’m going through the car doing all routine maintenance before driving the vehicle.
I did start the car and ran it to hear it and went through the gears to make sure it shifted and would actually drive.

The problem I’m having is actually powering the fuel pump to drain the tank.

This is fairly easy and straightforward on any other car that I’ve use the in-take pump to drain the tank but on this cobra since there is no real access to the fuel pump relay it makes it a lot more complicated.
The car has a Kenny Bell boost-a-pump in the trunk and I don’t want to mess it up attempting to jump wires to power the pump.
I figured out the relay is in a box in the passenger front wheel well that is sealed and looks like I would have to drill rivets to open it which I would rather not do.

I’m not new to completely going through a car and reviving something that’s been dead for decades but this is proving to be a little bit more challenging than the 40 and 50-year-old cars that I have gotten used to working on!

Everything seems to be in very good condition and I just don’t want to do harm but I need to get this stale old gas out of this thing and I do not want to drop the fuel tank to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for having me!
9DF3BDB0-6E69-4AC1-8AA9-F72FE51497FF.jpeg

D7954910-649F-4798-A736-AE1427312371.jpeg

07B0F48D-F448-4DED-BC2A-9C31C7A026BA.jpeg

9FAB6323-C85A-4506-8B54-BE426DF30138.jpeg

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
View attachment 1653699
View attachment 1653705
Admin - If this is posted in the wrong area please relocate to the appropriate area. Thanks

I just bought an 03 cobra with 88,000 miles on it that has been in storage for 10+ years.
Needless to say I’m stoked to finally own a Terminator and this is my very first Mustang!

I’m going through the car doing all routine maintenance before driving the vehicle.
I did start the car and ran it to hear it and went through the gears to make sure it shifted and would actually drive.

The problem I’m having is actually powering the fuel pump to drain the tank.

This is fairly easy and straightforward on any other car that I’ve use the in-take pump to drain the tank but on this cobra since there is no real access to the fuel pump relay it makes it a lot more complicated.
The car has a Kenny Bell boost-a-pump in the trunk and I don’t want to mess it up attempting to jump wires to power the pump.
I figured out the relay is in a box in the passenger front wheel well that is sealed and looks like I would have to drill rivets to open it which I would rather not do.

I’m not new to completely going through a car and reviving something that’s been dead for decades but this is proving to be a little bit more challenging than the 40 and 50-year-old cars that I have gotten used to working on!

Everything seems to be in very good condition and I just don’t want to do harm but I need to get this stale old gas out of this thing and I do not want to drop the fuel tank to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for having me! View attachment 1653698
View attachment 1653702
View attachment 1653703
View attachment 1653704

Sweet purchase, everything is in here. Or contact the/a tuner and have them give you a tune that runs the pumps on key on. Good luck, enjoy the car.
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/quick-easy-way-to-drain-gas-tank.296393/

Derek Baer

Sweet purchase, everything is in here. Or contact the/a tuner and have them give you a tune that runs the pumps on key on. Good luck, enjoy the car.
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/quick-easy-way-to-drain-gas-tank.296393/
My Man!!! thanks for that!!!! I knew I had to be making it much more difficult than it needed to be.
I did search for a thread but didn’t come across that one.
I’m sure I’ll have a bunch of other things I’ll be asking soon!
Thanks again!!

Derek Baer

Well, I thought that would do it but looks like my car has a completely different fuse box under the hood then the example you gave me.
So back to square one… Aside from getting a hold of a tuner to make the pump run when on got any other ideas?
401C524F-6C22-4422-9DDF-910E195763F5.jpeg

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
You are right about our fp relay being inside the ccrm inside the fender, and the how-to link above is for a lightning. But I believe you can do almost all the steps it mentions, except in our cars you would jumper the wires at the fpdm in the trunk. I will try to verify which pins you would jumper to run the pumps.

hotcobra03

Established Member
When I did mine

I jumped wires at connector under rear bumper

I put a hose on fuel line just below passenger head. There is an old school white pull tab to remove line

No tools needed

Derek Baer

Nice! Thanks guys but I ended up replacing the fuel filter And used an extra Holley Blue pump time drain the tank at the fitting.
Tank emptied, fresh Mobile one and K&N filter so it’s time for a first drive!!

Thanks for the responses.

shurur

Established Member
Was going to say that you can also siphon where the vent hose is on the passenger side.

Just remove the clamp, pull the hose and run a siphon. You just need to waggle it around a bit to get most of the fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread