Drag Radials on a DD

ptim

Established Member
Anyone have drag radials on there daily driver, preferably 315/35/17's. Comments, good, bad.

grendel

Established Member
i have the nittos on mine, they are great for all weather driving. i havent had a problem with them in the rain yet. dont expext good milage out of a dr for a daily dsriver though.

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
I was also thinking of putting them on my DD cobra...but I know the mileage sucks...what would be another good sticky tire that lasts a while? 50 miles round trip to work and back 5 days a week :)

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
I have BFG 295/35 DR's on my car. I wouldnt recommend DD'ing them at all. They are REALLY sticky and will probably only last me about 5-6k miles..... But then again, my car only sees around 4-5k a year anyways.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Pros:
When you want to run someone from a red light, you will likely have a traction advantage. And I like to think these tires are safer, simply because they offer more traction.

Cons:
Obviously, the drag radials will not last too long. And you need to be *extremely* cautious about driving on wet surfaces. In fact, I wouldn't even do it. Drag radials and wet roads do not work well together. Also, since the drag radials are so soft, they will pick every last bit of debris up off the road and deposit a fair portion of it on top of your gas tank as well as other components under your car. I have problems with rocks building up on my spring isolators!

ptim

Established Member
wurd2 said:
Pros:
When you want to run someone from a red light, you will likely have a traction advantage. And I like to think these tires are safer, simply because they offer more traction.

Cons:
Obviously, the drag radials will not last too long. And you need to be *extremely* cautious about driving on wet surfaces. In fact, I wouldn't even do it. Drag radials and wet roads do not work well together. Also, since the drag radials are so soft, they will pick every last bit of debris up off the road and deposit a fair portion of it on top of your gas tank as well as other components under your car. I have problems with rocks building up on my spring isolators!

Thanks, good perspective, not a lot of choices for a inexpensive 315 tire. The drag radials were a good choice, but I drive mine everyday and in the rain, I'm not big fan of hydroplaning either.

uwood

Established Member
I am running the Mickey Thompson DR right now on my car. They came on it when I bought it. I am using the car as my DD. Rain is no fun at all. However on dry roads it is fabulous. I get great traction. I do get a fair amount of road debris flung up under the car. Something I am willing to live with. No. I am looking to get regular tires asap.

PKFIRE

Established Member
The nittos come with 6/32" tread where most regular radials come with 10/32 to 11/32" tread. Looking at the tread pattern on the nittos I haven't had any worst of problem driving with these than a tires in the rain with the same amount of tread remaining. I think if your driving them everyday don't go under the 2/32" marker like any other radial.

I have over 3000 miles with 4/32" remaining. I say I can get about 7000 miles out of it before it hits the 2/32" mark. After that I'll only put them on during track days but to be safe as DD I would just drive on regular 275/40/17 street tires. They last at least twice as long and cost less.

PKFIRE

Established Member
MyFordFoc1 said:
I was also thinking of putting them on my DD cobra...but I know the mileage sucks...what would be another good sticky tire that lasts a while? 50 miles round trip to work and back 5 days a week :)

You'll be buying Drag radials at least tires twice a year!

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
uwood said:
I am running the Mickey Thompson DR right now on my car. They came on it when I bought it. I am using the car as my DD. Rain is no fun at all. However on dry roads it is fabulous. I get great traction. I do get a fair amount of road debris flung up under the car. Something I am willing to live with. No. I am looking to get regular tires asap.

you bought a car that came with M/T DR's? Hope you werent looking for something that was pampered...

ptim

Established Member
I went with the 315/35/17 Nitto Drag radial, THEY STICK, but I'm disappointed in the width, they arent as wide as my BFG's, I really like the wide rear look.

CobraKid04

Established Member
what about nitto on an 18 inch rim, they dont make 315 from what i have seen do i have to go with 305. Or is there an alternative.

SS THiS

03 Lightning
Established Member
I got the nitto drags! They stick very good in dry weather and slipperly in wet! I am on my second pair now!

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Got my 305 Nitto 555R's on my Lightning and they are better than the stock eagle f1s. No experience in the rain yet, I blew my tranny the other night :(

uwood

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
you bought a car that came with M/T DR's? Hope you werent looking for something that was pampered...

I already knew the history of the car. It was pampered. The guy had just bought them (tires) when his wife got preggo. He had to trade it in on a SUV. Her request. I bought it with 22xxx miles. It had made 3 passes total at the track. Hey it went 11.7 at Cordova IL.

281cubes

Wish I Had an SVT
mike v said:
what about nitto on an 18 inch rim, they dont make 315 from what i have seen do i have to go with 305. Or is there an alternative.

BFG makes a 345.:uh oh:

My Nitto 315's are on their last leg and I've gotten two summers out of them. ~12k miles Of course, I've never done a burnout with them nor am I pushing big power. Also, they're better in the wet than my GS-D3's. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread