Drag radials in rain

demongeist

Established Member
Is there any drag radials I can run in the rain ? I was thinking they might hold up better then street tires. I only got 4000 miles out of my last street tires.

jlauth

Established Member
I drive with mine in the rain, but I don't drive in the rain often. If you are careful you shouldn't have a problem.

My Nittos are have held up good so far, even though they are almost brand new. With the BFGs I could already see some wear at 500 mi.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
If you only got 4k out of your last street tiers somthing is wrong, stop burn n out and no drags and rain dont mix warm or dry weather only.

BittenInBama

Established Member
I got caught in the rain making the normally two hour drive home from a show in Memphis when I had my 03. At 30-40 mph I was white knuckling on a divided 4 lane. Was oh so happy to get out from under the cloud!! Would never drive with Nitto DRs in the rain again if I didn't have to.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
As Nancy Regan said, just say no. I've been on this board since 2002 and I lost count of the number of guys who wrecked because of using DR's in the rain. Usually you're OK, but if your rear tires hit some deep water, or you have to turn quickly, there's no way to catch it when it goes. The more you know about tires, including tread, compound and construction, the more you realize it's dumb.

zeus201

Established Member
Only been caught in the rain twice with DR. 1st time was the same night that I bought the car and driving back and got caught in a rain storm and got side ways going up a incline on I-80. Second time was a freak rain storm and pulled over to the side of the road and waited for an hour for the road to dry. Both times my heart was racing because the complete lack of control and you can feel the rear end just planing on top of the water. I about lost control of the car each time and probably would have caused quite the accident!

It's basically driving on ice with 400+ hp and it's really scary. I would highly recommend not ever driving in rain w/DR's. Not a smart a idea!

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
Don't do it if you don't have to..
:beer: i got 555r`s on my 97 when i bought it & they will be off soon just get 2 extra wheels for the DR`s

Only been caught in the rain twice with DR. 1st time was the same night that I bought the car and driving back and got caught in a rain storm and got side ways going up a incline on I-80. Second time was a freak rain storm and pulled over to the side of the road and waited for an hour for the road to dry. Both times my heart was racing because the complete lack of control and you can feel the rear end just planing on top of the water. I about lost control of the car each time and probably would have caused quite the accident!

It's basically driving on ice with 400+ hp and it's really scary. I would highly recommend not ever driving in rain w/DR's. Not a smart a idea!
x2 it sucks but 97 doesnt make as much power as our 03`s

DONT DO IT DUDE !!!!!! got a crazy story why i will never do it &

04RiceEater

Established Member
I drive mine in the rain only cause its my DD and their bald! I can feel the car floating sometimes and I take a dump in my pants but what can I do? If I get street tires I cant hook! Nittos are your best bet if you intend to drive it often and in the rain.

I drive mine in the rain only cause its my DD and their bald! I can feel the car floating sometimes and I take a dump in my pants but what can I do? If I get street tires I cant hook! Nittos are your best bet if you intend to drive it often and in the rain.

:lol::lol::lol:

Juruense

Banned
Not only will rain be a problem with DRs but sand and loose gravel will be as well.

Run DRs on a prepped track surface only for the safety of yourself and the other drivers around you.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Nitto dr's have been decent for me.,,. you just can't drive like a douchnozzlle in the rain :shrug:

TORQJNKY

Had to drive home 3 hours in the poring rain late last night with my Nitto DR's. The rear got a little squirrley quite a few times just driving down the highway. Needless to say I had white knuckles at 10 and 2 all the way home. Not fun but no problems, thank god.

Last edited:

PKFIRE

Established Member
Why are the nitto 555R's bad in the rain? Is it the large contact patch? I think it has a typical tread pattern and 6/32" tread is decent amount. Looking at the MT 275/40/17 I'd be scared to death in the rain since there is no way the water can channel out of these tires.

MustangThief

Established Member
Nitto dr's have been decent for me.,,. you just can't drive like a douchnozzlle in the rain :shrug:

Exactly.

I wonder if half the people who are deathly afraid of running DRs(Nittos) in the rain have ever even done it or if this is a bandwaggon affair?

I have ran DR's DAILY, in the rain A TON, for almost 7 years now. And I've acted like a douchenozzle in the rain a few times and as long as you know what the hell you're doing, it's fine.

This is for the Nitto 555r, i can't comment on other radials but the 555R's work fine in the rain...

Users who are viewing this thread