Drag radial rubbing with drop

06colorado

Established Member
I have the H&R Sports, AM says it gives the rear a 2.4" drop. Just bought a set of dark star 15x8 with 275/60 MT and the passenger side rubs pretty hard on a good launch. The driver side looked to touch lightly as well. I do have an adjustable panhard bar but I dont think this will help. Anyone have any ideas? maybe thicker spring isolator(not sure if it has one now or not)and center the axle better or a drag bag kit?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Pretty low drop to be leaving hard on, may be just too low. Are you on adjustable shocks out back? I run Steeda boss springs and don't rub on a 275/60 but on a 15x10 which stretches the tire a little more. What's the backspace on your 15x8's?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Swap your springs, H&R super sports are horrible for drag racing. Good for road racing though. I sold mine not too long ago, I couldn't take the bumps in the roads anymore feeling everything little bump I went over.

06colorado

Established Member
No adjustable shocks. Am says 5.3" back spacing. So should I go with the eibach kit? I really like how the h&r sit with my 19's. what's the lowest I could go and be ok

1FSTcoBra

Established Member
I have eibach sportlines and I had to put spring helpers in the rear to keep from my drag radials from rubbing it raised it about a 1/4 in.

CPRsm

If you're rubbing on launch tour suspension isn't getting enough anti squat. Your controla arms are probably pointed down. Pointed down the axle rotation pulls the axle into the body. You want the rotation to force the rear out of the car into the ground creating traction. If you're not rubbing during driving you're probably fine. Just need to get the suspension geomtery worked out.

alex12gt

Established Member
I ran eibach pro kit and that worked great but on a buddys with the Ss springs he had the same issue

06colorado

Established Member
Control arms are on the list to get next. It doesn't rub while driving unless I hit a good rolling bump.

clean92lx

Established Member
from what I've read, the 15x8's stick out further past the fender than the 15x10's due to back spacing or off set. If you want to keep those springs, maybe try the 15x10's...

06colorado

Established Member
Will the drag bag kit raise the car when pressurized. What the hell is a getting football? Is that using a football like a bag kit?

01bluesnake

Established Member
If AM says 5.3" bs for the back space, then its not correct for our chassis. Anything pre 05 can use a 5.5" bs, we need a 6.5" bs for a 15x8 and 7.5" bs for 15x10. If your bs is 5.3", then your wheels are pushed out a .25" farther than my 15x10's which I imagine would rub regardless of spring type.

Only way to correct this is getting a correct bs wheel.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Will the drag bag kit raise the car when pressurized. What the hell is a getting football? Is that using a football like a bag kit?

It won't raise it but it'll help with compression.

And yeah a football is the ghetto way of doing it.

06colorado

Established Member
If AM says 5.3" bs for the back space, then its not correct for our chassis. Anything pre 05 can use a 5.5" bs, we need a 6.5" bs for a 15x8 and 7.5" bs for 15x10. If your bs is 5.3", then your wheels are pushed out a .25" farther than my 15x10's which I imagine would rub regardless of spring type.

Only way to correct this is getting a correct bs wheel.

Well that sucks. Thats the only one they show on the website and standard from 05-14.
Dark Star Mustang Drag Wheel - 15x8 (05-14 GT, V6) 92-580350DSD - Free Shipping!

stang910

Established Member
Control arm relocation brackets should fix your issue. Like CPRsm said your control arms are probably pointed down. When the axle twists it pulls the body down causing your tires to go into the wheel wells. Relocation brackets will allow the control arms to push up against the body reducing the amount of squat your seeing.

06colorado

Established Member
Small update. Ordered the CHE anti squat brackets, and finally got them installed last week. Also installed the CHE axle brace while I was under there. The car didnt squat nearly as much if hardly any. Weight transfer still felt good, but with the drag radial on they still rubbed just barely. Without any other options I went ahead and ordered BMR rear lowering springs to get the rear up just alittle more. Got them install yesterday and they clear no prop now so I took it to a street drag event here in town. Its a no prep, no time, 1/8th mile race. All I can say is this thing hooks and books!!! No wheel hop or spin launching at 3k on asphalt. These are the time why I really enjoy this car. Thanks for the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread