Drag Radial Recommendation 680 RWHP

Travis04mach

Established Member
Hey guys, just ordered a set of 18x10 and 18x9 wheels. What tire sizes and brand would you recommend for a 04 Cobra making 680whp. I know the recommended tire size for a 10 inch wheel is 285 but I think I could push it to a 305 but not sure. As for the front im thinking a 275/35. Thanks!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I don’t run radials I run the G2 Nittos and they hook but I make less power than you. A lot of people here rave about the R88 Toyo tides maybe look into those? A friend of mine runs M/T and really likes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04torchred

Established Member
I have been searching on this also. I have always run Nitto NT555Rs as my street drag radial and MT ET radials for when you needed to hook better on the street.

Stock engine with my Whipple I was 685rwhp on pump. 555R's would hook top of 2nd into 3rd fine. 1st got annihilated! When fairly fresh the 555R's aren't bad in the rain.

I hear good things on the Toyo R888 or R888R's vs the nittos so I am most likely going to try a set of those, but in 17" size.

How often are you planning to drive the car? Will the tires be intended for street fun where you need to hook? What you want the tire to do will help choose. You may want a bit more tire height as well depending on the intent.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
M&H racemaster 325/45-18. Look no further. I loved my m&h’s, have mickeys now because I got a deal on buying two sets. The Mickey is also a very good tire. I’d suggest one of those two.
I found the r888’s as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

stangfreak

Established Member
mickey, m&h or hoosier like stated above. You can take the nittos and toyos and set them on fire. Junk. But people on here say, but but my toyos hook on ice with 1000rwtq.

when I bought the nt05, my tuner started making fun of me and said, feel your tire compound now go to the mustang on the lift and feel the mickeys. Keep in mind I had the original mickeys on my car and knew they were softer but I wanted to try a different tire. New nitto tire and because the people on the internet said so. so it must be true. The mickeys were like pliable. so soft and that mustang was in the shop for a week. My car just rolled in after driving it around and to the shop and didn't even come close to the mickeys. sold them and ordered my mickeys again and ta da....The car hooks 10x better.

Travis04mach

Established Member
My car is a low mileage Comp Orange Cobra so it wont be driven much except on nice days or to car shows, closest track is 2 hours away so wont see much of that either. So I really don't need a tire for rain, daily driving etc. I think my biggest issue here is being limited to a 10in wheel and trying to a find a drag radial to fit it. I'd love to run a 325 M&H but theres no way in hell it would fit.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
My car is a low mileage Comp Orange Cobra so it wont be driven much except on nice days or to car shows, closest track is 2 hours away so wont see much of that either. So I really don't need a tire for rain, daily driving etc. I think my biggest issue here is being limited to a 10in wheel and trying to a find a drag radial to fit it. I'd love to run a 325 M&H but theres no way in hell it would fit.
It will easily fit. My father runs the 325 m&h tire on a 9inch wheel with ease. On a 10 there will be little to no overhang of the tire.

BYEPOLR

Established Member
It will easily fit. My father runs the 325 m&h tire on a 9inch wheel with ease. On a 10 there will be little to no overhang of the tire.
325 on a 9" wheel huh? why? lol

OP a 305/35 on a 10" is a great fit. If you want to hook a bit more just drop your tire pressure before you drive it. There isn't an 18" tire out there that won't spin at your power level or above.

Travis04mach

Established Member

OP a 305/35 on a 10" is a great fit. If you want to hook a bit more just drop your tire pressure before you drive it. There isn't an 18" tire out there that won't spin at your power level or above.

Yea thats what im thinking, 305/35 Mickey Thompson

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally hated the Nittos 555r and hooked like crap when I was making 455 rwhp. The toyos also lasted me much longer.

The Toyo R888 were night and day difference. I have a new pair likely going on this year. The bad is they are noisy. Not so bad initially, but the more they wear the louder they get.

Here is a old video hooking on 19lbs on e85 with r888. Not sure on hp at the time, but would guess 660-680.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member

I have no idea why he decided to buy a full set of 9inch wheels. o_O

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I
I have a NIB TVS I’m about to install on my low mile Terminator. Those numbers are motivating me to get it out on.

It’s a proven playbook and why I went tvs.

R888s are great. Nice to have grip but also be able to corner vs soft sidewall dr’s.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
R888 and 555r is same tire compound, same rubber. Toyo owns Nitto tires. You must of got a old pair of 555r or something bc ive have/had both too and not much difference between them

Sent from my LG-H830 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Who knows, but I was lucky if I got 3k miles on them. I have roughly 6500-7000k miles on my r888. I could go probably another 2k miles but traction is becoming less.

If those two tires are nearly exactly the same, I'd think more cobra owners with 600+rwhp would use them.

I'm sold on never buying them again, just sharing my experience.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I would suggest 15x10's but since you already ordered the 18's can't do that. I know of a ctsv making around 900 or more(he claims mid 600's lol) but he is rocking MT SS I don't know if it's in 305/315 or 325 but I can say he hooks on the highway and walks a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread