Drag Racing...

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I'm surprised that they booked you on just the word of a witness. Don't mean to be insensitive, but are you sure you're telling us the whole story?

If what you said is absolutely true and if it were me, I'd probably get a lawyer, get the charge dropped, then sue the "witness".

ImShakn

Established Member
I'm surprised that they booked you on just the word of a witness. Don't mean to be insensitive, but are you sure you're telling us the whole story?

If what you said is absolutely true and if it were me, I'd probably get a lawyer, get the charge dropped, then sue the "witness".

Unless it can be shown that the witness knowingly gave false information, it is useless to sue the witness.

ZeroFear

Banned
If your story is true, then get a lawyer and have him dispute it. If he is half decent it should go away. Most of the time you only get a ticket if there is solid proof, like video , radar, or multiple officers as witness.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Even if an offduty/other officer called it in (through dispatch) there still would be a computer record generated. (at least in this area)...everything that comes in on the phones gets a computer record. (as far as responses go)

Duran

Matador
Established Member
Here in Houston they have been having under cover officers in unmarked cars(trucks, rent-a-cars, etc) with radars and cameras on the dash boards video taping and radaring those who are breaking the law at that given point. They then would call it in and direct the marked car to pull over who ever they have witness doing the crime. It was on the news here and said other states have been practicing the same tactics. Just a thought.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Here in Houston they have been having under cover officers in unmarked cars(trucks, rent-a-cars, etc) with radars and cameras on the dash boards video taping and radaring those who are breaking the law at that given point. They then would call it in and direct the marked car to pull over who ever they have witness doing the crime. It was on the news here and said other states have been practicing the same tactics. Just a thought.

I install all the police equipment in this area and i got to do an install on a new mustang gt, a 02 SS and a f150 that were going to be used or rented around for this. Was kinda cool to do an undercover car that had it all hidden but sucked knowing what it would be doing.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well since the question has been asked, can a LEO give a ticket just based on a witness assuming the witness isnt present to verify you were the car/person they seen?

We had a simiar situation, where they confused a friends car for a car someone seen racing and the cop was giving him hell about it. The officer didnt do anything just asked a few questions, but was pretty pissed.

Drew1204

Established Member

hmmm... thats interesting. However, wouldnt the cop have had to know basically have it all set up and basically know that we were going to be there. It may have been random though, if i was a half mile ahead of any other car around, are the dashboard videos good enough to determine who was in what car? I also have a radar in car - it did not go off.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
hmmm... thats interesting. However, wouldnt the cop have had to know basically have it all set up and basically know that we were going to be there. It may have been random though, if i was a half mile ahead of any other car around, are the dashboard videos good enough to determine who was in what car? I also have a radar in car - it did not go off.

Not necessarily.Taking a chance by being "1/2 mile ahead" of any car.Two types of street racing in NC,per-arranged-a bunch of cars lined up on the side,spectators and cars racing.Spontaneous-just pulling up beside another car,reving and hitting it.Dont need a radar to see the obvious.Street racing will be a much bigger violation than speeding alone

Drew1204

Established Member
Not necessarily.Taking a chance by being "1/2 mile ahead" of any car.Two types of street racing in NC,per-arranged-a bunch of cars lined up on the side,spectators and cars racing.Spontaneous-just pulling up beside another car,reving and hitting it.Dont need a radar to see the obvious.Street racing will be a much bigger violation than speeding alone

dont they need evidence to convict?

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
For spontaneous the officers testimony obviously is enough.Pre arranged,yes.But as mentioned,a bunch of cars lined up on the side of the road,spectators and "obvious" signs of racing is going to be tough to beat

babigurl

racing

I have no idea what or how much the cops can use from what i say here (or if they can even find it... just being anal), so im only going to keep it brief.

Me and a friend were driving around. We pulled up to some stopped cars and they were obviously organized in street racing. Me and my friend pulled around them on a dotted yellow and continued to pass them. I did not exceed the speed limit when i passed them, and used my turn signal. I then continued down about 2 miles. A cop pulled up behind me and my friend. The next light he told me to pull over. The whole thing is that the cop never actually saw me, radared me, nothing, only off of a witness that someone had called in. I have no idea what the witness said only that the witness had said that she saw me street racing. Me and my friend both got a ticket for Drag Racing and have a court date.

When thy booked me and everything like that, they read me my rights and i told them nothing and just said i wanted a lawyer.

How much trouble can i be in? What is the most they can do? Any added info would be awesome... thanks guys :)
well idk where you live but i was 9 months preggers and had some false contractions goin on that scared my husband, there was a civic in another lane that was driving stupid, well my hubby passed him and wound up passing the hospital...we got pulled for racing the officer refused medical service said that he was doing 80 mph(within 60 ft from where we turned)he was only actually doing 55,the officer had no proof what so ever that we were racing,he didnt even pull the other car...well my hubby got a traffic lawyer,and it got dropped to wreckless since he has a driving record...but if this is your first offense i would get a traffic lawyer and let it go to trial adventually they will get tired of you and dropp it...GL

Users who are viewing this thread