Drag racing with the track pack

NJredfire03

Established Member
Any of you track pack owners take the car down the strip? How about with DR's? I'm looking to get back into drag racing since my last time in high school 13 years ago. Just want to get the pros and cons. I've seen the Torsen stand up to some abuse, which is good. Just want to get other first hand experiences. My car is stock minus MGW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breitling

Established Member
I'd like to hear some opinions on this as well. I haven't been to strip for maybe 10+ years?

I am stock with the track pack and have Nitto drag radials (NT555R).

With such a long first gear, I don't think it will be easy to launch this car either.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I've read stock power and 3.31's you gotta take advance trac off and launch at 4K plus. Not sure if I want to put that kind of stress on the rear. Making me want to stick to a street tire or a R888. Won't have to launch so high. I want to road course the car initially. But I won't have the time or initial cash to get on the track. So I wanted to get some good use out of the car and drag race. Less time consuming, and cheaper track time. I would never compete, I just want to have some fun with the car.

paluka21

Established Member
Once you throw on drag radials with a stock tune, you're going to find out what clutch protection feels like when trying to launch the car. Feels like someone is holding the brakes as you're attempting to accelerate when launching. And this is with the nannies turned off.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Once you throw on drag radials with a stock tune, you're going to find out what clutch protection feels like when trying to launch the car. Feels like someone is holding the brakes as you're attempting to accelerate when launching. And this is with the nannies turned off.

Ah dammit. I'm not lookin to tune the car. Looks like I'm gonna stick to a street tire. How's launching with the LC with street tires?

paluka21

Established Member
Ah dammit. I'm not lookin to tune the car. Looks like I'm gonna stick to a street tire. How's launching with the LC with street tires?

Well the drag radials vastly improve traction, don't get me wrong. It's if you try to launch the car from a dead stop you will get into a situation where clutch protection is more likely to kick in because the tires aren't spinning, rather dead hooking causing more stress on the drivetrain.
I'm not a fan of the nannies or how they perform, as I think they really hinder the capabilities of the car from a launching perspective. But unfortunately with the Goodyear tires Ford put on the car, it needs nannies to help prevent the car from spinning the tires through 3rd, but also from destroying the clutch, hence clutch protection.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Well the drag radials vastly improve traction, don't get me wrong. It's if you try to launch the car from a dead stop you will get into a situation where clutch protection is more likely to kick in because the tires aren't spinning, rather dead hooking causing more stress on the drivetrain.
I'm not a fan of the nannies or how they perform, as I think they really hinder the capabilities of the car from a launching perspective. But unfortunately with the Goodyear tires Ford put on the car, it needs nannies to help prevent the car from spinning the tires through 3rd, but also from destroying the clutch, hence clutch protection.

No I understand why they're there. If I wanted to tune the car this would be a non issue. I'm more than likely going to get R888's. And go from there. I really am more worried about the rear. Now that I won't be getting DR's, I won't worry as much.

Beercules

Established Member
Any launch (that kinda hooks) will cause your diff to start whining, too much power for the 8.8. LC will get you a consistent 2.1 (?) Sec 60' time. I don't remember because it's easy to get to 1.8 by launching at 2500 rpm.
Its difficult to get traction with 555s. I have drag shocks \struts this year, hope to hook.

Ive read stick cars like bias ply tires.

Beercules

Established Member
And you need to take your time on the 1-2 shift or it will grind. Something to do with the synchros equalizing gear speeds too quickly in the trans? Carbon fiber synchros are supposed to be the true fix.

I've heard a good launch with stock gears is testing the stock clutch.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Ok then. Looks like I'll just take it easy with launching on street tires. I'm really not interested in breaking and upgrading.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
For drag racing car really needs a gear. 3:31's just doesn't give enough torque multiplication to launch the car with any sort of gusto.

You want at minimum a 3:90 gear or 4:10's. That with stock power and a tire will get you low 11's or even high 10's at a decent track and air.

Tony

rdsnk46

Established Member
3500 rpm launch burned the clutch, 11.0 @ 129
2500 rpm launch perfect 10.84 @ 130

Nitto 555R DR's

The clutch is the week point, the trans gearing combined with 3.31's to a lot to roll out. The TQ made down lo by our cars is far too much for the stock clutch.

NJredfire03

Established Member
3500 rpm launch burned the clutch, 11.0 @ 129
2500 rpm launch perfect 10.84 @ 130

Nitto 555R DR's

The clutch is the week point, the trans gearing combined with 3.31's to a lot to roll out. The TQ made down lo by our cars is far too much for the stock clutch.

Did you end up replacing the clutch? This is all stock except DR's?

HighTorque

Established Member
once you throw on drag radials with a stock tune, you're going to find out what clutch protection feels like when trying to launch the car. Feels like someone is holding the brakes as you're attempting to accelerate when launching. And this is with the nannies turned off.

this... I have dragged my car about a dozen times. Had better 60' times stock than did with full suspension and drag wheel setup becaus of clutch protection.

Users who are viewing this thread