Drag Racing Tire/Wheel - sanity check

Grimster

Established Member
Ok, so I'm relatively new to drag racing tires and whatnot, so I've been searching the forums quite a bit. I *think* I have what I need figured out, but wanted to make sure it was the correct school of thought before I start purchasing things.

So I currently have an 03 cobra with stock suspension (except for IRS brace and FLSFC's) , stock 3.55 gears and have it mildy modded. I've read many times over that using a bias-ply slick will help maintain my rear end from breaking as well as help with my wheel hop because the soft sidewall absorb most of the shock from the "hit" at the start of the drag race.

I've also read that a 16" wheel is the smallest you can go with our IRS and rear brake setup. You CAN go 15", which would open up more wheel/tire choices, but at the expense of having to grind some material away from the tierod to make it all fit. I don't want to do that, so 16" it is. I also know that the wider the better. From what I understand, the older Mustang GT rims are 16x8 or 16x7.5 which will work if you can find them. I can't find any on my local craigslist or in the immediate area.

I've found these 16x8 cobra rims on American Muscle :

Silver 1995 Cobra R Wheels (1999-2004) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I found these 16x8 or 16x10 from diamond racing :

DIAMOND RACING WHEELS

unsure if any of the rims listed above would need any back spacers, also not sure if that makes a difference based on the tire you are sticking on it (again, Im a noob).

So I want to buy a set of 2 rims that I can have some bias-ply slicks on just for track use. And in the off chance that I can't swap out the wheels at the track, I'd like to be able to drive to the track with them on. So I believe that leaves me with either Mickey Thompson ET Street's or Hoosier Pro D.O.T.'s.

Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

Hoosier Quick Time Pro D.O.T. Drag Tires - JEGS

If I was to use the 16x8" wheel I would use one set of these tires :

Hoosier 17603QTP Hoosier Quick Time Pro D.O.T. Drag Tires

with the 16x10" wheels I suppose I would use the same tires because I don't know if you can go wider than 11.50.

Right now, from other threads I've read, it looks like a 26" tall tire is what I should be getting. The 28" tall tire is recommended for higher hp from what I can tell (500+).

Wow this got long. Anyway, am I on the right track?

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
This is what I did, http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/842025-modify-16-gt-wheels-slicks-tubes.html

I know you said you don't have many in the area, but it works. From what you said it sounds like you are right on track with the IRS with the Larger sidewalled Slick. I have a 335 Hoosier on 17x10.5 rim and I use a 3/8' spacer for cruising on nice days and the occasional highway rolling race. Remember that the ply tires like MT ET streets are narrower, I am using a 26"x10.5 on an 7.5" rim, and they should only be used with other NON Radials up front. Just ordered skinnies for the front with bias-ply (8ply) MT.

Good luck but your right on track.

Last edited:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I used the 16" gt "waffle star" wheel without issue a few years back on IRS. Ran a 26x11.5x16 hoosier QTP. Just an ugly wheel, but cheap though.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
26/11,50/16 ET STREET on a 16x10 Diamond Racing Wheel
314s8lv.jpg

Grimster

Established Member
excellent! thanks guys.

10thSVT_03 - great pic! Love the wrinkling on the launch. What rpm was that at? How was the top end with your radials on in the front?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Diamond Racing 16x10's bolt right up no grinding, no spacers on an IRS Pulled 1.51 60' with them and M+H Cheater slicks 26x11.5x16 launching at 3k with an Eaton.

Keithcobra1.gif

cobraJason

Established Member
Hey guys I too am looking at purchasing some 16x10 diamond racing's just wondering what the backspacing is that you guys went with

Users who are viewing this thread