Door rattle

fordification

Established Member
Anybody else have a driver's side door rattle? I'll have to be clear about this first, the truck has 12k miles on it, and have had it since 2k, so it's pratically mint. I'm surprised about this rattle, that is only heard when the weather warms up. The door is very tightly latched on the striker so its not the actual door, but sounds more like the linkage for the handle is touching something inside. I put tension on the handle but it still does it under bumps.

Even if I pull it apart, it'll be hard to replicate the rattle.

I know my 98 has a similiar rattle, and I know its because the exterior handle has plastic arms that broke off so something near the lock tumbler rattles.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Try taking the door panel off and driving it to see if that allows you to better pinpoint the location the sound is originating from. My guess is that it's coming from the linkage you mentioned. A little felt tape would fix that.

BT2001SVT

I'm an Agent of CHAOS!!
Established Member
My first L did the same thing, sounded like it was the door rattling on the striker for me though. I tried isolating the sound to see if it was something else by taking the door panel off but couldn't find anything behind it that was loose or rattling. I came to the conclusion that it was the door and the striker bumping each other some how when the door was closed. My door was tight as well, didn't hang or sag in any way or rub anywhere and closed perfectly. It only did it while going over certain bumps, but I never took it to try and get the door re-aligned and wound up trading it for a newer L so I never got it fixed.

If you ask me though, if it's the same sound that mine was making, it has to be the striker, even though my door closed fine and didn't seem to hang or sag or even rub anywhere, I would still take it to a good body shop and see if they can't line it up for you.

if you find out it's something else, let us know as I would like to know what was causing that sound if not the striker.

BT

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Also check where the window guides bolt to the door frame, one of mine were loose causing it to rattle when I closed the door.

fordification

Established Member
My first L did the same thing, sounded like it was the door rattling on the striker for me though. I tried isolating the sound to see if it was something else by taking the door panel off but couldn't find anything behind it that was loose or rattling. I came to the conclusion that it was the door and the striker bumping each other some how when the door was closed. My door was tight as well, didn't hang or sag in any way or rub anywhere and closed perfectly. It only did it while going over certain bumps, but I never took it to try and get the door re-aligned and wound up trading it for a newer L so I never got it fixed.

If you ask me though, if it's the same sound that mine was making, it has to be the striker, even though my door closed fine and didn't seem to hang or sag or even rub anywhere, I would still take it to a good body shop and see if they can't line it up for you.

if you find out it's something else, let us know as I would like to know what was causing that sound if not the striker.

BT

Very well could be. It's weird, in that it seems to be temperature sensitive. When the heat builds in the cab, and I'm driving, you can hear it slightly click just from vibration and not over bumps, but then eventually it matches to the bumps.

fordification

Established Member
Also check where the window guides bolt to the door frame, one of mine were loose causing it to rattle when I closed the door.

I'll have to check that when I pull the panel. thanks

Just aggravating considering it's almost brand-spanking-new. Old guy drove it 1000miles for 5 years. Thats 200miles per year. Talk about babied.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread