Don't you hate know-it-alls?

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
:mj:

I was at my local autozone picking up 7 quarts of oil (Mobile 1 5w-30 if anyone really cares), as our cars take 6.5 quarts. Anyway I was with my girlfriend, and she was looking at whatever it is girls look at in autopart stores and she came over and said something along the lines of "holy shit I can't believe the Cobra takes all that oil".

The guy checking me out promptly goes on a soap-box rant about how there's no way I should be using all that oil in "only a 4.6L Mustang", and I just smiled and told him not to worry about it, and he told me I was going to blow my engine up. I just looked at the kid (maybe 19? 20? I'm only 22 though so I shouldn't really say kid but the way he was acting..) and gladly informed him my car is a 32V DOHC motor, and that 6.5 quarts of oil is perfect for it. He then proceeded to tell me that no Mustang has 4 valves, that's impossible for a v8. :shrug: :shrug: I couldn't even bring myself to respond at this point, in fact I found it very amusing.

I really hate know it alls, and unfortunetly, in the car world they seem to be everywhere. I can't even buy ****in' oil without having to listen to these clowns. Sorry for the rant, that shit just annoys me.

JasonSnake

Established Member
who informed that guy that you had a mustang in the first place?? Anyway, I would have said something along the lines of "I want to see what happens when I put too much oil in my engine" I basically steep very low to that person's iq level so not to waste my time arguing about what's comin out of his mouth

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
JasonSnake said:
who informed that guy that you had a mustang in the first place?? Anyway, I would have said something along the lines of "I want to see what happens when I put too much oil in my engine" I basically steep very low to that person's iq level so not to waste my time arguing about what's comin out of his mouth

My girlfriend mentioned I had a cobra when she was talking about how much oil i bought...something along the lines of "i can't believe the cobra takes that much oil"

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
what a douche. I hate it when parts guy say stupid things. Little do they know I'm a certified tech and probably know more than they do...

Kinda like "nope, nope. Those 8.8's dont need any friction modifer and they run 75w140 oil in them. 75w90 is too thin" right.......

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
yep...those idiots are out there and unfortunately a LOT of them work at the auto places. I've had my fair share of "educational" discussions with them, now I just try to buy all my stuff at Wal-Mart.

Though last time at Wallyworld buying some oil and spark plugs(not for the Cobra), the check out girl proceeded to tell me that tune-ups were a waste for cars.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
what a douche. I hate it when parts guy say stupid things. Little do they know I'm a certified tech and probably know more than they do...

Kinda like "nope, nope. Those 8.8's dont need any friction modifer and they run 75w140 oil in them. 75w90 is too thin" right.......

:lol: I think sales part guys shouldn't be allowed to talk to you about cars unless you ask them.

I love when I tell them what I need and they ask for an explination. That's happened to me twice. :rolleyes:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
97CasperCobra said:
yep...those idiots are out there and unfortunately a LOT of them work at the auto places. I've had my fair share of "educational" discussions with them, now I just try to buy all my stuff at Wal-Mart.

Though last time at Wallyworld buying some oil and spark plugs(not for the Cobra), the check out girl proceeded to tell me that tune-ups were a waste for cars.

:lol: :lol:are you kidding me?? :bash:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
97CasperCobra said:

lmfao rofl. Sounds like something my GF would say. Did she ask you if you cahnged your headlight fluid recently?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
97CasperCobra said:

Haha!! :lol:

I would have asked her "did your boyfriend teach you that while he was banging ya doggiestyle?"

:banana:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Yea my parts store is clueless. This guy couldnt believe I had a cobra, I told him they really aren't that rare.

Then another time I, as a customer, had to help another customer. The guy could not answer a electrical wiring question, all he said like 10 times was. Well is the bulb brokem?

Eddie Z

Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
:mj:

I was at my local autozone picking up 7 quarts of oil (Mobile 1 5w-30 if anyone really cares), as our cars take 6.5 quarts. Anyway I was with my girlfriend, and she was looking at whatever it is girls look at in autopart stores and she came over and said something along the lines of "holy shit I can't believe the Cobra takes all that oil".

The guy checking me out promptly goes on a soap-box rant about how there's no way I should be using all that oil in "only a 4.6L Mustang", and I just smiled and told him not to worry about it, and he told me I was going to blow my engine up. I just looked at the kid (maybe 19? 20? I'm only 22 though so I shouldn't really say kid but the way he was acting..) and gladly informed him my car is a 32V DOHC motor, and that 6.5 quarts of oil is perfect for it. He then proceeded to tell me that no Mustang has 4 valves, that's impossible for a v8. :shrug: :shrug: I couldn't even bring myself to respond at this point, in fact I found it very amusing.

I really hate know it alls, and unfortunetly, in the car world they seem to be everywhere. I can't even buy ****in' oil without having to listen to these clowns. Sorry for the rant, that shit just annoys me.

Which Autozone in orlando? I need to buy some Mobil 1 soon, if I'm lucky I'll run into the same dude.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
haha, yeah, I used to work with a guy like that. The dumb, fatass, mofo!:bash:

And, I agree on the people that like to one up you when you are telling a story. That same guy would do that, too. Fat ****er

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I have never, not once, been able to make it out of an AutoZone without one of the guys there arguing with me. Not one damn time.

Best one yet was, I can't remember what it was I needed when I was changing my clutch, but the guy started arguing with me telling me that our clutches were hydrolically operated. Wouldn't hear anything otherwise, by God that's how they worked. Finally I just said to him, while I was standing there covered up to my sholders in grease, "Well, seeing as I just took the damn thing apart and the tranny is laying on my garage floor at this very moment I think I would know. But you don't have to take my word for it, because I live a block and a half from here. Would you like to come see it?"

Yeah, I got the death stare for that one...

Users who are viewing this thread