Don't think this is the Clunk or is it?

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
Recently I have this weird thing going on with the Cobra.

I will come to a stop at a light and a few seconds later I get a jolt and feel like I was rear-ended slowly.

No cars behind me.

It has happened at least 6 times.

I don't think it's something in the trunk being shifted and not sure what else to look at.

Recently I have replaced the clutch with a CF Dual Friction and 28 spline shaft and replaced my front rotors and pads.

22,000 miles.

It has been cold lately too.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Juruense

Banned
Sounds like the clunk that is caused by the a/c compressor cycling on and off. I believe that there is a TSB for this. I believe that the condensor or something clunks against the firewall when the a/c compressor cycles on.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The sensation of being hit from the rear is throwing me a bit. No issues when downshifting, putting the car in neutral and stopping, or depressing the clutch momentarily when the car is in drive?

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
No issues when down shifting. It's only when stopping. I come to a complete stop and put it in neutral, then after a delay I get the jolt. It's not every time, it happens less than it doesn't.

I want to say it's only when coming to a complete stop and not when just putting the clutch in momentarily.

I searched on the clunk and I am not sure that's it.

A/C compressor turning on and off shouldn't cause the hit from rear sensation.

Thanks

Dan

Juruense

Banned
I think it is a combination of idle surge and improperly adjusted clutch.

The idle surges as it comes down to its resting idle. The clutch is not fully disenegaging also. The car bumps forward and the clunk is from the drivetrain.

Of course this is just a guess and I am by no means an expert mechanic...

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
Kilgore Trout said:
I think it is a combination of idle surge and improperly adjusted clutch.

The idle surges as it comes down to its resting idle. The clutch is not fully disenegaging also. The car bumps forward and the clunk is from the drivetrain.

Of course this is just a guess and I am by no means an expert mechanic...

That makes sense given the new Centerforce clutch. Definately never noticed it before.

I had my mechanic install the clutch so pardon my ignorance. Is the clutch adjustment something I can do or does it need to go back to someone more qualified?

Thanks

Dan

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
That was exactly what I was getting on my 02 GT. It turned out to be the Universal joints. They are cheap and easy to fix. Good starting point maybe?:shrug:

04Sonic

Established Member
It is rear end/driveline play. I had another Cobra do this and we ended up replacing the drive-shaft complete and it stopped. If you would like, bring it up here and we will take a peak.

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
February is a horrible month for me at work. I don't think i will be able to take a day off to get it to you.

I won't be driving it that much so maybe at the end of Feb I can bring it in.

Thanks

Dan
04Sonic said:
It is rear end/driveline play. I had another Cobra do this and we ended up replacing the drive-shaft complete and it stopped. If you would like, bring it up here and we will take a peak.

Users who are viewing this thread