Don't street race! Guy in 2003 Cobra going 150 kills 9 year old girl gets 40 ye

Spiney

Established Member
In Doylestown PA a guy named Drew Bodden was driving between 140-152 mph when he slammed into the rear of a Honda SUV. He instantly killed a 9 year old girl, paralyzed her grandmother, and seriously injured her mom and his passenger. He had a 2003 Terminator with $5000 more in speed equipment.

He was just convicted of 3rd degree murder and will be sentenced for up to 40 years in jail.
So many people post YouTube videos of street racing. This is how it could end up. We are all temped, especially when someone else passes you or you see a long straight stretch of open road. Well that's what happened here until he in his words only had milliseconds to brake when the SUV suddenly appeared.

I wish I could post this so everyone on this forum could see it.

Here is the actual story, with his testimony.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/...cle_3f037b70-a779-54ef-8248-ef3b81ebc7de.html

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
sad story.

with these cars, you really need to exercise commen sense...or it will bite you in the A$$ fast. Not much of a margin for error, if anything crosses the road. In Michigan dear run accross the roads EVERYWHERE...there hard to avoid sometimes even at 50mph.

SVTRAT

Banned
I tried to street race once, my legs were shaking like crazy. Thats when i knew, not street racing for me LOL

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Damn I had read that the max he could get was 20.. not defending him or anything but they said the suvs tailights were not working.

Zemedici

Established Member
inb4 REPOST OMG OMG OMG REPOST OMG OMG guys come in

Sad story indeed, this was stated in another thread.

James introduced comments Bodden had posted on a high-performance car aficionado website that investigators believe show the Plumstead man has had a penchant for speed for some time.

“After shifting into 5th and doin bout 130 I look in my rearview and expect this dude to be like 1 mile back....” the comments read.

Jenei objected, saying the comments were four years old, however, Douple allowed them to be added into evidence.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Really sad story. There are a lot of variables, including the taillights potentially being out. With that said, it doesn't justify what he was doing. I do think it was an accident and 20 years will not bring back that young girl or get her grandmother out of a wheelchair. There are no winners no matter how you look at it.

I bet knowing what he did is the greatest punishment of them all. I don't believe that will be something he gets over, ever.

Racing on public roads is just plain stupid.

BladeX10

Established Member
I see people posting racing videos while flying by traffic like they are standing still, Horrible common sense. I wont even think about "having fun" if i see traffic in plain sight. Way to much that can go wrong at a split second.

starnsey

Established Member
Unfortunately most of the people that already street race or roll race will continue to believe this sort of thing won't ever happen to them. Very sad situation.

Spiney

Established Member
I'm the OP. Sorry for the multiple postings. Wasn't sure where to post it so the most people would see it. Yes I too am guilty of going over 100 mph on open stretches of traffic free highways. But this story really struck me. And it changed my ways because that guy's face and story could be me or my wife, who also likes to wring our engine out. We live in Eastern PA, We drive a Cobra that we have spent a couple hundred, not a couple thousand dollars on to make it go faster. We all have, that's how we keep American Muscle, CJ's, Late Model Restoration, etc in business. This guy, his family, and the victims and their families life were changed for ever, because of a few minutes of high speed fun. I will keep my speed outbursts to Maple Grove Drag Strip or pay the $300 for track days at VIR, or New Jersey Speed Park. The alternatives "For Me" (not preaching) are not worth it.

I get angry when I see the postings on YouTube of Mustang owners street racing on streets filled with other drivers. Even worse are the ones where cars spin out of control and wreck and there are people laughing in the video. Even if you don't value life, somebody just trashed their car, and we all love and put our blood sweat and tears into our cars.

I don't blame the victim at all. I took it as he came over a rise, or around a corner and there was something in front of him. At 152 mph it doesn't take long to close the gap with a car traveling at 55 mph. Just remember your old reading math problems from middle school. Especially at dusk everything kind of fades to grey. Even if she did not have her lights on, all of his rights went right out the door when he decided to travel at 2-3x the legal speed limit. That's my opinion. You're may be different. FWIW, I'm a 52 year old guy who's been driving Mustangs since my very first license and car at age 16 in 1976. I've been blessed or lucky to have never been involved in an accident in any of my 6 Mustangs. Spiney-Dave

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with what you said Spiney. The sad truth is that nobody ever expects anything like this to happen when they street race. I learned long ago not to street race. My '03 Cobra never saw beyond 85mph on a freeway. Like I said, nobody expects bad things to happen. But they can happen, in a heartbeat. My best advice, and advice I give all the time, is not to street race. Take it to a track where it is much safer. You'll probably enjoy it a whole lot more, too. I've never met anyone who didn't love racing at a track.

Very sad story that I've read more than once, and the sentence of 40 years is very stiff. My hope is that this tragedy will speak to at least a few people who will make a decision to drive more safely and not risk their lives or the lives of others. It just isn't worth the risk. Be safe everyone.

mrose75

Established Member
That's a shame and my worst nightmare. I don't street race but on occasion I have "stretched the legs" on the Cobra. Once many years back I took it to 145 on a public road. No traffic around but that speed is insane. Like stated here earlier, there are so many variables at play that can make that end horribly!! A dog, blow out, kid on a bike, senior citizen driver, teenage driver, the list goes on and on. I'm not worried about me doing something stupid 95% of the time. I'm scared of the other people on the road. And that stands true for anything. I've heard people say, "I don't need to buckle up, I know how to drive." My response is "While that may be true, there are a ton of other idiots out there who don't."

mysticvenom623

Established Member
Lives are more important than winning a stupid street race.

Also, I can't imagine being locked up and never being able to see my little daughter. Not to mention losing my job, house etc.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Havent done that since I was in my 20's and I am 53 now, LOL. Used to do some of that when I had my old 65 Mustang in Charleston SC. We would go way out in the country and do it. One memorable night we had more people running and watching than the legal drag strip had on a good night. Made me nervious, I remember. If the cops had come out we never would have all gotten away. I remember it being fun though.

The Snake

Users who are viewing this thread