Dont run high HP on a T5 Tremec BIG Pic warning

thematrixhazune

Follow the white rabbit
Established Member
My old Tremec T5 finally bit the dust. However, I am very surprised that it had lasted this long with the power I was making. Just finished pulling it out and figure I would post for the hell of it.

Will be ordering a TKO600 soon!:dancenana:

Picture007-3.gif

Picture008-3.gif

Picture009-2.gif

Picture010-2.gif

gt347mustang

Established Member
worst tranny ever to be put into a ford

I have to disagree... Ive seen some high hp t5's last pretty long if you dont beat on them. remember this tranny was meant for a 200 hp motor with a crap clutch from the factory.

Cool pics of the carnage!!!

stellar591

BlackChrome Saleens FTMFW
Established Member
There's nothing World Class about a T5! So how long did it last and how much punishment did you put it through?

thematrixhazune

Follow the white rabbit
Established Member
that sucks....why a tko 600???? everyone i know around here can never seem to find third gear in those tranny's.

Because the t56 only holds 450-500ftlbs, I know there is a viper spec but $$$.

I have heard some people say that they shift like tractors, But I think if you get used to shifting the thing then it shouldn't be an issue.

Turbobrick

Outside Agitator
Established Member
If you gather all the piece's up I know a guy with a good ass welder. :burnout:

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Because the t56 only holds 450-500ftlbs, I know there is a viper spec but $$$.

I have heard some people say that they shift like tractors, But I think if you get used to shifting the thing then it shouldn't be an issue.

T56 is stronger than a TKO 600 from what I have seen, and shift wayyyyy better. There is a reason 1700 hp Vipers arent running built done up top of the line TKO's.....

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Compared to what I did to mine that's not all that bad. Your teeth have more damage over a longer area, but mine damage is much deeper.

IShb3w

Established Member
Edit: Not my words, copied this from the link below:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/1035601-post5.html

Since what I do is tech support for both T56's and the TKO, I feel like I should chime in here and throw my point of view into the mix.....

The TKO-600(in stock, unmodified form) is capable of 600hp and 600ft/lbs continuous power in 4th gear. The T56(in stock, unmodified form) is only capable of 450hp and 450 ft/lbs. The final overdrive in the TKO-600 is a .64 while the 6th gear ratio in the T56 is .62. That's about a 100rpm difference.

In my business, I always get the customer who calls and wants the T56 but when I explain the facts, they always switch to the TKO. Now I am not trying to tell you not to go for the T56, I am just telling you the differences so you can make an informed decision.

The TKO is what we call a multi-rail shift linkage system while the T56 is a single rail system. What this means basically is the T56 is easier to shift as there is only 1 rail doing all work instead of 3 rails in the TKO. The TKO will feel a little notchy until it is broken in but then will loosen up and shift like butter.

To me, the T56 is about bragging rights. Like " Hey, I gotta a 6 speed in my stang"...blah blah blah blah but the TKO was built for heavy duty use. Now anyone can take and beef up either unit to withstand crazy amounts of horsepower and torque but remember, it is not HP or even TQ that breaks transmissions, it is shock load. Shock load occurs when you are smoking the tires and all of a sudden, the tires hook and you take off. That is shock load and that is what breaks crap. It is ALWAYS a good idea to have the u-joint as the weak link in the drive train because you would rather break a u-joint than a tranny or rear end, they are a hell of alot cheaper. to replace.

If it were me, I would go TKO and forget about the T56 but that's just me. Good luck in whatever you choose and hopefully, my advice helped you.

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO Transmission Systems

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread