Don't kill the messenger but 06 info

svtdriver

Established Member
Ford apparently needs to have it's employees sign nondisclosure agreements. Cause everyone seems to have a connectoin who talks about what the next mustang/cobra/cobraR/SE is going to have in it.

rskdsk

Established Member
I told you guys this very same thing about 8 months ago. The new cobra will only be somewhere around 420hp. It is nice to dream, but lets be realistic ...
On the plus side ... there will be some "special additions" that will have more hp's (not just the cobra R).

Cobra-R

Established Member
It would be a waste of time to offer a Cobra R with a s/c engine, I hope Ford is smarter than that.

Brian

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by a94cobra
He said the 5.4 SC would out run the v10. The v10 they put in the Shelby rated at 605hp. I call bs on that fact.

He didn't say it would be the 605HP motor that Shelby has. That engine would bring the Mustang price into the statusphere! A few months ago in MotorTrend I think there was a 99+ Mustang test mule with a V10 and judging by it's test numbers I wouldn't be surprised if the 5.4 SC would out run it.

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
i dont think ford will go with a supercharger on the cobra R simply because it is an factory race/autoX car. the heatsoak on a supercharged autoX car would be much higher than N/A

SGL

Banned
I would like to know how Ford would pass a barrier test with a V10 in the Mustang. this could be interesting.

a94cobra

Established Member
The v10 they put in the 99 Mustang was the same motor that they used in the Shelby Cobra. They never had a chance to dyno just the motor when they placed it in the Mustang. It was puttin down a little short of 500hp if I recall correctly. Take 605hp and subtract some drivetrain loss. Very close numbers.

GTPlus

Established Member
Originally posted by TheFuture
He said" Nope the Cobra R WILL get SC'd 5.4L with 3 valve heads not the regular Cobra. He also said" People love to mod their stangs, think about it we can't have pullied and chipped SC'd 5.4L regular Cobra's running faster than our $55K Cobra R.

Isn't the current 4.6 SC Cobra with a chip n' pully faster than the $55K '00 Cobra R?

Boss429lover

Established Member

The v10 they put in the 99 Mustang was the same motor that they used in the Shelby Cobra. They never had a chance to dyno just the motor when they placed it in the Mustang. It was puttin down a little short of 500hp if I recall correctly. Take 605hp and subtract some drivetrain loss. Very close numbers.

I don't think you are right. the V-10 they put in the 99 was a totally new engine...they used extensive amounts of 4.6 parts for it...

The V-10 in the Cobra came from the V-10 in the 427 which came from the V-10 in the Superduty....

Two different engines. the 99 dyno'd at 430HP, the 6.4 V-10 in the shelby maxed out at 600HP, they aren't sure how much it has, probably like 650.

rskdsk

Established Member
Guys comon quit dreamin! You actually believe that Ford is gonna drop a v10 into a mustang ... That must be some good stuff you have!
I realise that ford has done some really stupid things in the past and really pissed some people off ... ie 2000R vs 2003 cobra, but do not think for a moment that Ford is gonna continue this trent. Performance has to happen in small stages or you will piss off your loyal customers and they will soon be afaid to buy anything because the next model year car will be so much better! Or better yet ... spending 150K on a car that a 40K car can almost keep up with.
I do realise that there will be a small gap between the 2004 cobra and the 2006 cobra, and because of the gap, ford can justify a increase in hp ... but not a huge increase.
Imagine the 04 owners face when they just spent 40K on thier 390hp cobra and Ford throws down a 2006 40K cobra with 500hp ... it will never happen!
Forget that I have true inside contacts ... just think of this logically. The absolute best case senario is a 450hp 2006 cobra, and I believe that will be reserved for a shelby gt 500 or the cobra R.

a94cobra

Established Member
Boss429lover>> I could be wrong, but they did a program on the Shelby a few months ago on TLC on a program called Rides. I thought that they said they had tested the engine in the Mustang before the put it into the Shelby.

I will have to dig that tape out and watch it again.

Boss429lover

Established Member
I'm not so sure if i'm right now either, but I'm just posting what I've read...MT, (and you can look up the story) said the engine was totally new....the V-10 that was put in to the 99+ stang.

I dont' remember where, but i swear, that I read somewher that the 7.0 liter 427 came from the 6.8, and the Cobra engine came from the 427...I'm not sure if that is right now though.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
If the '07 SVT Cobra has an N/A engine then Ford will lose a sale, I'll keep my '03 and modify it with the $$ I save. I'd rather have a supercharged GT than an N/A Cobra, the factory supercharger was the only reason I bought the Cobra.

Mike

Last edited:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
The v-10 in the '99 stang was done with modified 4.6 dohc castings adding 2 more cylinders. The block, and the heads were both done this way. It was a completly new design, and even stated in the article that this was done for prototype purposes. I don't know what the v-10 in the Shelby Cobra was. If I remember right (according to the article) it is just a dream to expect this to ever land in a production Mustang.
:shrug:

a94cobra

Established Member
I agree with that. We will never see a production v10 Mustang. I am happy with a v8 of any type. Just give us the horses.

Users who are viewing this thread