Don't kill the messenger but 06 info

TheFuture

Established Member
A Friend i know @ FORD, working for Ford, Gave som hard core Cobra info!
Well a buddy, high school friend, was in town visiting family. He is a exec at Ford. We met up for food and and drinks, and after a couple of rounds, we started talking about the new stang. He Said " that the Cobra would get a reworked version 5.0L Cammer NA engine rated at about 410hp. And the Cobra R will have the SC'd 5.4L with 3 valve heads. Rated at about 485hp"

I was pulling his chain saying "I think your Bsing me, I have heard that Cobra would get a Sc'd engine 5.4L and the R will get a V10"

He said" Nope the Cobra R WILL get SC'd 5.4L with 3 valve heads not the regular Cobra. He also said" People love to mod their stangs, think about it we can't have pullied and chipped SC'd 5.4L regular Cobra's running faster than our $55K Cobra R. The normal Cobra would get a reworked version 5.0L Cammer NA engine rated at about 410hp maybe 420hp. And the Cobra R will have the SC'd 5.4L with 3 valve heads. The Cobra R will chase the Z06 and the Viper" He also mentioned that the V10 project was a waste because the v10 stang prototype could not out run the 5.4 SC;d prototype.

I Said ok Cool!

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
So are you saying that a Cobra R version is coming out and its gonna cost the same as it did in 2000?

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
You know that is a little off from what I have heard in the past, but I think that is very probable. If I were to guess as to what engines would be in the cars, that would be my best guess. That would also prove the poin that REV had that the car he saw with the humped up hood was a 3V S/C 5.4 Things are really making sense and this is most definately a good start to that.

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Thats the problem, until ford releases it officially, its ALL just guesses!! Hell, I believe you 100% that your friend told you this, but it really doesn't matter, because I really think that ford would tell the employees different things, just so that rumors will circulate. Think about it, its going to leak at somepoint, no doubt about it, so why not leak out 20 stories so that no one really knows for sure whats going on?? At least thats how I am looking at it.. if its not on ford.com, then its not the whole truth just yet...

goodquest

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
the person to ask is in emissions certification. find out which combinations are getting epa certified and you'll find your new engine combos.

Good idea, but how do you get that information?

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Ford is really showing off the new "cammer" motor. It wouldn't surprise me if the new SVT came with it. If they make a Cobra R all bets are off on the motor. I think thye will stick with the 5.4 but a V10 is not out of the question. I just don't think they can make the power for the amount of cost that would be involved to reworkj all the parts to do it. Who knows. Till Ford shows we are all guessing.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
They have 3 versions of the "cammer" engine one of which is a supercharged version putting out 600hp. It would make more sense to me to put that in the next ('06) Cobra verses a NA "cammer" granted it maybe a toned down version. They would be taking a step backwards IMHO to go back to a NA Cobra regardless of the horsepower rating. That NA "cammer" will have to rev sky-hi to get that number, and won't have the torque we have now.
Put the supercharged "cammer" (5.0) in the Cobra, and they can still upstage it with a 5.4 - 3 valve supercharged for the next Cobra-R.

Thats how I would do it if it were up to me.
Let them go NA for the next one, makes ours all that more valuable, and unique. :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am going to go with a BS. What would be the point of making the new cobra with less HP than the 03-04 model. 410 Na, it would be stupid hard to get the thing to have the same out put as a pullied 03-04 cobra. If they do that then the 03-04 cobra will be the one to own. You may have heard this, but even some execs at Ford are kept in the dark with what is really going on just so they don't leak info like your friend did. JMO, but I could be wrong.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would estimate the SC'd 5.4 liter 3 valve Cobra R engine to still make about 30-40 hp and about 50 more tq then the 5.0 cammer. I honestly look for them to keep the 4.6 in the cobra with a whipple charger. but a 5.0 would be nice.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Also, what your friend said about the V-10 project being a waste. Wrong. The V-10 project was not a project, it was put in the mustang to test it. That same V-10 was put in the Shelby Cobra. That was the only point for the engine at all. There is no other plan as of today to use the DOHC V-10 in anything else.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
My own concerns about future value of the 03/04 aside, I really hope they don't go n/a in the 06 Cobra unless it's over 450hp, 10 cyl or the car drops a couple hundred pounds. Otherwise, Ford won't have a generally available car that is competative with a base C6.

And we'll be stuck with a car that's no faster than a stock 03/04 with little mod potential. A step forward in platform and a set back in drivetrain.

Boss429lover

Established Member
Little mod potential?

All you have to do to a NA 400HP engine is add a supercharger..The suddenly you are well over 500HP, probably like 550 or even 600 depending on how much you spent on the SC.

I have the feeling the cammer would respond VERY well to mods.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong.:shrug:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
my parents work for ford and ford actually builds prototypes that are never intended to see production just in case of a leak. In fact, these cars are kind of leaked on purpose, to throw everybody off about what they are really doing.

Anyways, either of those cars would rock. And personally I would rather see a N/A engine because it would last longer, and because you still could supercharge it and make even more horsepower. Things are looking good for the future of the stang.

a94cobra

Established Member
He said the 5.4 SC would out run the v10. The v10 they put in the Shelby rated at 605hp. I call bs on that fact.

a94cobra

Established Member
Not just the less power theory, but less force on the motor parts. That is why Ford gave us forged parts on the 04/04 Cobra motor.

Users who are viewing this thread