Don't forget to check your fuel filters!

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Most e85 folks know this but just a friendly reminder to check your fuel filters regularly.

After battling cutting out issues with my car, I figured out it was going lean big time after putting her on the rollers and logging, it was going so lean the wideband A/F couldn't even read it! After checking simple things and everything looks fine (got spark got fuel etc) I looked at my FP gauge and it was going low to mid to low basically starving... Finally decided to change the fuel filter (should have been my first thing not last to do) and guess what? It was clogged to hell... I will be also taking off my injectors and cleaning them just to make sure no crap got in them. I will be also changing my paper filter to the stainless one so it lasts longer and doesn't clog as bad.

Put new filter in and it finally came back to life.

So anyway, thought I'd share my experience and my excitement of a finally good running car.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would check into your lines. It has nothing to do with having a paper filter. I had a paper filter in my car for over a year and a half and it looked just as good when I took it out as I'd did when I put it in.

I have seen bad fuel line break down and clog filters with a black residue.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I would check into your lines. It has nothing to do with having a paper filter. I had a paper filter in my car for over a year and a half and it looked just as good when I took it out as I'd did when I put it in.

I have seen bad fuel line break down and clog filters with a black residue.

Is that because of ethanol that the lines possibly broke down and clogged the filter? I thought that e85 corroding lines was a myth?

Btw car is going lean again, going to check the fuel filter again and see what it looks like, I might have some crap in my fuel tank or possibly my lines are so broken down that it keeps clogging the filter...

Also found an interesting local thread online about local e85 stations having black crap in them, due to either using diesel tanks or blending process. Guy having same issues, after a new filter in a few days it becomes black

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Is that because of ethanol that the lines possibly broke down and clogged the filter? I thought that e85 corroding lines was a myth?

Btw car is going lean again, going to check the fuel filter again and see what it looks like, I might have some crap in my fuel tank or possibly my lines are so broken down that it keeps clogging the filter...

Also found an interesting local thread online about local e85 stations having black crap in them, due to either using diesel tanks or blending process. Guy having same issues, after a new filter in a few days it becomes black
I have heard of this as well.

I have seen the Earls Pushloc line do this before for some reason.

I have seen a few tanks that were converted from Diesel as well. All around Dallas they were E85 to start with so I have not had that problem. But I have seen it in other states.

Users who are viewing this thread