Don't ever buy Snap On tools!

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Some of the stuff is worth it. But I turned a wrench for 13 years with both craftsman and harbor freight tool boxes. Not once did I open it and think "gee, I wish this glorified kitchen cabinet cost me ten times as much"

In my experience most snap on guys are either massively in debt or have a huge box with nothing in it (or both). Your crazy spending that kind of money on sockets compared to craftsman, and nobody should own a screwdriver that doesnt say Kline on it.

Some of the hand tools are nice, some of the air powered tools. I have a stripper/wire cutter from 2000 and its still just as sharp today. But simple stuff like sockets, picks, etc your paying for the name. And I had at least 3 times where a snapon breaker bar broke on a guy and my craftsman 1/2 got the bokt off.

And that box above us nuts. 30-50 grand there maybe? That's company paid guaranteed.

prs97

Established Member
There's a saying in IT we sometime like to use when you get the same user coming to you for the same damn stupid error no matter how many times you try to explain to the guy how to do it correctly:

"The error is between the keyboard and the chair...nothing we can do about that".

PEBKAC = problem exists between keyboard and chair

PICNIC = problem in chair, not in computer

Sorry, fellow IT guy couldn't resist.

I think I have 2 Snap-On tools. A crow-foot wrench for oil changes on my econo-blob & a feeler gauge. My 25+ year old Craftsman stuff does everything else.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Snap On tools have never marketed toward the backyard or weekend mechanics, they have always been aimed at the professional guys, note that Snap On does not have stores but does have mobile trucks that service mechaniclly orientated businesses.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Dont think you work on vehicles very much..i started out with hf...craftsman...greatneck...you buy cheap you buy twice snap on sockets..extensions..wobblers..wrenches are all top notch and worth the money if you're comparing a craftsman to snapon you dont work in a shop enough

I've been a certified Ford tech since 1999 :lol1: The sockets have little to no difference, and certainly not enough to warrant the additional cost. They don't call them Snap-Off for nothing. Perhaps words are too difficult for you. Do you need pictures?

Zemedici

Established Member
Dont think you work on vehicles very much..i started out with hf...craftsman...greatneck...you buy cheap you buy twice snap on sockets..extensions..wobblers..wrenches are all top notch and worth the money if you're comparing a craftsman to snapon you dont work in a shop enough

lol at this post.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
lol at this post.
yeah no kidding. My dad and I always bought craftsman tools some of the best out there and at the time we were wrenching together the only tool company that was giving a lifetime warranty. in all the work we did don't think we ever took one back.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
yeah no kidding. My dad and I always bought craftsman tools some of the best out there and at the time we were wrenching together the only tool company that was giving a lifetime warranty. in all the work we did don't think we ever took one back.

I took a 1/2" drive ratchet back once about 5 years ago, and it was swapped out w/o question. Mind you, that tool was at least 25 tears old and had been beat to crap with a hammer over the years. All that said, most of my stuff came from Sears.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I took a 1/2" drive ratchet back once about 5 years ago, and it was swapped out w/o question. Mind you, that tool was at least 25 tears old and had been beat to crap with a hammer over the years. All that said, most of my stuff came from Sears.

I have an uncle that I think was the sole cause of Sears taking electric tools off the lifetime replacement warranty. He was a beekeeper and had a LOT of hives. once the honey was out of the combs he was using a craftsman drill to drill out the holes. he would burn up 2 or 3 every year took them back and always got them replaced for free.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I've bought a few things from a tool truck, but most the Craftsman stuff is good enough for the average home hack such as myself. I have a Craftsman "Professional" ratchet, which is just as good as my Matco ratchet. I'm glad I paid up for a set of Snap On screwdrivers...well worth the money IMO.

I have seen more than a few guys spend thousands on tools straight out of school or Asset at our place. It's not always bad if they work their way up the pay scale, paying for those new shiny tools. There's been a few that can't quite make it........thousands spent in tools and they've been stuck indefinitely changing oil and brake pads.

There's a couple Craftsman boxes floating around the shop; We've got one newer guy who has a box from Harbor Freight!!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The only time I have broken a socket was when I to lazy to grab the impact socket for a tough nut.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Who cares how shinny your tools are, or how much they cost you. All that matters is how much time you spend exchanging broken ones and how much time is wasted while that tool is broken and you can't finish your job, or how many times you gotta go barrow cause yours is broken.

When a tools down time start cost you money that's when to start to buy ones that will be there when you need them.

I've already taken my craftsman ratchet in for broken teeth 3-4 times and had to pick it up the next day. Where my snap on not once.

Put names and cost to the side, I'm going to always pick what works and causes me the least amount of discomfort

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Who cares how shinny your tools are, or how much they cost you. All that matters is how much time you spend exchanging broken ones and how much time is wasted while that tool is broken and you can't finish your job, or how many times you gotta go barrow cause yours is broken.
barrow? as in wheelbarrow? what has that got to do with exchanging tools. and if one breaks you still have to wait for the damn truck to come by,

I've already taken my craftsman ratchet in for broken teeth 3-4 times and had to pick it up the next day. Where my snap on not once.

Put names and cost to the side, I'm going to always pick what works and causes me the least amount of discomfort
would be interested to hear the reasons for having to leave it overnight. they don't fix shit they just replace it, so no reason to have to leave it and pick it up the next day.

1o1proof

Established Member
Craftsman tools are not as good as they once were. What they are is a fair tool, with a great warranty and available in most towns. No way I would pick them over snap on when given a choice.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Craftsman tools are not as good as they once were. What they are is a fair tool, with a great warranty and available in most towns. No way I would pick them over snap on when given a choice, and lot's of unneeded money

FIFY ... solid statement now ;-)

to be honest you are right. their tools are no longer made in the USA they are made in China IIRC. if it were not for the warranty I would probably buy something else. but then I have a ton of pre chinese craftsman and really don't buy tools much anymore

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I have an uncle that I think was the sole cause of Sears taking electric tools off the lifetime replacement warranty. He was a beekeeper and had a LOT of hives. once the honey was out of the combs he was using a craftsman drill to drill out the holes. he would burn up 2 or 3 every year took them back and always got them replaced for free.

Drilling out what holes ?

Users who are viewing this thread