Doing side work/helping people out.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
honestly the first check didnt even cover the trans and the fluid I bought, so basically i swapped a trans for someone and it cost me money. AWESOME!

Unfortunately, you lost the right to complain about this...when you went against 100% of the opinions that were given to you when asked.

MG0h3

Established Member
For those of us who've been around a while, we've seen this scenario over and over through our lives, which is why we suggested not doing it.

Good luck with trying to at least break even. I'm not so sure I wouldn't pull the transmission back out of it and put the old one back in. LOL

Yep. I’d say tough shit buddy, pay up or I’m taking MY transmission back out and you can have your truck back. Your trans will be in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Update:

I did the work and dude gave me 2 checks one to get started and one when I am finished. Now the last check has insufficient funds. Dude is asking for his vehicle back yet I have not gotten paid. :( FML
Have you completed the work?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Absolutely. Also verified the repair, and did extra like reattached an exhaust tail pipe that fell off.

Well this should go without saying but what does said guy say about insufficient funds?

It's always possible something unforseen came up and the funds in his account can't quite cover it.

Maybe he'll say, oh crap, let me move some money around and then you can go cash the check.

It's the nuclear option but if he doesn't pay you could always call the cops and get him charged for writing bad checks.

LS WUT

Established Member
Unsure exactly how your state works. Since you’re not technically a certified mechanic you can’t necessarily put a mechanics lien on it I don’t think. However if you agreed to do the job and it’s in some sort of written paper, or text message it could help. Otherwise If it’s word of mouth you’re probably on the short end of the stick. I would tell him the job is complete and you want the money owed to you.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I work on a daily rate ,

They purchase and I Install,

100% cash. And I'm helping you,not in business..

Some jobs that are long. Paid at end of week, but alot will pay in advance..

100 % honestly,, and respect will keep you more busy than expected..

I work exhibit booth setup/dismantle as regular work.

All jobs I take it's said if a show comes I will leave and return after.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Remove a fuse that messes up with starting the car, something simple. Tell him you can fix it but need money to get the "parts" to do it.

Dont get paid, cant move car. Everyone pretty much warned ya. Wait till he gets the car back and complains that something is off.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A few years ago I did some suspension work on a C3 Vette for a coworker. I ended up with a few extra bucks afterwards, but for a while I got the "the car is doing this now" questions. I left the company and two years later he randomly texted me to tell me the rear main was leaking. My response was "that sucks". Apparently he thought I messed with it and was going to fix it. I told him I never touched it, then blocked his number.

Never again.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Absolutely. Also verified the repair, and did extra like reattached an exhaust tail pipe that fell off.
I'd give them the opportunity to make it right (get you the money you're owed)

If they can't or won't it's up to you how you wish to escalate the situation.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread