Doing side work/helping people out.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
I am constantly working in my garage on my cars and such. Anyway I have a friend who's sister knows a couple that needs some help with their suv. (its a chevy) hahaha. Anyway this chevy needs a transmission. I told them I would put a junk yard one in for half price and they like that option. How do I make sure I dont get screwed? Ask for half up front? do you guys do anything like that? I would like to get some money to at least buy the transmission from the junk yard. The junk yard offers 60 day warranty on the trans.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I am constantly working in my garage on my cars and such. Anyway I have a friend who's sister knows a couple that needs some help with their suv. (its a chevy) hahaha. Anyway this chevy needs a transmission. I told them I would put a junk yard one in for half price and they like that option. How do I make sure I dont get screwed? Ask for half up front? do you guys do anything like that? I would like to get some money to at least buy the transmission from the junk yard. The junk yard offers 60 day warranty on the trans.

I wouldn't touch it, but at least make sure the JY will cover your labor if they sell you a junk unit you have to replace.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
When I was painting diecast cars I paid for everything up front and when it was finished I sent pictures and if the customer was satisfied that's when full payment was requested.

VERY different scenario than yours. My up front costs were not that high and if I were not paid I still had the diecast in my possession and could make my money back on an Ebay transaction.

So, in your case I would make them pay for all parts up front. It's their parts for their vehicle. They should be buying them 100%.

Then when you are done and everything is working properly charge them your labor rate when they come to pick the vehicle up. I would also make an invoice with parts listed and costs of said parts and then list your labor rate. If you know how long it will take you list the total, but if you only have an idea (i.e. 3 to 5 hours) then list that. Have them sign the invoice too. This will ensure they know the expected total up front and can agree or disagree before anything has been completed or any partial transactions have been made.

This can be a slippery slope as it seems you're trying to do someone a favor and make some money on the side. However, this is a business deal and both parties are expecting something. So, there is room for misunderstandings if everything isn't discussed and put in writing up front.

Sorry for the novel, but I've been down this road before. It can be great and it can be a pain in the @$$......

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
When I was painting diecast cars I paid for everything up front and when it was finished I sent pictures and if the customer was satisfied that's when full payment was requested.

VERY different scenario than yours. My up front costs were not that high and if I were not paid I still had the diecast in my possession and could make my money back on an Ebay transaction.

So, in your case I would make them pay for all parts up front. It's their parts for their vehicle. They should be buying them 100%.

Then when you are done and everything is working properly charge them your labor rate when they come to pick the vehicle up. I would also make an invoice with parts listed and costs of said parts and then list your labor rate. If you know how long it will take you list the total, but if you only have an idea (i.e. 3 to 5 hours) then list that. Have them sign the invoice too. This will ensure they know the expected total up front and can agree or disagree before anything has been completed or any partial transactions have been made.

This can be a slippery slope as it seems you're trying to do someone a favor and make some money on the side. However, this is a business deal and both parties are expecting something. So, there is room for misunderstandings if everything isn't discussed and put in writing up front.

Sorry for the novel, but I've been down this road before. It can be great and it can be a pain in the @$$......
that's what I'm thinking. have them buy the trans and fluid and when I am done ask for the labor. I am going to call today and discuss. Just wasn't sure if I should put it in writing or just hope they are standup people. The friends sister is super stand up I would hate to think she referred me to someone that would screw me over.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, that scenario has disaster written all over it. Prepare to get blamed for every minor thing that goes wrong with the car for the next 3 years, even if by some miracle the transmission replacement works out 100%.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, that scenario has disaster written all over it. Prepare to get blamed for every minor thing that goes wrong with the car for the next 3 years, even if by some miracle the transmission replacement works out 100%.
I know what you mean. Some people you cant help. We used to call it "ever since". Ever since you replaced my wheel bearing my headlights quit working, crazy stuff.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
When I do this, I only do it for people I trust. I make sure they buy all the parts. I also never force them to pay me (they always ended giving me something). I’m not licensed and insured so the risk is on them if something doesn’t work out.

I’ve never ran into a situation where my work or the parts they bought didn’t fix the problem. I’ve done this on 5.4L 3V timing jobs, suspension work, diagnostic work, you name it, I’ve probably done it for someone to help them out…as long as the people know the risk involved and you trust them it will be fine.

I have said no to some jobs though…replacing a transmission may be something I would say no to…it would be in their best interest to pay a shop just for the peace of mind of getting some sort of warranty out of it.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
that's what I'm thinking. have them buy the trans and fluid and when I am done ask for the labor. I am going to call today and discuss. Just wasn't sure if I should put it in writing or just hope they are standup people. The friends sister is super stand up I would hate to think she referred me to someone that would screw me over.

Due to my experience I "always" get it in writing and with signatures even if I'm dealing with family. And if I'm really serious or cautious I have the document notarized.

Some might say I'm going a bit overboard, but it's not about being an A hole. It's about business and protecting yourself and the other party.

If it's in writing you can say look "I never promised a warranty." "That was not covered under the repair (i.e. driveshaft U joints)." And if it goes to court it's not your word against theirs.

Not trying to dissuade you from doing this. Just letting you know a friendly gesture can bite you in the @$$ sometimes. Other times when you help people they are very grateful and it's a wonderful transaction. If you know these people then it will help you know how you should deal with them and proceed with this deal.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
On the off chance I do side work for people I have them bring the parts and I just do it for free. I see it as if I don't charge them they can't come back to me with the issues. I've never done anything as big as a transmission replacement though.
I would for sure get something in writing and include a timeframe for your liability. If they took it to a shop the warranty wouldn't last forever so it shouldn't for you either.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Due to my experience I "always" get it in writing and with signatures even if I'm dealing with family. And if I'm really serious or cautious I have the document notarized.

Some might say I'm going a bit overboard, but it's not about being an A hole. It's about business and protecting yourself and the other party.

If it's in writing you can say look "I never promised a warranty." "That was not covered under the repair (i.e. driveshaft U joints)." And if it goes to court it's not your word against theirs.

Not trying to dissuade you from doing this. Just letting you know a friendly gesture can bite you in the @$$ sometimes. Other times when you help people they are very grateful and it's a wonderful transaction. If you know these people then it will help you know how you should deal with them and proceed with this deal.
The only people that would think these steps are you "being an asshole" are people that have never been in the industry.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont think I'd do it but I'd agree with the above:

1) they pay for the trans, fluids etc...
2) I would put it in writing that you're labor only - any issues with the transmission is between them and the junkyard. If it's bad, they'd have to pay again, I doubt a junkyard is going to warranty your labor.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Something that is often overlooked with warranty items is labor. Labor is not covered under parts warranties. When that junkyard tranny fails inside it's warranty period are you going to take care of it for free? The junkyard won't be paying you. Something to consider.

And personally I wouldn't touch it. I work on my families vehicles and nothing more. I'll help friends at THIER garage so their "simple job" don't become my problem. And I can drink their beer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
DO NOT DO THIS.

If they don't have the money to have a shop do it, don't open yourself up to the liability of having to tell them "no" when there's an issue down the road. I promise whatever amount of money you think you'll be making off of this, won't be worth it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'll help friends at THIER garage so their "simple job" don't become my problem. And I can drink their beer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

this, I keep getting drug into helping my neighbor working on his or his family members vehicles. Good guy with good intentions but doesn't have the tools or experience. He's an engineer and reads the factory service manual and thinks there's nothing to it. Reminds me I still need to get a couple of tools back from him

BlueSnake01

Established Member
As others said, don't touch it. Same reason why I will never sell a vehicle to close friends/family members. Any lil thing thats off will go back to you.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Don't. Kudos to you for trying to help out though.

You could end up with a, "My cuzzin' Melvin Tom, he says you screwed us, and he's comin' over with his wife's baby daddy, cuz it ain't right."

Users who are viewing this thread