Doing side work/helping people out.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’ve got to admit, like many others have said. If you’re concerned about getting burned then it might not be worth getting into. Cars are like women. If you have a feeling that you might have issues down the road, just don’t do it. I recently did work for a “friend of the family”. She got quoted $2,600 for basic stuff, A/C compressor, brake pads, and oil change. Was close to $1,700 just for the A/C compressor labor/parts. Nevertheless agreed to do the job for $1,000. Save her, and her husband $1,600. I felt like that was fair, luckily I had the machine for the A/C anyways. Long story short, I got paid $200, not the $1,000 that was agreed upon. From that moment on, I will no longer work on others cars. Unless it’s minor, and like some others have said. In Their Garage, not mine. I’ll assist and show them how to work on it themselves. “Cheap work ain’t fast, and fast work ain’t cheap.”

Dusten

Established Member
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, that scenario has disaster written all over it. Prepare to get blamed for every minor thing that goes wrong with the car for the next 3 years, even if by some miracle the transmission replacement works out 100%.

The "ever since you worked on it" scenario

tistan

Established Member
I've learned one thing in life. People with no money have no money for a reason. Don't let those people make you the one with no money. If you want to do the job for half of a shop, get all the money up front. If they don't like it, they can go pay double.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
This, this and this. Oh, and this.

my cousin is a nut job. He got rear ended in his Ranger, minor repairs but everybody is backed up so it sat around the majority of the last 2 months. He gets it back and after a week or so starter gives up the ghost. He went on some rampage that they must have screwed it up when they cleaned the engine bay and pressure washed the whole underside... dude - it's 18 years old on the original starter, the only thing they're gonna give you is directions to gtfo

mcaligiuri

Established Member
I always have them buy the parts that way if they screw me im only out for my labor. Hasn’t happened yet but it’s my safety net so I don’t wind up paying to fix someone else’s car

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I wouldn’t touch it with a 10’ pole. Far too many bad experiences with relatives/friends of friends. Once you touch that vehicle, you will be tied to it for forever.

coposrv

Established Member
There is no such thing as side work. You’re in business or you’re not. The little upside this project may have is heavily outweighed by the down side.

I wouldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Update:

I did the work and dude gave me 2 checks one to get started and one when I am finished. Now the last check has insufficient funds. Dude is asking for his vehicle back yet I have not gotten paid. :( FML

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Update:

I did the work and dude gave me 2 checks one to get started and one when I am finished. Now the last check has insufficient funds. Dude is asking for his vehicle back yet I have not gotten paid. :( FML

Hate to say I told you so...but...

Merry Christmas.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Update:

Can’t hold onto his car…lesson learned at least with this guy. It’s why I do it for free for people I know and trust and often time they give me money anyway.

Good luck

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Update:

I can hear it now "come on man, it's Christmas"

Sorry you got stuck with it, no good deed goes unpunished

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
honestly the first check didnt even cover the trans and the fluid I bought, so basically i swapped a trans for someone and it cost me money. AWESOME!

Users who are viewing this thread