Doing a pulley swap on paxton

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Well my JmS bap came in today. I'm getting ready to install the bap, o/r h, tial wastegate, and a 3.33 pulley. Getting it ready for tuning at AED later this week. I need to move the idler over a one hole for the 3.33 pulley.

Who has done this? Any tricks for getting it done? The idler looks like a bit of a pita to get to. I did install the kit my self but don't remember does the idler pulley bolt directly into the back plate or is there a nut on the backside? I keep thinking it threads into the backside plate. Thanks in advance :beer:

wile2k

Established Member
I had to R&R the belt and change the position of the idler (went to a shorter belt as I was getting belt slip with the belt that came with the SC and smaller pulley) and I didn't like the process much.

Basically I had to pull most of the plumbing out (yay for that part...), loosen up all of the front plate bolts, try to hold it all together while moving the pulley. With the belt change, of course the pulley had to come completely out to get the belt over it. You might have to do the same since you may want to run a shorter belt with the smaller pulley, stock belt was too tight on one hole (even though it fit, the tensioner had no range left) and too loose on the other IMO.

A lot of the work that I had just done putting it all together had to be undone and redone, like I said, I didn't like the process much.

2012csgt

Established Member
I just replaced my belt and I am running a 3.40 pulley on a Vortech. ( stock is 3.60 ) I went with a 102.5 belt instead of the stock 103. I'm on the 4th hole from the right or the 1st hole on the left. Fits nice and tight. It's been a year on the stock belt. Not to bad, took me about 2 hours start to finish. I took the fan out and it gave me plenty of room. Next time I think I can do it quicker. I can change just a pulley in probably under 5 mins.

Just take your time and breathe. It will frustrate you.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I swapped the pullies out really quick. I put the belt on just to compare it to tension it was with stock pulley. Currently it's one hole from the left if your facing it from front of car. I was wondering if it would be good in the same hole. Anyone know how much belt deflection I should have?

Users who are viewing this thread