dohc into 1998 gt

jconde

Established Member
hi everyone I'm new to the site anyhow i have 98 GT MUSTANG stock sohc is gone i am wanting to swap a 2001 cobra motor and trans that i have into the car i know that the fuel setup needs to be changed to a returnless please can someone tell me how to go about doing this and if i can use any of the stock 2 valve fuel system parts and what wiring i will need to do any help is huge thanks

sohcgt96

Established Member
This is going to be similar to putting in a 1998 Mark VIII engine, which is what I did.

I don't know if 96-98 Cobra fuel rails fit that intake but they probably do. Then just hooks right up to your factory fuel lines.

If you're going to use the GT's 4 post coil packs and plug wires, you will notice they aren't going to seal in the Cobra's valve covers since that year cobra uses coil on plug. I don't know if you can make the valve covers for the early engines clear under the cobra's intake but if you use an intake spacer you might be ok. I can't do that though, no spacers for the Mark Intakes.

Don't forget the external thermostat setup.

You'll also want to get the Cobra of that year's throttle and cruise cables, it takes a longer one than the GT.

jconde

Established Member
hey thanks for the info i think im gonna stay return style can i just use a 1998 cobra fuel rail like you said and as far as the spark plugs i am clueless as what to do and can i get my stock sohc ecu to work with the 2001 motor with a tune or something

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You will need 96-98 fuel rails but they will only fit if you relocate the mounig tabs. The stock ECU will run the motor and the stock 2v harness will work as well.

You will need throttle and cruise cables for a 99/01 Cobra.

You may have to weld a bung onto the crossover for a temp sensor, but I'm not sure. The 96-98 Cobras use two temp sensors, one for the gauge and one fo the computer, the 01 engine should have only one. I'm not sure how many are on the 98 GTs.

You can switch to the 96-98 ignition system if you use 96-98 valve covers. You can also use the 01 COPs if you modify the harness.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some more info.

Users who are viewing this thread