Dogs on laps while driving LEO's Help

giz93cobra

AllWayz Sidewayz
Established Member
I have a question for all the LEO's. Is there a law that states a dog cannot be on your lap while driving? If not there should be. I almost got hit today because some woman was holding her dog (that was standing in the drivers open window of her car) while going 60 MPH. It was some little chiuahua looking dog. This can't be legal, to have an animal on lap while driving. This has to be one of the most stupid and dangerous ideas that these woman drivers have. It's bad enough we have to deal with text messengers and make-up appliers, Do we have to add these A## Hats to the mix!!! :fm::mj::cuss:
I'm in Maryland and I'm wondering if this is a law and if I should call this in next time I see it going on?? Thanks guys for your time and your service..:beer:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
As far as I know the only state that has passed a bill is California.

:bowdown:

I wish..

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_10580617

Governor vetoes ban on driving with pets
By The Associated Press
Article Launched: 09/27/2008 11:09:01 PM PDT

SACRAMENTO - It's still legal for Hollywood celebrities - and the rest of Californians - to drive with animals nestled in their laps.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is vetoing a bill to fine motorists $35 for sharing the driver's seat with lapdogs or other animals.

Republican Assemblyman Bill Maze of Visalia says driving with lap livestock is distracting.

He introduced the bill after seeing a woman driving with three dogs on her lap.

The Hollywood governor isn't taking a position on the merits of driving-while-pet-

impaired.

California's record budget impasse means Schwarzenegger must consider more than 800 bills before Tuesday's midnight deadline.

His veto messages says he's signing only bills that are "the highest priority for California."

And a lapdog ban isn't one of them.

MORE ACTION ON

CALIFORNIA LEGISLATION

$5 billion for courthouse building: California courthouses will get $5 billion for construction and upgrades under a bill signed into law by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. The bill signed Friday authorizes a $5billion bond to pay for about 40 major court projects statewide. Los Angeles County is among the first 12 counties awaiting funding. The bonds will be repaid by increasing fines and court fees and won't affect most taxpayers. Schwarzenegger says the legislation will produce tens of thousands of jobs at a time of high unemployment. Court officials say they need
Advertisement
Click Here
nearly $10 billion to improve courthouses and build additional space. They say 90 percent of the state's 460 courthouses now are crowded, deteriorating or unsafe.

Massage therapists to be certified: California will create its first statewide certification system for massage therapists under a new law. Sen. Jenny Oropeza, a Democrat from Long Beach, says her legislation will help identify legitimate therapists and make sure they have proper training. It sets up a voluntary certification program managed by a new Massage Therapist Organization. Applicants will have to undergo background checks.

Emergency response agencies merged: A new law will combine two California emergency response offices into one cabinet-level agency to deal with wildfires, earthquakes, floods and other disasters. Schwarzenegger said that merging the Governor's Office of Emergency Services and the Office of Homeland Security will improve the ability to respond to emergencies and natural disasters, making operations more streamlined and efficient. But analysts say it isn't likely to save much money immediately because savings will be offset by merger costs.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
It's so frustrating! I wish there was something that could be done.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
346.88 Obstruction of operator's view or driving mechanism.
(1) No person shall drive a vehicle when it is so loaded or when there are in the front seat such number of persons, or any persons so situated, as to obstruct the view of the operator to the front or to the sides or as to interfere with the operator having free use of both hands and feet to the operating mechanisms or controls of the vehicle.

Animals are covered under this statute in Wisconsin. Passengers showing the driver "a good time" are also covered under this statute. Funny, I have never had someone contest this when cited for the "good time" reason. It's almost like they are embarrassed or something..... LOL:banana::shrug::banana::shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread