Dog owner opinions (staffordshire breed)

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
Okay so Ive decided to get a family dog I am looking into either a staffordshire bull terrier or a staffordshire terrier... I have read nothing but good things about them Talked to a few friends who are vets and say they are great with kids and very protective of their family members.. Problems 1. My gf is nervous of the thought they are breed part pit bull 2. she says she doesnt trust them and 3. she thinks they are for trashy white pppl who live in trailer parks and 4. I cant find any of these breeds even close to me
My arguements are we will be getting it as a pup and any pet raised right will be a good family dog and that since I work nights currently I would like a dog that atleast potrays a threat to anyone who may try to enter my home when im not there

any advice or expierence would be great
thanks

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My wife works at a Veterinary Hospital, we have a Pit/Lab mix that is amazing. We have a few friends with Pitbulls and no issues. Yes, sometimes you get a dog that no matter what you do or how you train that will be a problem. For the majority of dogs, it is on their training. Two sets of friends that have Pits, have kids and have not had any instances of aggression. You introduce them to the baby or kids and create that family bond.

Before worthless ghetto animals got ahold of Pitbulls and Rotties, they were considered "Nanny Dogs." Look at how many late 1800, early 1900 photos had kids with these dogs. There is a reason, they are very loyal and protective. Do your research on the breeder and bloodline. Make sure you are not getting some ghetto animal's failed dog fight project.

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
My in laws have had one since she was a puppy and is 10 now. They are good dogs but can be a handful. She has always had a ton of energy and just recently started to slow down after she blew out her knee. They are incredibly strong but don't always realize it because she will knock down kids and honestly some adults just by trying to come up to them and be nice. She is a great dog though and has never ever been hostile to anyone in the family, but does bark when people come to the door. If you have a lot of energy to put into the dog it can honestly make a great family pet.

wht93gted

Established Member
My in laws have had one since she was a puppy and is 10 now. They are good dogs but can be a handful. She has always had a ton of energy and just recently started to slow down after she blew out her knee. They are incredibly strong but don't always realize it because she will knock down kids and honestly some adults just by trying to come up to them and be nice. She is a great dog though and has never ever been hostile to anyone in the family, but does bark when people come to the door. If you have a lot of energy to put into the dog it can honestly make a great family pet.

sounds like my boxer. She's at 150% speed 24x7, she can knock kids over just out of sheer excitement. Wouldn't hurt a fly though...well, actually, she eats flys.

Anyway, I have tons of friends with all kinds of pits\terrier\mixes etc. They're all amazing, never an issue. Some have kids, some don't. Most of them were rescues from out of state, so who knows their past, but they're all still outstanding pets.

The only time I was ever bitten by a dog was a tiny little 10lb mop looking asshole.

whiplash306

Established Member
OP, if you get one from a pup, they are an incredible companion to have around the house. They're extremely intelligent, eager to please and are more often than not, very loyal. I've never introduced any of ours to another animal that they didn't immediately like - dog, cat, deer, etc….

The biggest consideration you HAVE to keep in mind as a Pit/Staffordshire Terrier owner is the fact that they have been falsely demonized to such an extent that they become an instant liability to consider from birth on. By no means do I say that as a means to dissuade you, more as a means as to encourage extreme and very mature ownership of the breed. If you do it right, which I'm assuming you will, you'll change MANY, MANY people's opinions of the breed. However, if you were to not put in the work and instead throw them in the back yard, they'll not amount to anything more than any other neglected intelligent animal.

Socialize them with EVERYTHING at an early age! - dogs, cats, kids, infants (with a close eye of course), blacks, whites, etc, etc. Literally go out of your way to create purposeful interaction with all of the above and you'll have a WONDERFUL, wonderful animal that will be a joyful family member for years and years to come!

I could keep typing, but will leave you at this - if you'd like, I can recommend an EXTREMELY good breeder that you could inquire from. Send me a PM if interested….

raustin0017

Established Member
We have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This was our 1st of this breed. Dexter was 1 yr old when we rescued him. He was neglected by who had him the first year without any training. Very smart and loving. Took minimum time to settle him down. Been married for 34 years and have always owned a dog...all inside pets. I can 100% tell you that Dexter is the most gentle, loving pet we have ever owned. He is a 65 lb lap dog. Great with children and other animals...except squirrels in the back yard.

oldmodman

Established Member
I've had two.

Both were small females.

Both lived to be 18 years old.

Both dogs loved everybody but wouldn't take any crap from any other dogs and size didn't matter.

Both dogs developed diabetes at around 17 1/2 years old.

Best dogs I have ever had.

Stolen 98

Established Member
I considered this breed but ultimately ended up with a boxer. Mainly for insurance purposes and the research I had done pointed to them being aggressive with other animals and since there are a lot of dogs through out my family I didn't want to have an issue there.

My boxer is a big baby and loves all other animals, which is unfortunate because he has been attacked by other dogs.

jblood37

Established Member

This sounds exactly like my pit. Very loving too. He weighs about 80 lbs and always wants to be in my lap. Occasionally I have to worrry about him getting protective if someone he doesn't know tries to come into the yard, but I don't mind that. I'm happy with mine so far. Had him about a year and a half. Might post a pic later when I'm not at work.

jason6488

Established Member
I owned one who was a rescued bait dog. sweetest dog ever. great with kids, other dogs, very affectionate. I now own a pitbull terrier, also a rescue from a drug dealer or dog fighter (pound wasnt sure which). he has problems with kids. I hired the woman who rehabilitated some of michael vicks fighting dogs. I have learned a few things from her. FIRST its all in the initial socializing. whatever you can expose the dog to as far as different people, the better. SECOND bully breeds are strong willed and energetic. consequently they require structure and an owner who knows how to be pack leader. pack leader doesnt mean dominating the dog by being mean. it means acting like the alpha dog. one of the greatest tricks she taught me was when you feed the dog make it sit, stay, then pretend to eat its food in full sight of the dog. this unequivocally establishes dominance because the alpha pack leader will always eat first. you dont have to get on all fours, just hold the bowl to your mouth, look at your dog and pretent to pick the food up and put it in your mouth for a few seconds. it sounds goofy but it totally works. everyone who is in the house should do it occasionally and it should be done everytime the dog is fed. also more intelligent dogs will challenge authority more often. its just how they work. I doubt these tricks need to be done with all bully breeds, but for mine, who was abused, it did wonders. maybe doing a few of things with your girlfriend and new dog will help her to establish dominance cause when the puppy grows up it will know who's boss and who's not.

B3NN3TT

08 Bullitt #5389
Established Member
Check local ordinances. Some cities prohibit ownership of certain breeds.

Make sure your homeowner's insurance is satisfactory; there is a certain liability threshold that is required in most cases.

Socialize, socialize, socialize; train, train, train. They are so energetic and so smart, they can get out of hand in a hurry. They don't babysit themselves; they demand to be part of the family and interact 100% of the time. If you want a dog just to have a dog around, get another Labrador.

These guys require WORK and ATTENTION, ALL THE TIME. They will not be ignored.

wht93gted

Established Member
SECOND bully breeds are strong willed and energetic. consequently they require structure and an owner who knows how to be pack leader. pack leader doesnt mean dominating the dog by being mean. it means acting like the alpha dog. one of the greatest tricks she taught me was when you feed the dog make it sit, stay, then pretend to eat its food in full sight of the dog. this unequivocally establishes dominance because the alpha pack leader will always eat first. you dont have to get on all fours, just hold the bowl to your mouth, look at your dog and pretent to pick the food up and put it in your mouth for a few seconds. it sounds goofy but it totally works.

I've done the same thing with our boxer from 10weeks old. Not to that extent, but she always has to 'sit' and 'wait' before she can eat. It really does work wonders.

Every feeding she has to 'sit' and 'stay'. I'll put the food down right in front of her and she isn't allowed to eat until I release her.

It only took about a week or two for her to learn the routine, even as a 10wk old puppy.

I didn't have to go the extent of fake eating.

jason6488

Established Member
because of the environment mine came from I have to go to that extent. it sucks, and id love to have 10 minutes alone with the previous owner. I just wont let dumbo be put down because of some asshat...

Randy77

Established Member
Hey I am just a longtime reader here never post, so take my post for what you want. I am a huge dog lover, have been my whole life. You cant go wrong with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, they make great pets, get along good with kids and other animals. I just got my 2nd one he is 16 weeks old as of now, very smart dogs that learn quick. This breed originated in England, it is really called an English Staffordshire bull Terrier, look them up on youtube.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers/Four Paws Kennel/Middlebury,IN
Shenandoah Staffies

These guys are brothers one from is from Indiana, they raise great dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread