Does this sound like a rip off?

MyNamesAriva

Established Member
So ive been having over heating issues with my cobra for a while now and I finally decided to take it to a performance shop. they said that they think I have a bad head gasket because they found exhaust fumes in the cooling system after checking it. They burped the system and they said that it should b ok at least till I get it fixed, as long as I don't get into boost. They also told me that they believe that my heads are lifting when I'm in boost. Well I asked them how much would it b to fix this problem, they told me that if all they have to do is replace the head gasket and also put on some head studs, that it would b around 32 hundred. But they also told me that if once they are there and they find my heads to b warped or cracked, worst case scenario would b around 45 hundred. Now this is just me, but dont these prices seme extremely ridiculous, or is a job like this really that bad?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Hah?
banana_love.gif

$3200 to replace a head gasket and add studs is pathetic :dw: Sounds like they are "mechanically challenged" and should stick with something simple like oil changes or cleaning windshields.

"Lifting heads" :smmon: Yea, if your running 40 lbs of boost :bash:

Last edited:

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Hahahahaha there's no way you're lifting your heads, like the guy above me said, unless you're running 30+psi, you're not going to have to worry about your heads lifting. Definitely a rip off man, go somewhere else.

Jefe

Established Member
They don't know what they are talking about. You're in San Diego? Take your car to Pierre at Woodside Automotive. (619) 443-5600

If you need parts, he or you can use www.LastCallRacing.com which is based in San Diego as well

When did it start overheating? Did you change anything? You might be able to fix this yourself

Burping procedure: http://reischeperformance.com/refill.html

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'll add to the SCAMMER list, take it far away from them! exhaust fumes in the cooling system? that's a new one, haha!

oldmodman

Established Member
Perfectly reasonable price when you consider that they will be doing all the work from the tailpipe end.

At those prices they must be proctologists and only work with assholes.

zeusha

Established Member
So ive been having over heating issues with my cobra for a while now and I finally decided to take it to a performance shop. they said that they think I have a bad head gasket because they found exhaust fumes in the cooling system after checking it. They burped the system and they said that it should b ok at least till I get it fixed, as long as I don't get into boost. They also told me that they believe that my heads are lifting when I'm in boost. Well I asked them how much would it b to fix this problem, they told me that if all they have to do is replace the head gasket and also put on some head studs, that it would b around 32 hundred. But they also told me that if once they are there and they find my heads to b warped or cracked, worst case scenario would b around 45 hundred. Now this is just me, but dont these prices seme extremely ridiculous, or is a job like this really that bad?

No way, thats ridiculous. Head gaskets really aren't that bad. If your used to turning a wrench jus do em urself. But if you need to drop to a shop $1,400-$1,600 should be the MAXIMUM amount to get them done. I only paid that because last time I paid for head gaskets was at dealership. But also put Commetic and ARP studs

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
there is a tester with special fluid that tests for hydrocarbons in the coolant vapors. I would expect head gasket repair to be closer to $2600-$2800 with parts. hell parts are probably gonna cost in the $500 range

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Actually, this does happen. You can determine this if you run a block vapor test.

Do you actually think the shop performed that specific test to come to that conclusion or just said it? And reading back the original thread I thought he said they SAW with their eyes exhaust fumes....

mysteed

Established Member
Do you actually think the shop performed that specific test to come to that conclusion or just said it? And reading back the original thread I thought he said they SAW with their eyes exhaust fumes....
When you run teh test with the dye if there are fumes in the coolant you'll visibly see a change in the dye's color.

Users who are viewing this thread