Does this rumor hold true for modded Cobras?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
as a general rule that is 100% true. as Evillsnake said it will depend on the mods and what the buyers want.

But you will NOT EVER get the money you have in mods out, EVER. so if you plan on doing heavy mods you should plan on keeping the car forever or plan on taking a hefty loss when you sell it. That is a fact and cannot be disputed.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
the simple mods really dont make a diff on resale most cobra are modded already anyway

03DOHC

Established Member
You wont get back the money you put into the car in mods. It isn't necessarily harder to sell but it does depend on the mods done, the mileage, the condition of the car and the buyer.

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
I bought mine modded for a great price...you do lose money on the mods but if you are a buyer in todays market, you save a ton of money if you buy a car already modded...buyers tend to stay away from cars with high miles which have been heavily modded IMO...just like with anything you own, if you take very good care of it, it shows, and when it comes time to sell, the odds of you getting someone to purchase the car from you are better...

Last edited:

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I sold a modded 01 cobra and pretty much lost the $6k in mods I put into it. So when I was looking for a terminator I would only look at modded ones with low miles and I ended up buying one. I paid a fair price but let the seller eat the cost of modding the car , so that if and when I sell it I will not lose as much. I will add a few things to my taste but not a lot. The mods had to be ones I was looking for with receipts.

I would pay more for a low miles modded car than a stock one.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
The more modded the Cobra the harder to sell and will sell for less than a 'STOCK' Cobra.:fm:

Like everyone has stated, you will not get the "value" of the mods when you sell the car. BUT a mildly modded one should not sell for less then a stock one.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Your typical 03/04 with an upper/lower pulley, exhaust, SCT tuner, etc should go for around the same price as a stock one. I think its when you start getting into KB and Whipple's with big a/m fuel systems, etc that you see a dropoff in what you put into the car compared to what you can sell it for.

Steve2050

Established Member
Some T/S cars are returned to "stock" for a faster sale. The parts are then sold off to recover some of the investment.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Simply put, look at the money you invest in mods as the price of having more fun with your car. Call it an "entertainment expense". You spend $2,000. on a vacation and when you return you pretty much are left with a nice tan (maybe), nice photos, a few souvenirs, and a lot of fond memories. Such is the case with mods. You won't get your money back, but you WILL have a ton of fun times and fond memories that will stay with you forever. :)

Remember, too, that some stock Terminators are in worse shape than some high modded Terminators. As said above, a lot depends on the driver/owner, too.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Personally I would look for a modded car. I know I will mod it anyway, so I'd look for a car with some of the mods I would do. It will save me money in the long run. You need to be careful on how the car was taken care of. Running compression and leakdown checks for example.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Simply put, look at the money you invest in mods as the price of having more fun with your car. Call it an "entertainment expense". You spend $2,000. on a vacation and when you return you pretty much are left with a nice tan (maybe), nice photos, a few souvenirs, and a lot of fond memories. Such is the case with mods. You won't get your money back, but you WILL have a ton of fun times and fond memories that will stay with you forever. :)

Remember, too, that some stock Terminators are in worse shape than some high modded Terminators. As said above, a lot depends on the driver/owner, too.

Very well said. hmmm "entertainment expense" that's what I'll tell my wife next time I buy for the stang.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
besides the obvious reasons for wanting an unmolested vehicle.... the best part of owning one of these cars is how simple the majority of the mods are. it's nice to start with a clean canvess and get the satisfaction of doing alot of it yourself. not to mention i know the only aftermarket tune that's been on the pcm was initiated by me

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

i agree 100%

JymBart

Established Member
But you will NOT EVER get the money you have in mods out, EVER. That is a fact and cannot be disputed.

Aaaaaaaah not so fast now, ........... my Cobra is insured for $40,000.00, .. if it's totaled in a accident, stolen and sold for parts, ..... burnt to the ground I get $40,000.00 for it. Guess you could say it's worth more totaled. It's insured with Heacok Classic, ... has 3,000 miles on it and is not a daily driver. Soooooo never say never.

JymBart

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
Personally I would look for a modded car. I know I will mod it anyway, so I'd look for a car with some of the mods I would do. It will save me money in the long run. You need to be careful on how the car was taken care of. Running compression and leakdown checks for example.

Thats the way I look at it too. Atleast without getting into the motor. You can look at everything as a supporting mod and a bolt on to the stout factory engine.

There are cars that you have to actually build the engine, swap heads, cam(s), and intake to make real power. I would not want to buy a car like that, thats already been built. but an 03-04 Cobra that someone bolted a twin screw to a stock motor with all the supporting upgrades, hell yeah. I would be doing the same thing.

Now one with a built bottom end, teksid block, ported heads, and stage XXX cams, Id have to pass on that one and build it myself

jdblown03

Established Member

Couldn't have said it better. I also consider tires as a consumable just like gas which some people look at tires as a 2-3 year investment.

Users who are viewing this thread