does the k.b. kit work

gunslinger

Established Member
anybody have a stock cobra with just a k.b. 2.2 or 2.4 with just there bap and switch chip at 13psi with no other mods including stock inj.and meter.if so does it work without a custom tune and what kinda power. thanks for info

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are you serious about using a KB with the stock exhaust, meter, etc.? Or did you miss something in your question? I'm a bit confused.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Are you serious about using a KB with the stock exhaust, meter, etc.? Or did you miss something in your question? I'm a bit confused.

Read carefully guys...he's using a custom tune. It comes with the KB kit and their switch chip. I think he wants to know how good their tune is straight out of the box. BTW, I've heard it's good...but no documentation to support that.

gunslinger

Established Member
yes i want to know if the their switch chip works from what i am reading on their site u can use their chip at any boost level without a tune everytime i dont have the funds yet to get inj.,meter , exhaust and custom tune.can i run the k.b. at 13 psi it will still be more pwer than a pullied eaton. then when i have more funds i will upgrade with a custom tune,inj, meter,exhaust and up the boost. thanks for input

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Guy I know is running exhaust and a 2.2 KB with stock meter, injectors and with the BAP installed. he made 535 corrected. His car runs pretty good, no issues. He is at 6000 ft though.

03Slither

Established Member
I have been searching around this site and other’s looking for the same answer. Tough finding some one that’s running a KB 2.2 with a 13# pound pulley, Bap, Switch chip, stock injectors and Maf. It looks like a lot of people are doing the ported thing. Like you, I would like to start with KB’s kit and a 13# pulley and work my way up from their. Hopefully some one will post their experience with this combination.

ddurnan

VET ETR
Established Member
When you order a KB, they will ask you what mods and what kind of boost you want to run...They will program the chip to suit...if you change the boost level you need to update the tune..

Jpjr

Established Member
hmm.. this is interesting...

so, is that what some of you guys do, canned tune from KB, for KB?

as good as a tune would be straight from KB.. wouldn't a custom tune from any reputable shop be better? or do tuners not know KB blowers well enough? i would assume it would be just as easy..

03Slither

Established Member
Ddurnan, I was under the impression KB tuned for 91-octane gas and if you wanted to run more boost you would up you octane not change your switch chip tune. Will have to do more reading on this.

Jpjr, there are definitely some reputable shops and great tuners out there making great #’s on KB’s. I personally will be useing KB’s tune with their 13-pound pulley for a time (Unless someone changes my mind).

Torch10th, thanks for the feedback. Is you friend running KB’s CAI?

Gunslinger, sounds good.

Would probably get a SCT custom tune, 60lb injectors, SCT Maf, as I increase boost later on (for the big #’s).

Would still like to know if anyone is having derivability problems with KB’s flip chip at 13#’s.

Thanks guys for the feed back, keep it coming.

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
Maybe i can help....I have a KB at 15 psi using the KB flip chip (as of now, i am about to have a new chip tuned in order to make more power and also it does run rich on this tune from KB) When i put the KB on it made around 563hp on the KB tune for the 15 psi. I few months later i hit the dyno again and tried the 21 psi pulley with the kb chip on tune #2 and used race gas. The car ran lean at i think around 3500 to 4000rpm and we had to get out of it. At that point i had a tuner come in and burn a chip for me and tried it again. Well, it was close to the same results. It went lean at close to 5500 to 6000rpm, but not before it registered close to 670hp. We tried a few more runs and same result, LEAN. So we put the kb chip back in and stayed on the 15 psi set up. The conclusion is that to go over about 15 to 17 psi will need a custom chip tuned and probably larger injectors. I will probably go to 60# injectors myself. The other mods on the car at the time of this tune was a CAI, pro chamber, cat back, BAP, and gauges to monitor boost and fuel. Maybe this will help.

Users who are viewing this thread