Does Red Line MTL damage synchros?

Cobra'03

Established Member
*** WARNING: THIS IS AN OIL THREAD *** Those of you who are sick of the topic are fairly warned.

Doug from BilletFlow contacted me, and said that they had seen some "glazing" of the synchro rings on some cars with MTL. The "spin" from some of his contacts is that "MTL is too slippery" He asked for my opinion.

Here is what I commented:

1) The coefficicent of friction for Red Line MTL is lower than any standard lubricant other than motor oil. It is higher than Dexron, gear oils, and other ATF's. So it is not likely to cause accelerated wear due to synchro "spin".

Honda used to recommend 10w30 or 5w30 motor oil for its transmissions because of the good synchro action. But that required frequent changers, and those are 100 HP engines with low torque. The shearing forces in a Cobra T56 are much greater.

Honda also changed its recommendation in 1996 - I had a 1995 NSX, and it came with 10w30 motor oil. In 1996, Honda developed its own manual transmission lubricant, which is modeled after MTL and is called...drum roll...MTF. Honda rasied the change freq from 30k miles to 100k with the MTF.

2) Red Line recommends MTL for T56's used on the track, D4ATF for the street. D4 is more slippery than MTL.

3) The 200 Cobra 'r" came with Mobil1 I think. Mobil1 ATf is more slippery than recgular Dexron III or Mercon V, both of which are more slippery than MTL.

4) What about GM Syncromesh? Well, it appears to be a fortified light parrafin based lube, similar to motor oil, but with some additives for tranny use. It was designed and fits the spec for tranmissions developed in Germany by Getrag, and the ZF transmission used for a while in the LT1 Corvettes. This was done because those German trannies have unusual synchro and yellow metal internals, and GM found that some GL-5 lubes corroded them.

GM syncromesh may or may not stand up in our cars - if you use it, change it often.

As to the claim that "TTC recommends it", the engineer I talked to at TTC denied this. I have never seen anyone produce a shred of tangible evidence other than hearsay on that point.

5) One word of caution. MTL needs to warm up to work its magic, It is possible than when used from a cold start and driven hard with a built up Cobra, synchro action might not be optimal. But I still come back to the fact that its COF is nearly ideal, and nearly flat across the RPM range since it is a "designed" lube.

So the answer is..perhaps, but the jury is still out. The guys Doug cited are not running cars lightly, and it miught just as well be that were it not for the MTL, the trannies might have already failed!

3)

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
OMG you Type just like Toad...:eek: :)

I think we're gunna try the D4ATF this time and see what happens...what do you think JB?

FYI: JB would never thrash on his car unless it was warmed up...never....ever would he do this.... ;-) right JB?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
yep, gonna use Redline D4 this time around

I really don't thrash on it when its cold, Doug...honestly!

since I don't drive it in the winter I usually just give it a couple miles and then consider it "warmed up" and start driving it the way it was designed to be driven...hehehe

btw, I thought it was the blocker rings that were geting glazed from the MTL...is that the same thing as the synchros? :shrug:

dougwg

Established Member
not the same.... but when the blocking rings don't grab like they should they "BLOCK" you from putting it into gear.....if you force it it will wear out the synchros and your synchros are wore more then normal as per "The Man".

I told him you have about 4,000 miles on it....is this correct?

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
not the same.... but when the blocking rings don't grab like they should they "BLOCK" you from putting it into gear.....if you force it it will wear out the synchros and your synchros are wore more then normal as per Craig.

I told him you have about 4,000 miles on it....is this correct?

yes, 4000 miles.....about half that with the MTL......it shifted poorly (even during light shifting) from day one though and I never really forced it into gear

edit: on second thought, I guess I did end up "forcing" it with moderate pressure a few times but whenever that happened I was completely out of the throttle at that point, having aborted my speedshift because I felt resistance going into gear...those aborted speedshifts are probably what caused the excessive wear

I never powershifted it once though...I was always afraid to because it's shifting was so unreliable :chicken:

Last edited:

BadAndy

Established Member
MTL

After talking to Doug earlier in the week and reading this thread I started looking on the web for some more information on the web and found this on an eclipse/talon site.

"Solution #1 came up in 1992 when the first TSB called for adding a 'friction modifier' to the transmission fluid. The modifier increases the frictional coefficient of the fluid, so the synchronizer rings (synchros) match speeds faster. There have also been several synchro design updates throughout the various years, intended to improve the crunchy shifting. Of course, to take advantage of these requires a transmission rebuild.

Many DSMers end up using Redline MTL, BG Synchroshift or GM Synchromesh in their transmissions. All of these fluids have the same purpose - to increase friction, just as the Mitsu fluid modifier is intended to do. Most owners report at least some improvement with the new fluids, but most experience significantly better shifting. Opinions and experiences vary.

Recent experience suggests that Redline MTL gains in shifting performance by sacrificing synchro longevity. This is not exactly news, but more and more owners are reporting this problem with MTL now that there are alternative fluids available. Many owners considered the tradeoff to be well worth it. However, more people are now recommending a mix of Redline MTL with MT-90 gear oil, to combat both problems at once."

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/Frameless/answers-problems.htm#GMsync1

I looked at a lot of web pages and message boards for Mustangs, Triumphs, Range Rovers, Isuzu's, Miatas, Hondas etc. and every one of them seemed to favored GM Syncromesh for the smoothest shifting. I did not find anything about how if affected the durability of the trans however. I've used MTL in my '89 for 8 or 9 years. The trans didn't seem to shift any better, but the syncros are just now starting to show signs of the abuse that I gave it (6000 RPM launches with slicks and power shifts). The car had a cam ported TFS heads, ported intake etc.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess my dealer was correct in recommending that I not use Redline MTF -- which I did anyway. He recommended I stick with the stock fluid and was being straight up with me. If he thought MTL was a better fluid he would have told me. Looks like I'm going to make a fluid change late summer.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Did I read that right...that MTL *increases* friction? That sounds antithetical for a fluid that is supposed to act like a lubricant.

Good information. I'll stick with stock type for longevity...

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Any news update on Royal Purple tranny fluid? As I recall, a while back, you were trying to get some information about Royal Purple and they were either slow or not very responsive to your request for product information.

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
And this is why ford went from Mercon, to Synth Mercon, and the BACK to Mercon. Not enough grip with synth and causes shifting concerns. Stick with Mercon for now.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Joe and everyone - coefficient of friction and friction reduction are totally different. Do not equate the two. They are not mutually exclusive.

BigJohnson: The T56 says "Dex III only" on the case - that is slippery as all get out. The Cobra owner's manual does say Mercon, but it has higher COF than MTL.

I would not mix fluids.

Did anyone read my post - all the ATF's have lower COF than MTL, so how would it cause more slip than them? It is a non sequitur.

I mistook blocker rings for synchros, but is the oeprating principle the same - alignment from the velocity of spin? If not, please explain operating principles of blockers please.

RE: dealer recommendations. Wasn't aware they studied lubricants - don't they always toe the factory line?

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
My experience has been that powershifting takes more effort and more time since switching to D4 from the stock fluid, and It's starting to require monumental effort to get into gear when it's dead cold.

How much extra wear would the MTF put on the syncros, because so far I'm planning on switching over to get back to easier shifting.

In the bright news, the transmission is much much quieter than it was stock with Redline D4 ATF in it.

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
I mistook blocker rings for synchros, but is the operating principle the same - alignment from the velocity of spin? If not, please explain operating principles of blockers please.

Cobra'03, I'm not correcting you, just offering my take on what is happening.(this statement is not intended for Cobra'03 but rather anyone who thinks that I think I know $hit from shinola...cuz I don't) :p

From what I gather the "Blocker Rings" do 2 things

1) Grab the gear and slow it down for the synchros.

2) If it is not doing it's job of "slowing", it Blocks you from putting it in gear momentarilytill it does grab and slow it down.

From what I understand from what “The Man” told me, is if the fluid is too slippery the Blocker rings won’t grab and slow the gears down fast enough, therefore blocking you from putting it in gear momentarily.

If this happens AND you FORCE IT (forceful power shifting), it will wear the synchros badly.

Also from what I understand just about ANY fluid (trans fluid) will work in this trans.

Different fluids are not the cause of “Premature Synchros Wear”(PSW) but rather, YOU wanting the Trans To shift faster then it is capable of and forcing it in gear.

New acronym PSW. :thumbsup:

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Actually doug you are very close, only thing is blocker rings do no slowing down. To bring the gears up "close" to the same speed is the job of the syncro rings, these are either a lined ring (something like brake or clutch material), or brass (old school). They usually reside next to blocker rings.

Friendchicken

Sorry for being so irrelevant to the topic, but... does anyone else wonder about some issue or question regarding this car, and then it's answered by this site on the following day?

Cobra'03, your powers of ESP are appreciated...

I am currently having the TOB sqeal and did some hard shifting the last few days. If was kinda notchy before, but now it requires more force to put in gear under normal driving. I'm probably going to start/stay with the factory lube for now... or should I start with MTL?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Re: MTL

Originally posted by BadAndy
"Many DSMers end up using Redline MTL, BG Synchroshift or GM Synchromesh in their transmissions. All of these fluids have the same purpose - to increase friction, just as the Mitsu fluid modifier is intended to do. Most owners report at least some improvement with the new fluids, but most experience significantly better shifting. Opinions and experiences vary."

"Recent experience suggests that Redline MTL gains in shifting performance by sacrificing synchro longevity."

Originally posted by Cobra'03
"Joe and everyone - coefficient of friction and friction reduction are totally different. Do not equate the two. They are not mutually exclusive.

I am confused. Bad Andy says that the listed fluids increase friction. How can a fluid increase friction and decrease it at the same time?

I believe I understand the difference between coefficent of friction (difference of frictional force between two bodies versus normal force between the same two bodies) and friction reduction (introduction of lubricant to reduce the frictional force). At least, that how how *I* understand it...might be wrong. I'm mostly confused by BadAndy's comment.

Could it be that MTL increases coefficient of friction in the synchronizers to cause them to spool up to the correct speed to engage, causing them to wear prematurely? If this happens, wouldn't this same lubricational property also cause premature wear on the bearings and the gears?

Like I said, I'm confused. :dw:

BadAndy

Established Member
friction

Just to clarify, that is simply a quote from another message board from people who seemed to be seeing syncro damage similar to what Doug had asked Cobra '03 about. My personal knowledge of oil is relatively limited. Based on my experience with MTL I purchased some for my 03, but have yet to use it in the car. After reading all of the positive comments about GM syncromesh I am thinking of trying it first.

Cobra'03

Established Member
The coefficient of friction
is an empirical rule that is associated with the force required
to move one object rubbing against another relative to the force
with which the two objects are being pressed together. The rule
is that the required force for motion is linearly proportional to
the normal force, and the ratio between the two is the coefficient
of friction (always between 0 and 1). There are different coefficients
for different types of motion - there is a coefficient to get the
motion started, and another to keep it going, and yet another associated
with "rolling" as opposed to sliding.
Friction comes from the electrical interactions between the two
surfaces at the level of the atoms and molecules, and can often
be significantly reduced by interposing a liquid (a lubricant) between
the two surfaces, because then the upper surface slides on a layer
of lubricant which can move freely over the other layer of lubricant
attached to the lower surface.

See the difference? One relates to sliding, one to "connection" to put it in easy to understand terms.

Users who are viewing this thread