Does polishing valve covers cause more heat soak?

follervidez

Established Member
Well just like the title says, I want to polish the valve covers but I am a little concerned there will be a increase of heat.does anyone know if it will? Anyone have them polished?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Soap

Established Member
Nope. If anything it would be slightly cooler because the powdercoat would be gone.

--Joe

94slowbra1

Established Member
In theory polishing aluminum does take away some of its ability to dissipate heat. You a removing the small casting marks and some surface area by polishing. Is it going to make a difference in the valve covers, I wouldn't think so. I say the difference would be neglegable. So go for it.
Side note: I would try to seal them when they are done. They are going to be a bitch to keep up with
In for pics when they are done!

GodStang

Established Member
In theory polishing aluminum does take away some of its ability to dissipate heat. You a removing the small casting marks and some surface area by polishing. Is it going to make a difference in the valve covers, I wouldn't think so. I say the difference would be neglegable. So go for it.
Side note: I would try to seal them when they are done. They are going to be a bitch to keep up with
In for pics when they are done!

So this would be true on bare aluminum. In this case we are talking about taking Aluminum with a powder coating over it and remove the coating and polishing them. The normal powder coat does hold in a tad bit of heat. I doubt enough to notice. In the end should be a break even.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely post a follow-up when the covers are done. I think they're going to look great. So a photo is a must! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread