Does intercooler piping size matters????

slickv8

Established Member
im putting a vortech on my mach 1 and im going to be running 8-9 pounds. Bought an 2.5 intercooler and im going to buy 2.5" piping for it.
First question is:

-Is 2.5" piping going to affect my setup in any way?

-Can i run a 90mm sct maf ba2400 in the 2.5" piping?

Any good tuner in the miami area?

01yellercobra

Established Member
1) The size of the pipe will become a restriction at some point. But I think that doesn't happen until you're in the 20psi range.

2) You can run the 2400. You'll have to run reducers to match the MAF to the pipe though. I think the MAF housing is 4".

slickv8

Established Member
than im ok for now on the 2.5" piping.
you are correct the maf 90mm maf is 4", wouldn't affect the tuning using the reducers for the maf?
Can i use the stock maf for 8-9 punds of boost?
Do i need to an ait sensor when using either of them?

01yellercobra

Established Member
IMO you'll be fine with the 2.5" pipe for now. But should you want to get serious down the road you'll want to upgrade. The reducers could cause turbulence around the MAF, but your only other choice is to mount the MAF to a 2.5" pipe and you'll more then likely need a MAFia. I wouldn't use the stock MAF for any boost personally. And yes, you need an IAT sensor. It's built into the MAF on your Mach. Some guys clip the wires and use the IAT2 from a Lightning. It's threaded so no chance of blowing it out or leaking boost.

slickv8

Established Member
i was also thinking of taking the 90mm maf out of the housing and putting it on the factory maf housing for less turbulance but dont know if it will work.

slickv8

Established Member
I changed my mind and connected the maf in the intake of the supercharger and the ait sensor in the pipe going to the throtle body what do you guys thing is better than having all the turbulance from the reducers i think.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You really need to talk to your tuner and see what he says. IMO a blow through set up is much better then a draw through set up. When I had the draw through on my car the driveability was horrible. The blow set up is a lot better.

slickv8

Established Member
i installed the cobra injectors today and the autolite xp103, installed the maf in the vortech intake and the ait sensor in the elbow of the throtle body.

What do you think about this spark plugs and are this injectors enough for 450hp?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are those the platinum plugs? If they are, swap them out for the copper 103's. The 39's are supposed to be good for 500hp. But each set up is different.

slickv8

Established Member
im going to tune tomorrow can i leave the iridium plugs in and change them after i tune?
what is so bad about the iridiem plugs?

any other plugs that will work and is easy to find in advance autoparts?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Iridium is fine. I've heard good things about them. I've never run them personally.

slickv8

Established Member
lets see how the tuning goes tomorrow. thanks a million you have being a huge help man.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Piping should be sized like any other performance part on a car - based on the HP it can support, below is a rough outline for HP and tube size, this is based on our own research over the years and has proven to be very accurate:

2" up to 500
2.5" up to 750
3" up to 1000
3.5" up to 1800
4.0" up to 2800

Keep in mind these #s above are when blowing through the tube, when sucking through the tube these #'s are reduced tremendously (ie 4" will support 700-800HP

Hope this info helps!

MMR

MMR%202010%20launch%20banner%20video.jpg

Last edited:

slickv8

Established Member
Car hasnt been dyno yet but we did a street tune and its running really hard, but the only problem is having is that when im going 50 and i disingage the gear it turns off. Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

slickv8

Established Member
The maf is in front of the blower but no completly inside the fende, the speedo is connected

Users who are viewing this thread