Does ford need a new CEO?

Dusten

Established Member
Bought a brand new S550 PP 6 speed car. Garage kept. Took immaculate care of it. Had 5k on it when I sold it. Detailing on a particularly sunny day revealed they painted the hood very thin and in the contours of the hood you could actually see primer/sealer under the paint. It made the hood look like a shiny fade.

Needless to say, I sold it to someone who didn't care and got bit by the S550 bug. Loved that car, but quality control was awful. I won't be buying another new ford.
I had an 08 F250 with those issues. I had the entire truck repainted under warranty.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The things you don't hear about in the news is the corporate culture. That's where the real story is.

Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, Fields is part of the old Ford guard. From what I've read, he had to really change when Mulally came on board. My concern in that he and the rest of his leadership team are slowly sliding back to that culture.

BossMP

Established Member
Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, Fields is part of the old Ford guard. From what I've read, he had to really change when Mulally came on board. My concern in that he and the rest of his leadership team are slowly sliding back to that culture.
I respectfully disagree. Mark Fields was not only hand selected but groomed by Alan Mulally to be his successor. Mulally is a genius at engineering corporate comebacks, one of the best of our time. He has an uncanny ability to see the future of the companies he manages and help steer them down the path that makes them profitable by leaning out wasteful spending and changing old, outdated processes into new ones that make money. He did it with Boeing and again with Ford. He is also a great team builder. Fields has the grit to stay the course even when times aren't the best and Mulally knew that. I think when the chips are down he's still the best man for the job.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I respectfully disagree. Mark Fields was not only hand selected but groomed by Alan Mulally to be his successor. Mulally is a genius at engineering corporate comebacks, one of the best of our time. He has an uncanny ability to see the future of the companies he manages and help steer them down the path that makes them profitable by leaning out wasteful spending and changing old, outdated processes into new ones that make money. He did it with Boeing and again with Ford. He is also a great team builder. Fields has the grit to stay the course even when times aren't the best and Mulally knew that. I think when the chips are down he's still the best man for the job.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

IMO, AM's greatest leadership trait was tolerating precisely zero bullshit. Spin and ass covering at the top has traditionally been a major issue in Ford.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
My main issue with my S550 is here I'm paying 500 a month on a car that shouldn't have any issues. But it did. It had rattles and squeaks. Paint issues. The worlds worst cold start driving characteristics (the car would buck under part throttle- well known issue). I could go on. Absolutely loved the car but if they want to demand 30k+ for a low option GT then I should get my moneys worth in quality.

I wouldn't have been happy with the car had it been repainted. Nor would I want it at that point. I've since turned my back on new cars and bought an older GMC pickup and an old notchback to scratch the itch. I can deal with crap so long as I'm not bleeding money to pay for it at the same time as fixing it.

Dusten

Established Member
My main issue with my S550 is here I'm paying 500 a month on a car that shouldn't have any issues. But it did. It had rattles and squeaks. Paint issues. The worlds worst cold start driving characteristics (the car would buck under part throttle- well known issue). I could go on. Absolutely loved the car but if they want to demand 30k+ for a low option GT then I should get my moneys worth in quality.

I wouldn't have been happy with the car had it been repainted. Nor would I want it at that point. I've since turned my back on new cars and bought an older GMC pickup and an old notchback to scratch the itch. I can deal with crap so long as I'm not bleeding money to pay for it at the same time as fixing it.
Try paying 60+ for a diesel with similar issues

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That tends to happen when one engine has a $100 million dollar marketing campaign that last over 7yrs while the other engine has virtually zero advertising and is basically detuned, underated and treated like a bastard red-headed step child.

They don't even bother putting v8 badges on the coyote f-150s. The fact that they still account for over 25% of f-150 sales with zero advertising speaks volumes.
I see people drive them everyday, and choose the Ecoboost. When I was driving F150s, that's all I drove.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I test drove all 3 motors in 11 and bought an eb

It would blow people's minds how often that happens.

I have at least 3 people a week that come in swearing up and down they wouldnt buy a V6...then they do after they drive it.

Pretty typical. It's an incredibly impressive powertrain.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
It would blow people's minds how often that happens.

I have at least 3 people a week that come in swearing up and down they wouldnt buy a V6...then they do after they drive it.

Pretty typical. It's an incredibly impressive powertrain.
No V8 no buy...oh wait. Although I do think Fords unveiling of performance vehicles and the roll out of them has sucked for the consumer.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No V8 no buy...oh wait. Although I do think Fords unveiling of performance vehicles and the roll out of them has sucked for the consumer.

It just sucks because they do a very good job with the supply and demand curve.

They do a remarkable job marketing their performance vehicles to demand a premium on launch. VERY few other manufacturers have ever had this talent.

Ford is moving in the right direction. Their current stock prices are low, and understated based on their baggage of the European market. The European market will be upticking, causing the stocks to increase. I think they closed right over $11 today? This is a good time to buy.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I wish I had bought the stock back in '09 when it was sub $2. But no I bought a lot of alcohol instead...

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
LOL at the "wish we had Dodge's CEO" comment. as much of a Hellcat/SRT fan as ive become, the rest of FCAs offerings are absolute junk. the RAM band was just listed as the worst new car brand for reliability. out of the top ten least reliable brands nearly half are FCA.

we are enthusiasts, but GT500s and hellcats and other HIPO offerings are a very small chunk of sales and profits. sure GM can slam out 45 versions of the camaro, and a new 100k mid engine C8, but their lineup is full of boring, ugly and poorly made cars. meanwhile Ford sales are climbing and the quality of their cars is ever better.

i think right now ford is caught in between, not knowing exactly how to proceed with the mustang. seems like they are wait for the 18s to release, so far i see a Mach 1/bullit and GT500 slated for production. the Fusion is due for total redesign and the new Fiesta drops soon.

im an ecobost fan, sent 4 years with a SHO and enjoyed it. car was rock solid and trouble free, got 18mpg city and 27hwy and had plenty of punch for fun. the ecoboost trucks are fantastic too.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wish I had bought the stock back in '09 when it was sub $2. But no I bought a lot of alcohol instead...
A friend of mine took the early buyout at Ford, received $225k... paid his house off with $75k of it then took $150k and bet on Ford. He cashed out when it was just over $13; I think he got in at $1.13 or something silly like that.

Coiled03

Established Member

Well done, Sadie lol. But I can't say much. I didn't buy any stock, either.

I still can't wrap my head around buying a V-6 truck.

Dusten

Established Member
Well done, Sadie lol. But I can't say much. I didn't buy any stock, either.

I still can't wrap my head around buying a V-6 truck.
The only thing v6 about it is the size of the engine. It's power is better, more linear. You can't hear the engine most of the time anyways. Really the only downside is swallowing your ego. And that goes away as soon as you tow something and realize it towed like a diesel.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
we are enthusiasts, but GT500s and hellcats and other HIPO offerings are a very small chunk of sales and profits. sure GM can slam out 45 versions of the camaro, and a new 100k mid engine C8, but their lineup is full of boring, ugly and poorly made cars. meanwhile Ford sales are climbing and the quality of their cars is ever better.

I think you may want to recheck your assumptions. GM has had a string of very strong years. Most would agree that they've outperformed the other two domestic OEM's in most business results and quality metrics during that period.

Lineup mix is subjective, so no issue with your opinion there.

Famine

Established Member
Their entire model range will be completely changed in 5 years. We will hardly recognize them.

Hybrid mustangs, all electric SUV's, hybrid F-150, etc.
Once that garbage happens, im done with newer cars. They will end up mandating that people buy that shit for companies to stay in business. I will buy used the rest of my life.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Once that garbage happens, im done with newer cars. They will end up mandating that people buy that shit for companies to stay in business. I will buy used the rest of my life.

I'm pretty close to that point myself for toys. I'll still end up buying newer cars for my wife, but I'll probably buy older stuff for myself.

nickf2005

Established Member
The only thing v6 about it is the size of the engine. It's power is better, more linear. You can't hear the engine most of the time anyways. Really the only downside is swallowing your ego. And that goes away as soon as you tow something and realize it towed like a diesel.

The more reading I've been doing on the F150 EB, the more likely I'm going to end up with one. Seriously, the 2.7 can tow 7,700lbs depending on the rearend you put in it. That'll pull most of what people are towing anyways. Plus, now that gas prices are lower, people are buying trucks to use as cars, so they'll never see a Reese Hitch to begin with.

This may not relate to lower sales or stock prices, but the thing I find troubling is that one nearly cannot buy a new Crew cab 4x4 for under $40K. Majority of the trucks sitting on my local dealer's lot are $50K plus! I'd have a hard time using a truck for a truck at that price point. However, I digress. This thread's not about truck prices.

Users who are viewing this thread