Does everyone really hate the front plate?

HPLouis

Established Member
When I put my car for sale last year, I got so many messages telling me, ‘damn, if it wasn’t for that front plate’. I also saw those messages when people would post pics of their cars in FB groups.

Then I bought this car and the prior owner threw in a fully painted Ford front bumper painted in Mystichrome with chin because he just hated the front plate so bad. I gladly accepted it.

My question, is the front plate really that bad? Is it a dealbreaker for some? I don’t really have a voice because I live in NYC so no front plate will get me noticed by cops (and I’m already noticed with the tints and Stingers.

IMG_1398.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Texas requires a front plate as well. I hate the front plate so much that I refuse to drill holes in my bumper.

However, my Cobra's and Roush are not daily drivers. So, I'm not really taking any big risks. Also, the very few times I have been pulled over I show the front plate and I'm let off with a warning.

Yes, my daily drivers do have front plates, but I'll never drill holes in my Mustang's.

However, I would buy a Mustang that already has a front plate. So, it's not a deal breaker.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Recon

Established Member
My Mach has a front license plate screwed in the bumper, irritates me to no end. Thankfully my state doesn’t require front mounted license plates and I planned on a 99/01 bumper anyway. It’s not necessarily a deal breaker but it would be marked in the negatives about the car that would get fixed.

Pick your poison.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
It’s not that peoples hate front plate . They just don’t want drill 2 hole on their cobra . Law is law you should follow it. Mine lucky have double side tape when I bought it.

Ask same question on their daily drive vehicles . I’m bet they don’t care

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I think I paid the "No Plate, Fix It" fine twice.... I added a couple L brackets to the bumper foam and put the plate there for the "Fix It" part. I does cover the intercooler flow there, but I removed it a few days after - left the bracket there in case I needed to do it again.

Lack of front plate was used as an excuse to pull me over one of the times - something about speeding the other time.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I hate front plates purely for aesthetic reasons so all of my vehicles, both toys and commuters, are deleted. I have been pulled over twice in the 14 years since I moved back to Texas, both by DPS officers, and both were verbal warnings.

It wouldn't stop me from buying a car with one installed.

Dimitri318

Established Member
Soooo you doing anything with that spare bumper then lol?? South Carolina doesn't require front plates and mine came with one. It honestly doesn't bother me that much except I just feel its an eye sore down here since you don't see them around much.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
In a nice car drilling holes in the front bumper just sucks. Luckily SC you don't need one. My daily (Ford Explorer) has a front which doesn't bother me but on the cobra yes. IF you have to have one make a bracket and don't drill the front bumper.

Venom351R

Established Member
When I’m ready to buy a Cobra I’d take one with no front plate over one with one. My state requires a front plate but screw that and it won’t be a daily driver anyway.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can understand some potential buyers living in a state that doesn't require or enforce a front plate frowning on a Terminator for sale that has the drilled holes. But if a car is nice enough otherwise (mileage, condition, mods, etc.) then they'll go through with the buy and plug the holes. If a Terminator doesn't have the holes drilled, that's a definite plus in most cases. But it shouldn't be deal killer if the car is exceptional otherwise, like I said. CT doesn't enforce the front plate law, but does require front plates, so most dealers don't want to NOT install the front plate. I didn't want the front plate on my G70, but the bumper was drilled by the dealer and the front plate mounted. Within a week I removed the front plate. I don't really notice the drilled (2) holes.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Yes, I hate them. When I bought my CO the dealer removed it. Filled in the holes and resprayed that part. Can’t even tell it ever had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPLouis

Established Member
Soooo you doing anything with that spare bumper then lol?? South Carolina doesn't require front plates and mine came with one. It honestly doesn't bother me that much except I just feel its an eye sore down here since you don't see them around much.

I'm going to hold onto it. I was going to install it but it's better if it just sits in my basement. If I ever sell, it could be a benefit to the future buyer, especially seeing how so many people don't like holes in their bumper.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
This "issue" was addressed over ten years ago....."no-drill" front plate brackets for 99-04 cars have been available for a long time on svtperformance. When I bought this car from 04sleeper....he already had the bracket and I've kept it ever since. Although I rarely run with it mounted....I have a couple of times and it works fantastic. Very stable even up to 140, no bouncing at speed and no marks later.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I'm in NY and got lucky I guess since my bumper was never drilled.

I use the no drill bracket for my front plate and I hate it. It totally ruins the look of the front of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread