Does E85 help reduce heat soak?

staffcurtis

Established Member
I have a 2007 GT500, and have considered going the E85 route. One of the problems our cars have is heat soak, so I considered getting an aftermarket heat exchanger with fans. Should I use that $800 instead toward my E85 conversion? I hear that E85 lowers combustion temps, and timing is less likely to be pulled due to higher IAT's. I do plan on running a TVS 2.3 with LT's down the road.

Any help would be awesome!

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
No it does not. Heat soak is all blower heat and nothing to do with combustion temps.

gt347mustang

Established Member
In a way, yes.

E85 lowers combustion temps, and is more resistant to high air intake temperatures.

You need a tune that takes into account using e85; meaning the tune throws more timiing at the engine even with high air inlet temps.

I would suggest both mods in any order you want.

Last edited:

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
Leave the heat exchanger in place. do not remove it. E85 does lower combustion temps but has no affect on iats. When my IC pump acts up and quits working I will see 180+ iat2 and the car gets sluggish. Best to still have the heat exchanger in place. If you want to delete the heat exchanger get yourself a killer chiller and never worry about heat soak again as long as your a/c works.

specizripn

Established Member
Leave the heat exchanger in place. do not remove it. E85 does lower combustion temps but has no affect on iats. When my IC pump acts up and quits working I will see 180+ iat2 and the car gets sluggish. Best to still have the heat exchanger in place. If you want to delete the heat exchanger get yourself a killer chiller and never worry about heat soak again as long as your a/c works.

I don't think he meant getting rid of the stock one, I think he meant not needing to upgrade the stock one. Could be wrong though :shrug:

Ford2ner

Established Member
Yeah i wouldnt waste the money going with an aftermarket heat exchanger. Killer chiller and a big 4-5 gal intercooler reservoir and you'll never look back.

Jagplay

Established Member
What ever you run the aftermarket heat exchanger will help big time. E85 runs really cool but having that extra cooling always helps. Steeda makes a 3 core that is better,cheaper and 3 core than the AFCO. Once you see the size differance you will ask yourself why didnt they do this stock.
The Super Snakes have the bigger heat exchanger and the bigger pump.

Users who are viewing this thread