Does clutch TSB fix balky 1-2 shift?

WA 2 FST

Established Member
My car has 1200 miles on it, and it is not abused. No track time, and I do not powershift (right foot planted on upshift is my definition). However, when I'm driving aggressively I shift quickly and have been driving stick cars for upwards of 25 years. 2-3 and 3-4 are fine. I can nail these very fast with just a blip of the clutch pedal/off-the-throttle and at high rpms.

But on the 1-2, if I do not literally take a full 1/2 second, it will not go into gear on a high rpm upshift. It is ridiculous. I assume this is b/c of "clutch drag" not fully disengaging the clutch when I clutch-in under high rpm loads. Only does it on 1-2.

Will the TSB correct this? My car was built in 8/08 (edited), but I believe it was before the "fix."

TIA.

Last edited:

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Do you mean 8/08? If so, you may have just missed the upgrade. My car was built in 07/08 and I had the TSB done at around 3000k late last year. Even with that, a couple days earlier this year, I had the car out for some spirited driving, and with several high rpm 1-2 shifts I had some grinding and once it wouldn't go into second. I've done several things since then, and I couldn't tell you which one(s) may have helped me, but I have not had a single problem shifting since, even at high rpms. This is what I did. Installed a line lock and completely bled the brakes. The linelock has nothing to do with it, but remember, the clutch slave is part of this system. I changed the transmission fluid with OEM fluid. I installed the Shelby shifter (highly recommended). And lastly, everytime I take the car out, I depress the clutch about a dozen times to ensure there is no air in that part of the system. I also drive and go through the gears at least once before getting on it.

G/L

Mike

alloy500

Established Member
The 1-2 shift was the only "symtom" of the TSB that mine was showing (5/8 build), but it bugged me enough to have the TSB done. Had 12k miles before the TSB, after the TSB, the 1-2 shift feels normal, no hang up at any RPM. I have 8k miles post TSB and all is still good, pedal feel is a bit lighter after TSB for me. Also had the SPP shifter installed during the TSB, I highly recomend the SPP shifter.

Last edited:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
I have an FRPP shifter... better than stock, maybe not the best, but that's a personal, subjective opinion. I always make sure the car (and subsequently the fluids) are all warmed up before hitting the gas hard or rowing aggressively through the gears. Haven't thought about bleeding the system.

This is the only symptom I have. Again, I don't normally hammer it that hard in 1st gear... usually roll-ons in 2nd, but it does bug me, and it would cost me big-time if I was "racing" someone b/c I would have to make sure I take my time on the high-rpm upshift or it will grind/not go into 2nd if I am trying to be really, really quick.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Well mine got worse on the 1-2 after the TSB

Ok, so please give me some advice on how to aggressively shift this thing? I won't take offense, even if it is something incredibly basic. :-D

I don't do it often, but as I get more comfortable with this car, I'd like to at least represent the breed well when I need to. ;-)

Last edited:

2001snakin

Established Member
i had my tsb done 8 months ago about 1 month ago it started to get stiff from 1st to 2nd gear. I took it to bill kay ford a dealer ship sponsered by ford racing i had a gt500 tech drive it and pull out the tranny to look at the clutch he said every thing is normal and that it is the shifters they get shitty after 15000 miles so i just ordered a pro 5.0 hope it fixes the problem.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
My car has 1200 miles on it, and it is not abused. No track time, and I do not powershift (right foot planted on upshift is my definition). However, when I'm driving aggressively I shift quickly and have been driving stick cars for upwards of 25 years. 2-3 and 3-4 are fine. I can nail these very fast with just a blip of the clutch pedal/off-the-throttle and at high rpms.

But on the 1-2, if I do not literally take a full 1/2 second, it will not go into gear on a high rpm upshift. It is ridiculous. I assume this is b/c of "clutch drag" not fully disengaging the clutch when I clutch-in under high rpm loads. Only does it on 1-2.

Will the TSB correct this? My car was built in 8/08 (edited), but I believe it was before the "fix."

TIA.

my little issue went away with the Shelby shifter:beer:

damon94

Established Member
mine got worse after the tsb also. im currently looking at getting an aftermarket shifter to try and fix it. i took it back to the dealership that did my tsb and they pulled everything and said it looked normal also.

chuckstang

Established Member
Oh great, not what I was hoping

my 1-2 always feels cruncy, not ncessarily a grind but never a smooth pass, always feels like it bumps something on the way in.

What is this bump you feel?

Dont get it in any other gear?

It slows you down and feels bad to the touch and you can hear a slight crunch as well.

Oh and I do not notice it on the 3-2 downshift, only up shift so what gives?

damon94

Established Member

my 1-2 always feels cruncy, not ncessarily a grind but never a smooth pass, always feels like it bumps something on the way in.

It slows you down and feels bad to the touch and you can hear a slight crunch as well.

mine does the exact same thing to the letter. dealer said it was fine(which im sure is bullshit). anyone have any ideas about this?

WA 2 FST

Established Member

Mine doesn't grind every time, but if I'm trying a lightning-quick shift at 6500rpm (I have an aftermarket tune, so my rev-limiter is raised) then it typically does grind...and sometimes just misses altogether. If I short-shift at ~4500-5000rpm, it isn't as bad. It is definitely rpm/load related.

Mine also does not do this in any other gear... only on the 1-2 upshift.

Mine also never feels like I get a perfectly "clean" shift, even when I'm just driving it easy. It was like that the first day I picked it up new.

Sounds like we have the same issues.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Man, I had this problem BAD prior to getting the TSB done. One of the main reasons for going in for it. After the TSB, 1-2 shift is a dream no matter how quick/what rpm.

Just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread