Does anyone use the Verizon Edge upgrade?

Fuerza

Established Member
So my iPhone 5 is dying. The power switch doesn't work all the time and the battery is dying. This was diagnosed by Apple tech support. My options are to repair the phone at about $100-$150 bucks, it's out of warranty. Or I could switch to a different phone using Verizon Edge upgrade. It's my understanding with Edge upgrade you basically pay for the phone over a 2 year span with the option to upgrade again in 12 months. With edge upgrades you have to turn in the phone after every upgrade. So it's basically a lease on the device. What are everyone's thoughts on the new upgrade options?

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I am not sure about the plan, but it is easy to throw a new battery in it and they are wicked cheap. That may solve all your issues.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
You dont have to turn in the phone in 12 months, you can do it in 6 months as long as half of the phone has been paid off by then. Its another way of paying off a $700 phone in a 2 year span instead of shelling out a credit card or getting credit to do it. If you have unlimited, you get the Edge Max which gives you 6GB instead of the usual 2GB, still lose the unlimited though. No upgrade fee's either.

There's another way as well to get a new phone and keep the unlimited. Verizon Corp store's gives you credit to be paid in one year. You can upgrade to a new phone anytime and keep the unlimited, con is you pay it off monthly for one year plus $2 of interest every month.

Fuerza

Established Member
I don't have unlimited data. I barely use my 4GB data plan. Looking at a few websites Edge upgrade is a horrible deal unless you continue to upgrade after every 12 months. For example if I pay the $27 per month I'll be paying $324 about half the price of a new iPhone 5s. I turn in the upgraded phone for a new one but then the cycle continues. Also after going to the store the sales rep told me I have to pay sales tax on the entire new phone so that right there is $55 bucks just to start. Plus the loss of my iPhone 5 which will eventually be a paper weight once the battery dies, no big loss there. Lol

BlueSnake01

Established Member
It really is aimed for people who like to get new phones every year but dont have the money to pay for it. Its not bad of a deal if you do that.
Its no different than getting a brand new phone right now and selling it for the following year for a newer phone. The difference is that you pay monthly instead of altogether. A new phone always loses its value to about 50% in a year, so its pretty similar.

Taxes is unavoidable almost everywhere unless you buy it used.

If you upgrade every 2 years, just keep it that way.

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
Yeah I need to just suck it up. Apple store is going to quote me a repair this afternoon. Mom and pop shops are saying 100-150 for a fix. I just don't trust the work of mom and pop shops.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
If you have insurance, you're better off paying $150 for it. Sell the phone for $100+ for spare parts.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Yeah I need to just suck it up. Apple store is going to quote me a repair this afternoon. Mom and pop shops are saying 100-150 for a fix. I just don't trust the work of mom and pop shops.

An out of warrantee iPhone 5 is $149 replacement at the apple store. They give you a new phone and take your old one. My mom dropped her 5 in the toilet a few months ago and did not have apple care. Better deal than fixing since you get a new phone out of it instead of just a new battery for the same price. And no impact on your commitments with your carrier.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
An out of warrantee iPhone 5 is $149 replacement at the apple store. They give you a new phone and take your old one. My mom dropped her 5 in the toilet a few months ago and did not have apple care. Better deal than fixing since you get a new phone out of it instead of just a new battery for the same price. And no impact on your commitments with your carrier.

Really? I had never heard of that policy before. I know they have a $149. screen replacement policy, but I've never heard of a general replacement for any phone issue. If that is indeed a new Apple policy, it's very good.

Fuerza

Established Member

They offered an iPhone 5 with a 90 day warranty for some like $100 less than a iPhone 5c at full retail.

I just bought a iPhone 5s full retail. I didn't want to deal with Verizon weird upgrade system. I gave Apple store my semi broken iPhone 5 got a $200 discount on trade in then paid the rest in cash. I can upgrade with Verizon next year for the typical$199 when the next generation iPhone comes out then sell my 5s for a decent price.

Users who are viewing this thread