Does anyone use the BR7 plugs?

KidMoney

Established Member
I have TR6's now gapped at 25 and it's breaking up in the top of third and fourth. I har a friend recommend the BR7. Anyone else have this issue or use thst plug? Thanks.

rlhay2

Established Member
I have used the BR7s before and they worked well. The idle was not exactly "smooth" but they worked.

I have the TR6s now and used them up to 26psi, without any issues.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
how much boost do you see and what fuel are you using?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
BR7 is a really good plug to help with spark blow out an there about the same price as the tr6.

KidMoney

Established Member
how much boost do you see and what fuel are you using?

I don't have a boost gauge, but I'd say about 20#'s. I run Speedway 93 in it. Right noe I have TR6's gapped at 25 but it breaks up pretty bad. Sometimes it's fine. It's an annoying issue.

Blackmax

Established Member
I just switched to BR7 EF and the idle is a touch rougher (like I care) but held up well to 20lbs and cheap enough to replace each time out to the track.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
20 psi? on 93?

.025 should be fine for 20 psi, however TR6 would not be the best choice IMO, the BR7s would be better, IMO TR6 are good til 16-17 on gasoline.

FWIW - I run the TR6 @ 20-21 psi on E85 gapped at .028 (iirc) without issue.

Blackmax

Established Member
20 psi? on 93?

.025 should be fine for 20 psi, however TR6 would not be the best choice IMO, the BR7s would be better, IMO TR6 are good til 16-17 on gasoline.

FWIW - I run the TR6 @ 20-21 psi on E85 gapped at .028 (iirc) without issue.

I run 19-20 psi on 94 mixed 50/50 with 109

KidMoney

Established Member
I just switched to BR7 EF and the idle is a touch rougher (like I care) but held up well to 20lbs and cheap enough to replace each time out to the track.

Thanks. I'm gonna try them out tonight. I'll report back with results.

KidMoney

Established Member
Octane Baby!! You need octane! 20 PSI is too much on 93 pump gas regardless of what plug you are running.

Not really an option at this point. Lol. I've got some 100 octane close, but I don't think that's why it's breaking up.

Oh, and I got that T stat and those TR6's. Thanks!

IA Shelby

Established Member
Not really an option at this point. Lol. I've got some 100 octane close, but I don't think that's why it's breaking up.

Oh, and I got that T stat and those TR6's. Thanks!

Listen to Van!

Read the BMC (broken motor club) thread from 1 1/2 years ago. You have options and running 20 psi on 93 octane is not a good one.

lawdude

Established Member
21psi, using BR7EF at .028. Car was tuned with them. Smooth all the way to the top. With high boost and C16 once a month I always keep a couple of sets ready to go.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
20 pounds here on TR6's gapped at .030 and 93 octane. No issues at all.

Last edited:

KidMoney

Established Member
Listen to Van!

Read the BMC (broken motor club) thread from 1 1/2 years ago. You have options and running 20 psi on 93 octane is not a good one.

I know he knows what he's talking about. But the car is a daily driver. It has to have a 93 tune. I don't believe octane is causing this issue. I understand the point he is making though. When I race it I'll run the 100 octane or some Torco.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I know he knows what he's talking about. But the car is a daily driver. It has to have a 93 tune. I don't believe octane is causing this issue. I understand the point he is making though. When I race it I'll run the 100 octane or some Torco.

Why don't you get two tunes?

One for DD and a race tune.

KidMoney

Established Member
Why don't you get two tunes?

One for DD and a race tune.

I can't get a good motor tune yet. Lol. It's a lot of hassle and I drive the car a lot. The leaded race gas would be bad. Good unleaded gas is hard to get. Kind of a catch 22 situation.

JimIII@jdm

We use the NGK TR6 model plug in our Super Cobra Jet and many of our Super Cobra Jet customers like Roy Hill who has two that make over 1000 RWHP. We tested other plugs from NGK and Autolite and have had the best luck with the TR6's.

I'd check the coil on plugs, maybe they got moisture damage somehow and are causing this misfire under full throttle. The stock coils shouldn't be an issue but are prone to this. We use the same stock coils on these Cobra jets as well. I would also data log fuel pump duty cycle make sure its a spark issue and not fuel delivery.

The BR7 is a good plug, but really cold and is going to cause a rough idle and may foul out quickly from normal street driving. The BR7 is better used in a race application with high octane full or consistent WOT runs. But then again look at what we are doing on the TR6's!

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
Are you sure it's ignition related? I see you have ID1000's, but I don't see a BAP or upgraded pumps. When I had a fuel delivery problem several weeks ago, my car would break up in higher rpm's too. You may want to log pump duty cycle just to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread