Does anyone know where to rent a trailer from that isn't U-Haul, Penske, or Budget?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
About $60, I've rented them enough that I could have just bought a decent 18' hauler by now.
Awesome thanks. That's cheap enough, takes the worrying about driving it there.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I have the same truck as your buddy down to the color. IMO towing that trailer a long distance is asking a lot from the truck. It'll do it but be ready to go slow and listen to the engine sit at 3500 plus rpm for hours will get old. Renting a full size truck will make the trip more enjoyable.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Enterprise rents Dodge 2500's and 3500's. Makes towing a car a breeze.
You havent lived until you try driving a classic muscle car from Albuquerque to Tucson. Said muscle car needs total restoration, 4 speed no overdrive with 4.11s in the rear. All while snapping the pushrods on cylinders 2 and 4 and not realizing what happened.... Oh and earlier in the day the rear glass lifted up and off the car on the freeway and had no idea anything happened because the damn thing was so LOUD trying to do 55 in 4th with said 4.11s...

Then you find out that when it gets dark you have 1 headlight and 1 tail light trying to cut across from I-25 to Deming New Mexico through literally the Hills Have Eyes country.

Then having to get a motel room because you were tired from white knuckling it and it was unsafe to keep pushing the car that night.

Then I had a rude awakening because I had to rent a uhaul. This was because the Muncie M21 got jammed between 1st and 2nd trying to leave that shithole the next morning. The best part was Uhaul only had fullsize moving trucks to pull the trailer because thats all Deming New Mexico had that morning....

I got the car trailering T-shirt, hat, fan club membership and VIP package on that one!

Last edited:

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I have the same truck as your buddy down to the color. IMO towing that trailer a long distance is asking a lot from the truck. It'll do it but be ready to go slow and listen to the engine sit at 3500 plus rpm for hours will get old. Renting a full size truck will make the trip more enjoyable.

I'll definitely consider it. It's too bad, we both agreed and wished he still had his 93' F250 Powerstroke that he sold maybe a year and a half ago. That truck was mint with only 77k miles and in a stick, but at the time he lived at an apartment and just bought a used 911, so there was no room for it, and not a great DD for work. He went ahead and sold the F250 and eventually the 911 later that year before moving to his house where he now has room for his 86' and Tundra which is much smaller obviously than an F250.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Fly down and rent a better suited truck and trailer and tow it back, flights to Fl are cheap and that drive from Md to Florida sucks.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Fly down and rent a better suited truck and trailer and tow it back, flights to Fl are cheap and that drive from Md to Florida sucks.

I have thought of this as well and thought the same thing. Flying down, looking at the car in person, renting a truck + trailer and driving it back. I also thought about flying down there, and then buying the car, getting the title, and hiring a company to trailer back to my home. I'm unfamiliar with what transport companies charge now, but my father sold his 89' LX in the early 2000s, ironically to Florida to a buyer and the cost was $500. I'm sure it has gone up over this amount of time, but that option would definitely save me the trip of driving it back. Plus I will only have Saturday and Sunday to make the trip and come back. I can't afford to take anymore time off work since I took 2 months off work earlier this year when I totaled my WRX and fractured my sternum.

The seller has been willing to work with me and let me put a deposit down on the car and pull it off the market and place it back in his garage until I can see it in person and said he will refund me the $400 if it turns out I decide not to buy the car and keep the $100 for taking the car off the listing and having to post the car again since he posted it on a classic car site and it cost him money to post it on the website. I won't be able to go down there for about 3 weeks. Luckily it would only cost me $43.75/month according the the insurance quote from Hagerty which is the company my buddy uses to insure his 86' and says he pays around $50 a month which is in line for the quote I received.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Its fine. This is my truck from yesterday, drove to Summit Point and back without issue which was well over 100 miles. Truck is leveled in the front 1.3" and in the rear i have the Sumo Springs bump stops which ride great. Worth the price and very easy install. Transmission didn't go over 195F for the entire trip and i got 20.6mpg over the 100+ mile trip.
The U-haul trailers are extremely nice for the rental price though and since i have no place to store a trailer its easy to pick it up about 10 min from my house and not have to worry about anything. If anything happens, i use their $6/day insurance, so its on them.
IMG_8327.JPG

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I have thought of this as well and thought the same thing. Flying down, looking at the car in person, renting a truck + trailer and driving it back. I also thought about flying down there, and then buying the car, getting the title, and hiring a company to trailer back to my home. I'm unfamiliar with what transport companies charge now, but my father sold his 89' LX in the early 2000s, ironically to Florida to a buyer and the cost was $500. I'm sure it has gone up over this amount of time, but that option would definitely save me the trip of driving it back. Plus I will only have Saturday and Sunday to make the trip and come back. I can't afford to take anymore time off work since I took 2 months off work earlier this year when I totaled my WRX and fractured my sternum.

The seller has been willing to work with me and let me put a deposit down on the car and pull it off the market and place it back in his garage until I can see it in person and said he will refund me the $400 if it turns out I decide not to buy the car and keep the $100 for taking the car off the listing and having to post the car again since he posted it on a classic car site and it cost him money to post it on the website. I won't be able to go down there for about 3 weeks. Luckily it would only cost me $43.75/month according the the insurance quote from Hagerty which is the company my buddy uses to insure his 86' and says he pays around $50 a month which is in line for the quote I received.

My next question was going to be about shipping the car, had my Saleen shipped from Oregon to Md last year for $1600. Also, that insurance quote seems high, I have 86-0177 insured through Hagerty for $20K and i'm at $350 a year.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
My next question was going to be about shipping the car, had my Saleen shipped from Oregon to Md last year for $1600. Also, that insurance quote seems high, I have 86-0177 insured through Hagerty for $20K and i'm at $350 a year.

I'm not sure. My friend is the same age I am, 32. So that might have something to do with it. I have a clean driving record with no points and no moving violations for years, but I have had accidents in the past. The only thing I can think of is my age plus the zip code of where I live may result in the higher insurance price. Since my friend has the exact same insurance company and exact same car, the price seems accurate.

As for shipping the car, that is exactly what I just decided to do.

I have already checked round trip airline tickets and it is only $243 to the airport the seller told me was only 20 min. from his house instead of the other airport I was planning to go to in Florida. I checked with a few car transport companies and it costs anywhere from $550-$625 to my address. This is the best option as it will save me the most amount of time so I can get back home in time to get to work the next day. Plus driving 12 1/2 hours one way and then driving back in the matter of 2 days is going to be quite tiresome. Both the plane ticket and shipping the car is cheaper during the first week of December or second week. One of the shipping companies I spoke with told me they do have a surcharge around Thanksgiving and the airline charges nearly double for tickets from now until the end of November. Once December hits, the price of a round trip ticket is about half the price.

Once I get the car in my possession at my house, i'll gladly post some pictures for everyone.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm not sure. My friend is the same age I am, 32. So that might have something to do with it. I have a clean driving record with no points and no moving violations for years, but I have had accidents in the past. The only thing I can think of is my age plus the zip code of where I live may result in the higher insurance price. Since my friend has the exact same insurance company and exact same car, the price seems accurate.

As for shipping the car, that is exactly what I just decided to do.

I have already checked round trip airline tickets and it is only $243 to the airport the seller told me was only 20 min. from his house instead of the other airport I was planning to go to in Florida. I checked with a few car transport companies and it costs anywhere from $550-$625 to my address. This is the best option as it will save me the most amount of time so I can get back home in time to get to work the next day. Plus driving 12 1/2 hours one way and then driving back in the matter of 2 days is going to be quite tiresome. Both the plane ticket and shipping the car is cheaper during the first week of December or second week. One of the shipping companies I spoke with told me they do have a surcharge around Thanksgiving and the airline charges nearly double for tickets from now until the end of November. Once December hits, the price of a round trip ticket is about half the price.

Once I get the car in my possession at my house, i'll gladly post some pictures for everyone.

I'm sure age and location play a part, i'm 47 with a clean driving record in a fairly rural area. What's the guaranteed value of coverage for yours and your friends cars? I would have thought lower than what I have, I feel even my Saleen may be a little over insured at $20K.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I'm sure age and location play a part, i'm 47 with a clean driving record in a fairly rural area. What's the guaranteed value of coverage for yours and your friends cars? I would have thought lower than what I have, I feel even my Saleen may be a little over insured at $20K.

No idea what my friend's car is insured for, but I only insured my (potential) car for $8000. I was able to get a new figure from Hagerty and quoted $480/year or $40/month as long I as pay the the $480 up front up and it would allow my parent's on my policy. Not that my mother would dare touch the car as she hates Mustangs or anything loud. My father on the other hand would love to drive it, but honestly, probably only a few times.

velocicaur

Established Member
Many of the places that rent small/heavy equipment have car trailers - skid steers, little tractors, power washers, etc.

There are a few local trailer dealers that offer rentals as well - check a few local ones and see if they offer it.

Craigslist?

Users who are viewing this thread