Does anyone here fly RC planes?

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Ive had this thing sitting in my house for years now. Hobbico SuperStar 40 ARF

Damn near forgot about it till my brothers friend mentioned he flies them. Now ive got the urge to learn and fly. Ive never flown before so I was wondering if someone has any general tips/suggestions?

7.62x51

Established Member
ha, my brother bought me an RC airplane on Christmas. It was in pieces by the end of the day.

I can see why they have such a following, though. It was fun while it lasted

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
ha, my brother bought me an RC airplane on Christmas. It was in pieces by the end of the day.

I can see why they have such a following, though. It was fun while it lasted

Damn, that sucks! Yeah it looks like something fun to do. Howd you crash it?

Driver500

Established Member
Putting together a Bixler now. I picked up autopilot software from 3d robotics. End goal is a drone that can carry a go pro.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I used to fly rc gliders, unsuccessfully I might add, sucked ass to spend weeks building them out of balsa/epoxy to only destroy them in minutes. When ARF planes improved, I then moved on to gas powered planes with a lot more success... a trainer like that should be fairly forgiving. You might check out some of the RC sim software, you can pickup the basics before you invest in a plane and all of the ancillary gear that goes with it. The plane is the cheap part, its the engine, 4 chan radio/servos and all the misc items will add up quickly...

RC flight sim, there are others, this is just to give you an idea...
Amazon.com: Phoenix R/C Pro Simulator V4.0 w/DX5e: Toys & Games

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I fly helis, and it really helps a lot to learn on a training simulator like "Real Flight" or similar which comes w/a radio control that you plug into your computer. That said, I didn't and it cost me big bucks replacing parts and even whole heli kits.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
i got a Ayres L370 (or something like that for christmas), Pretty basic little trainer. I now have managed a whopping 1-2 minutes of flight time on about 15 props.....

Damn things are hard to land. I can get it airborn no problem and even fly it around decently. My problem is I'm having to land in a pasture and it's not going well. Keeps nosing over and breaking props (might be coming in too hot)....

I don't have quite enough room to really glide in for landings so getting them lined up is proving to be tricky.....

And some mean spirited person keeps planting trees in my way...:)

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I destroyed every single one Until I bought a parrot AR 2.0

Then I was a pro. You have to try and wreck that thing.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Several of my buddies used to crash RC planes. I was always safely on the ground with my trucks though.

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been flying for 7 years. I will be glad to give some tips.

If you have never flown RC and dont want to shell out the money for a simulator, grab some Air Hogs at Target...or wherever. Fly them (when there is NO wind) in your yard, driveway...etc. This will help your mind wrap around what controls to give when flying away vs coming at you. Thats a good start.

PM me if you want help picking out a good transmitter, plane & or combos.

This was up the road at fly-in. The Joe Nall - Greenville SC.

[youtube_browser]S8j8FiC64Uo[/youtube_browser]

7.62x51

Established Member
Damn, that sucks! Yeah it looks like something fun to do. Howd you crash it?

I think the rudder trim was off or something, plus the battery was dying.

I gave it full throttle, and it just wouldn't quite take off - it finally started to lift, and as soon as it started climbing, it shot to the right and went into the neighbors garage and knocked over some paintings they had stacked in there lol. pieces were everywhere. my wife started screaming...chaos

Blackness03

Established Member
I bought a supercub off craigslist for $100. crashed it alot but parts were cheap. Last crash was a WOT nosedive into the pavement.

That was all she wrote

Users who are viewing this thread