Does anybody really know--Preditor & warranty

DPS

Established Member
I've seen it posted both ways, but I wondered if anybody really knows weather or not ford can tell that you flashed with the preditor after returning to the stock program. I really don't want to risk voiding the warrenty,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yet. I have a K&N CAI and Magna flow exhaust that my dealer is O.K. with.

:shrug:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Keep posting topics like this in public and Ford will surely place efforts towards a discovery process...

DPS

Established Member
Sorry, didn't mean to cause trouble. Guess I just didn't think about that.:bash:

n0xlf

Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
Keep posting topics like this in public and Ford will surely place efforts towards a discovery process...

Yes, if it wasn't for this post, Ford surely would never have known about the Predator... :lol:

Now you've done it.... :)

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
I had what was for me a "peak experience" a few months back when I broke the mental chains of warranty concerns and decided to find the most mod friendly dealer in my area for service, mod my car any way that I choose and let the chips fall where they may.

To me if the mod is worth doing at all, it is worth whatever risk. Sure it's a gamble. But I bought this car for sheer driving pleasure and I can't see limiting anything about my enjoyment of the car out of fears that Ford may not honor my claim. I will cross that bridge when I get there, if ever. Just to test myself (and get a full refund) I requested and received a refund on my top of the line Premium 72 month 100,000 mile ESP. I have no qualms.

Last edited:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Do any mod with your eyes open that if it can be proved that the mod caused, or assisted, in the failure - it will not be covered. I will keep my extended warranty, just in case my lumbar support fails again or something like that ;-)

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
As I understand it, there is a code that gets wiped out when you reflash using the Predator. Then, even if you reload the stock program, that particular code is still missing. So yes, they could tell. Personally, I wouldn't buy one with that intent anyways. I will take responsibility for any mods I make that may break something. If one wants to be treated fairly, then I think one has an obligation to do the same in return. That's how I look at it, anyway.

lguerra1

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
As I understand it, there is a code that gets wiped out when you reflash using the Predator. Then, even if you reload the stock program, that particular code is still missing. So yes, they could tell. Personally, I wouldn't buy one with that intent anyways. I will take responsibility for any mods I make that may break something. If one wants to be treated fairly, then I think one has an obligation to do the same in return. That's how I look at it, anyway.

You are completely correct.

DPS

Established Member
Thanks guy's. I appreciate the input. For now, I will just use it as a monitoring device. I agree with what some people have stated here, "you have to pay to play". It's only about one more month until it gets stored for winter anyway.:(

BOOOOST

Established Member
As I understand it, there is a code that gets wiped out when you reflash using the Predator. Then, even if you reload the stock program, that particular code is still missing. So yes, they could tell.

That is completely NOT true.

There isn't any "code" that gets wiped out. There is a "flash" date that shows date of last reflash, but that does not give any legality to Ford, as anyone can own a Ford NGS tool, or go to any small repair shop with one, and there is nothing illegal with reflashing your pcm.

lethal

Established Member
I am of the mindset that I will "pay to play". Ford can tell when the computer was reflashed... if Ford wants to, they can choose not to honor someones warranty on specific repairs if a failure is the direct result of a modification. They are supposed to prove it, but since they are the ones who are going to repair it, they can drag their feet all they like. You can do anything you want to your car, just as any car manufacturer can choose not to repair something due to the car being used in a fashion other then stock.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Well...that's how it was explained to me. I'm not going to argue with anyone about it, since I can only go by what I have been told. Besides, the bigger issue here is about honesty and integrity. I choose not to try to defraud Ford. It's that simple. So for me, it's really a moot point. But please, by all means, argue on!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by DPS
Sorry, didn't mean to cause trouble. Guess I just didn't think about that.:bash:
Don't sweat it. Believe me, Ford already knows about the Predator. Posts here certainly won't be any weighing factor. LOL!
I look at it this way, ANY engine mod could be a potential issue. You add mods and you should be willing to accept the potential consequences. I passed the gray area a long time ago. I accept the risk. Buy and and use Predator and be willing to accept the risk as well. That's the way I see it.
:dw:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well...that's how it was explained to me. I'm not going to argue with anyone about it, since I can only go by what I have been told. Besides, the bigger issue here is about honesty and integrity. I choose not to try to defraud Ford. It's that simple. So for me, it's really a moot point. But please, by all means, argue on!
By the way, I like your attitude and I share it of course. Now let's play! :burnout:

jtfx6552

Established Member
I agree, I have no interest in defrauding Ford.

However, it seem that ford has no such compunction, to wit, the voiding of a warranty for tread depth, phantom red spots on plugs, etc.

My car has had a slight vibe from day 1, I worked on it, but I think without an EVA tester, I won't be able to eliminate it. Now, with the current state of affairs, it looks like i would have to spend a lot of money R and R'ing parts to get the vibe fixed. How is that right?

JT

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member

Good attitude and principles to live by, that attitude keeps our Karma polished as a fringe benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread