Dodged a $62,000 Bullet Today Thanks to my SgtMaj

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
Dodged a $31,00 Bullet Today Thanks to my SgtMaj

*Remember I'm a Marine* Ok, Ill try to keep this as short as possible. Way back in 2006, I was going thru a divorce and living out in town. Once the divorce was final, I applied for BAH (basic allowance for housing) own right. Meaning, that since I was now single and didn't technically rate BAH, I had to apply for it. Back then I was a young Corporal. My S-1 shop merely told me that my package had been approved and i would start receiving my BAH. Cool, awesome, so I went on about my business, living out in town for the past 6 years.

Well, today I get phone call from IPAC saying there is a discrepancy with my pay. Further into the conversation, I find out that the original package for BAH was to terminate on Oct 31 2006 <--- This I was not aware of. I never stopped getting the BAH pay, so I was told I would owe the government 3 years worth of BAH, roughly $31,000!! I was at a loss for words at this point in time.

This information quickly ran up the chain of command and soon I was standing tall in front of the SgtMaj. Luckily the SgtMaj likes me pretty well and Im a squared away Marine. He made a few phone calls and soon the problem was resolved. A friend of his who works in the right place is gonna take care of the paperwork for my BAH. I am very thankful to have an awesome ass SgtMaj that takes care of his troops. :beer:

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad to hear they got it worked out for you. If it was up to me, no enlisted individual would pay a dime for housing.

Jim Snover

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
Im glad it got taken cared of bro.
You and me both brother! :beer:

:beer:Awesome! Love to hear about REAL SgtMaj's and Chief's and not just E-9s
Yep, this SgtMaj is a motivator for sure

Glad to hear they got it worked out for you. If it was up to me, no enlisted individual would pay a dime for housing.

Jim Snover
Thanks buddy

Wow, buy a lottery ticket!

That could have gone very wrong for you! HA HA
I just might buy me a lotto ticket. Yes, that could have gone very wrong!

Your Friday the 13th worked out pretty well!
The night is not over, lol

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
I fixed the original post, not sure where I got the 6 year thing, must have been from the 2006 date, idk. It was only 3yrs from 2006 to 2009 and roughly $31,000.

NXSVTCOBRA

what rank are you? I know in some units in the Army single E-5's are allowed to live off post. Some E-4's can too (If approved by the Battalion Commander). It's not like that in the Marines?

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
Yeah, just depends on the command. Sgt's and below have to submit packages and the barracks has to be over a certain occupancy rating. There are some situations like mine, where I had a household and ended up getting a divorce. By the way, Im a Sgt.

NXSVTCOBRA

Yeah, just depends on the command. Sgt's and below have to submit packages and the barracks has to be over a certain occupancy rating. There are some situations like mine, where I had a household and ended up getting a divorce. By the way, Im a Sgt.

yeah that's about the same story for the Army.

stangliter04

Established Member
Same thing happened to my brother on a deployment... His divorce went through but he didn't know about it so they continued to pay him BAH/Seperation pay for 8 months. Glad everything worked out for ya! When I was in we didn't get paid enough as it is.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Just wait till you get out, they will find some way of sending you a bill. They sent my buddy a bill for 3k almost 3 years after he had ETS'd from the Corps for travel money.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Well, If you were in my old unit in the Army, you would probably get screwed over by our old Smaj. He was a bitch that never stood up for soldiers.

Glad there's some cool mofo's higher in the ranks.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Even if you were a shit bag I doubt that you would get stuck with the bill. I wouldnt let that happen to any one of my soldiers if I had the power to stop it, not matter how much of a jack ass he is. After all its not your fault the paper work didnt get processed the right way, not your MOS. Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
glad to hear it worked out for ya! More than often than not you get ****ed over in those situations....

Wish I could get me some BAH, **** barracks life!

Users who are viewing this thread