Dodge Charger & the Hemi?

Rochard

Established Member
This past weekend I drove my Cobra down into Mexico. (Pix and details to follow in the morning.)

Someone I'll loosely call a "friend" drove his Dodge Charger down and was pretty confident his car was faster than mine. I don't usually have such discussions with my friends because most of my friends cars would stomp my Cobra. However, he was pretty much a dick about it. He wanted to race and I was just like "whatever". The next day we were in a little convoy heading out to dinner. We had about ten cars going loaded with people, and we all had walkie talkies. He challenged me and we raced from a rolling start. I ended up pulling away from him so quickly that it was comical. What was even better was that this happened in front of forty of our friends / business associates.

I did a quick search on stats and I'm seeing his 5.7 Hemi having about 320 Horsepower, with a 0-60 in the 6.0 second range? Does this sound correct? Can anyone confirm this before I mock him on a board we both post on?

Also, wasn't there some discussion about how the new "Hemi" really isn't a "Hemi", but more like a totally different engine they called a "Hemi" to make old people buy the car?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The heads aren't a true hemi. They basically just borrow the valve arrangement from the originals. Still they do perform pretty well, just not Cobra well.

Rochard

Established Member
Here's a picture of the event if anyone is interested.....

005.jpg

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
He bought an obese sedan with a mid level engine and expected to put a beat down on a Terminator?! :D :D Mock away. :thumbsup:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
In the LX sedans:

The 5.7L Hemi is 340hp/390lb.ft as stated with the 300C, Charger & Magnum R/T. There is a modest horsepower increase for a added performance package that adds 10 horsepower for a total of 350 I think. I think the police package gets the 350 horsepower rating. The SRT motor is the more formidable one rated at 425 horsepower. Without a significant power adder, neither should threaten a supercharged Cobra.

As for a lot of good information about the Hemi, go to www.thehemi.com.

This is the article explaining the differences of the new Hemi vs. old design.
http://www.thehemi.com/news.php?id=20020826-1

Last edited:

Rochard

Established Member
grimreefer said:
He bought an obese sedan with a mid level engine and expected to put a beat down on a Terminator?! :D :D Mock away. :thumbsup:

LOL. That just made my morning!

Luke_Duke

Established Member
Yeah, sounds like he is a tool. It will be interesting to see when the Challenger comes out what it will run. ALthough, i think Dodge made it too portly in the weight department. But, maybe with the SRT motor, it won't be a complete pig, but not Cobra worthy...

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
But Chrysler isn't going to build the new Challenger to compete against the 03/04 Cobra. The current Mustang, in general, is the moving target and its rather beefy, as well...especially the Shelby GT-500 at near or over 3900 pounds. Of course, I really don't think the 6.1 Challenger will have a chance against the Shelby. Of course, the showcar had the 6.4L Hemi rated at 500/500.

I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe Dodge will have a contender; maybe the Camaro will be as well. If CAFE gets tighter, the next generation Mustang may be the Twin-Force V6 rather than a V8.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i had a 300c try to race me from a light yesterday. i didnt realize it right away and wasnt really trying. i then saw that he was actually keeping up with me and i let the hammer down! lol. put about ten car lengths on him in less than a block :rockon:

there are SOooo many charger/300s around here with "hemis" and they think theyre sooo fast, lol. theyre quick, ill give them that. but they obviously have no idea what our cobras are capable of :banana:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Only 'car guys' (and girls) are going to know what lurks under the hood of a Cobra or Shelby or Lightning or SRT Ram. Limited production automobiles are rarely followed by the general public.

exdeath

Established Member
svt4stv said:
but they obviously have no idea what our cobras are capable of :banana:

I don't think most people do. Just another slow sub 199 HP push rod V6 Mustang with some ricey after market snake stuff glued all over it :-D

bobbys97r

Established Member
exdeath said:
I don't think most people do. Just another slow sub 199 HP push rod V6 Mustang with some ricey after market snake stuff glued all over it :-D
thats what my wife tells me that people just see another slow mustang

PERCULATOR

Banned
NOW THATS PERSONAL GUY, U DONT MIND IF I CALL U GU
Rochard said:
This past weekend I drove my Cobra down into Mexico. (Pix and details to follow in the morning.)

Someone I'll loosely call a "friend" drove his Dodge Charger down and was pretty confident his car was faster than mine. I don't usually have such discussions with my friends because most of my friends cars would stomp my Cobra. However, he was pretty much a dick about it. He wanted to race and I was just like "whatever". The next day we were in a little convoy heading out to dinner. We had about ten cars going loaded with people, and we all had walkie talkies. He challenged me and we raced from a rolling start. I ended up pulling away from him so quickly that it was comical. What was even better was that this happened in front of forty of our friends / business associates.

I did a quick search on stats and I'm seeing his 5.7 Hemi having about 320 Horsepower, with a 0-60 in the 6.0 second range? Does this sound correct? Can anyone confirm this before I mock him on a board we both post on?

Also, wasn't there some discussion about how the new "Hemi" really isn't a "Hemi", but more like a totally different engine they called a "Hemi" to make old people buy the car?
Wow, most of your friends would stomp the cobra hugh? What are they driving? Dodge vipers and z06 vettes?

SVT4ME

Established Member
My wife's Commander has the 5.7L Hemi engine and it nice. But in either ride your towing a boat.

SINISTER LS1 said:
The new 5.7 is a wannabe LS1 haha.

It wants to be out of production and no longer used? That seems counter-productive.

Back on topic, no 5.7L Hemi cars have any business attempting to race a 03-04 Cobra without being heavily modded.

LAcop124

Established Member
people who drive "hemis" see hp numbers and dont think about power to weight ratios. same thing as people with trucks who think just cause they have a V8 that they can keep up with a mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread