Do we really need throttle bodies to make big power

FINICKY

Established Member
Ive been reading that usually throttle bodies dont do much on our cars , and that sometimes we could loose torque. How far can we go till the stock throttle body is a restriction?

Im at 522 495 with the apten and a bbk twin 65mm with a ported plenum setup. Im gonna go back to stock and see what happens. The stock t/body is basically 114mm. Isnt that enough to feed big power? Anyone making big power on the stock one?

FINICKY

Established Member
Well Just like an n/a car if you go to big youll lose power. I just feel the stock one will be big enough but I guess Ill find out. Ive heard of people dynoing back to back and not gaining anytihng in HP but loosing torque.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Cant wait to hear the results of this one!!

Is your plenum a stock ported piece, or an aftermarket version?

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by FINICKY
Well Just like an n/a car if you go to big youll lose power. I just feel the stock one will be big enough but I guess Ill find out. Ive heard of people dynoing back to back and not gaining anytihng in HP but loosing torque.

Well I have the Billetflow TB and I gained 12hp and 8tq. Plus the response is worth it alone. If you had one you wouldn't be talking about putting the stock one on....

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by FINICKY
...The stock t/body is basically 114mm. Isnt that enough to feed big power? Anyone making big power on the stock one?

FWIW.

The stock TB is twin 57mm bores. That is equivelant to a single 80mm bore (less than the stock 90mm MAF).

The BBK twin 65mm is equivelant to a single 92mm bore.

The Accufab and BilletFlow TBs ar 95mm bores.

fr03cobra

Established Member
I put my stock one back and I hated it I was ready to put the accufab back on it was like I lost a 100 hp. I called my wife from when I was overseas and she asked me what was wrong with the car. I had switched them out while I was gone. Believe I did not waste anytime when I got back to put the accufab back on.

Isn't a 70 mm t/b good for 600 hp on 5.0's?????
I read that once in MM&FF.
Anyway...I am making real good power with the stock one and if I am going to spend 600 dollars on my car it won't be for 12hp & 8tq.....It will be APTEN!

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Re: Re: Do we really need throttle bodies to make big power

Originally posted by ALA G8R
FWIW.

The stock TB is twin 57mm bores. That is equivelant to a single 80mm bore (less than the stock 90mm MAF).

The BBK twin 65mm is equivelant to a single 92mm bore.

The Accufab and BilletFlow TBs ar 95mm bores.

Just curious...

How did you calculate the figures above? Is a big oval TB really only have a 15mm larger bore then stock and only a 3mm larger bore then the twin 65mm?

By the eye the big ovals look twice the size of the stocker! Strange?

I wonder what cfm each TB flows?

dougwg

Established Member
stock twin57mm about--1090 cfm
BBK twin65mm about ----1340 cfm
BilletFlow about--------- 1750 cfm

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
from their web site:

ACCUFAB OVAL LIGHTNING (which is the same as the 03-04 Cobra TB)
CORR @ 28" - 1696 CFM

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Snakebite's cobra gained like 20 hp going from apten+pulley to apten+pulley+billetflow.

Personally I don't think it's necessary to make huge power, as there really isn't that big of a difference in 500rwhp and 515rwhp. But everyone seems to say it makes the car more fun due to throttle response. And more fun is really what we are all about.

ALA G8R

Banned
Re: Re: Re: Do we really need throttle bodies to make big power

Originally posted by Need4Speed03
Just curious...

How did you calculate the figures above? Is a big oval TB really only have a 15mm larger bore then stock and only a 3mm larger bore then the twin 65mm?

By the eye the big ovals look twice the size of the stocker! Strange?

I wonder what cfm each TB flows?

I guess I should clarify that heard that the Accufab and BilletFlow were equivelant to a 95.1mm circular bore. Doug, correct me if I'm wrong.

The others are calculated by adding the areas of each bore together and then solving for the equivelant single bore diameter

2 x pi x (diameter of twin bore/2)^2 = pi x (diameter of single bore/2)^2

Solve for single bore diameter.

It's not so much the diameter but the area that's important.

twin 57mm's area is 5103 mm^2.
twin 65mm's area is 6637 mm^2. (30% increase over stock)
Accufab and BilletFlow's area is 7103 mm^2. (39% increase over stock).

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03gobluecobra
Snakebite's cobra gained like 20 hp going from apten+pulley to apten+pulley+billetflow.

Personally I don't think it's necessary to make huge power, as there really isn't that big of a difference in 500rwhp and 515rwhp. But everyone seems to say it makes the car more fun due to throttle response. And more fun is really what we are all about.
20rwhp from a throttle body? I'd have to see proof of that before I'll believe it. And I have one. ??

Users who are viewing this thread