Do these numbers seem low?

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
My car makes 415rwhp and 463rwtq. It has a kenne bell 1.5 making 14psi, 42lb injectors, 255lp pump, shortie headers, off road h pipe, flowmasters, 90mm maf, 03 cobra cams, 03 cobra short block, MSD coil packs, CAI into the fender, and methanol injection. It wasn't tuned for the meth yet. Seems like kinda low numbers if you ask me. I guess I'm used to having terminators. lemme know what you think. I'm thinking about going turbo or getting a bigger blower. I heard something about the KB 2.2's bolting up to the 1.5 manifolds. I might look into that or possibly getting c heads and get an eaton to start with.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
thats a shit load and ill be happy with that when i get meth, but a few others put down more hp than that on here with a 1.5 so that means u can still make a little more hp

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
Who tuned it? sounds like its got some HP left on the table.

x2c performance in San Diego tuned it. From what I was told it was a "safe" tune. I figured you could squeeze a litte more especially running 14psi. I"m planning on getting it re tuned in the spring. I'm thinking with the meth it should make at least 500rwhp.

thats a shit load and ill be happy with that when i get meth, but a few others put down more hp than that on here with a 1.5 so that means u can still make a little more hp

Yeah, they were runing less psi and less mods also. I guess I'm used to terminators, 415 seems low. I'd be happy with 500rwhp.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
14lbs out of a KB 1.5....:dw:

That's what the boost gauge says haha. It has the smallest pulley on it. 2in I beleive. The guy I got it from said KB said that the 1.5's can make that much. I Did some research also and KB had one making 15psi.

^^^ I'm wondering the same^^^^

Also why 03 cobra cams?

I got it like that, the guy before me did most of the mods. I'm thinking of a 2.1 a 2.2 or turbo if I can't squeeze anything else out with this setup.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
96-98 on the cheap or put in custom grinds- honestly I think what's setting you back is the size of your blower- not very familiar with your setup but it seems as if all the basics are there, and therefore not posing a problem/restriction.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
96-98 on the cheap or put in custom grinds- honestly I think what's setting you back is the size of your blower- not very familiar with your setup but it seems as if all the basics are there, and therefore not posing a problem/restriction.

So the 96-98 cams are actually better? I would have thought the 03's would be better but I don't know a whole ton about the 96-98 cams. I know it's kind of a small blower but an eaton is only a 1.7 and it has to be a lot less efficient than a kenne Bell I would assume. I'm thinking about the 2.1. Was that you with the post about the 2.2 fitting on the 1.5 and 2.1 inakes? I read that somewhere on here but I dont know if the guy actually did it.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
no I didn't post that- but it doesn't make sense that it would work-cause the rest of em would too with a little work-the snout position is the issue, and trying to line up all the accessories

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The 96-98 intake cams have 20 degrees more duration

Are you running 91 octane? You don't wanna push it if you are.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
no I didn't post that- but it doesn't make sense that it would work-cause the rest of em would too with a little work-the snout position is the issue, and trying to line up all the accessories

I think they said you can take the snout off the 1.5 and it lines up or something. Whoever it was said they called KB and talked to them about it.

The 96-98 intake cams have 20 degrees more duration

Are you running 91 octane? You don't wanna push it if you are.

I'm running 91 or 93 depending on the gas station. We also have 110 up there. I wonder why the guy swapped cams then. So would 96-98 cams benifit an 03 04 cobra? I also heard something about running GT500 cams too. Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna either get that on3 turbo kit or a bigger blower. I thought about centrifugal but I love the sound and instant torque of the positive displacement blowers.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If you're running 91 the tune very safe the therefore making the power lower.

Go with the on-3 turbo, great power for the money.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
If you're running 91 the tune very safe the therefore making the power lower.

Go with the on-3 turbo, great power for the money.

yeah I couldn't believe it 1700 for the kit. Of course you have to buy a k memeber and a few other things but that's better than 6k for hellion or HP. If you end up doing an eaton swap does that fit under the stock hood? I already have half an 03 motor, thought about finishing it off. Turbo would be cool though.

Toasty

Established Member
My car makes 415rwhp and 463rwtq. It has a kenne bell 1.5 making 14psi, 42lb injectors, 255lp pump, shortie headers, off road h pipe, flowmasters, 90mm maf, 03 cobra cams, 03 cobra short block, MSD coil packs, CAI into the fender, and methanol injection. It wasn't tuned for the meth yet. Seems like kinda low numbers if you ask me. I guess I'm used to having terminators. lemme know what you think. I'm thinking about going turbo or getting a bigger blower. I heard something about the KB 2.2's bolting up to the 1.5 manifolds. I might look into that or possibly getting c heads and get an eaton to start with.

14psi on a 1.5 is wayy out of its efficiency range. At that PSI ur just creating excess heat really. Is your IAT sensor relocated to after the compressor? I'd bet your IAT's are well over 200F which means you have to pull timing. If you pull timing, you pull power, Period. You need to swap to C heads and a bigger blower like a 2.2, 2.4 or 2.6 to push those kinds of PSI efficiently and intercool to lower IATs.

Last edited:

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
14psi on a 1.5 is wayy out of its efficiency range. At that PSI ur just creating excess heat really. Is your IAT sensor relocated to after the compressor? I'd bet your IAT's are well over 200F which means you have to pull timing. If you pull timing, you pull power, Period. You need to swap to C heads and a bigger blower like a 2.2, 2.4 or 2.6 to push those kinds of PSI efficiently and intercool to lower IATs.

I'm not sure on the IAT sensor. I was only home for a month in July and now the car is getting re painted. I'm still in Iraq. I'm sure the Methanol injection would lower those temps. I'm aware that the high temps would pull timing. I have a buddy with a blown C6 and he schooled me on that. I was thinking about dropping down to the 10psi range. When you do a c head swap and go with a 2.2 you would have to change the whole fuel system, engine wiring harnesses, gauges, and a shit ton of other stuff correct? I would probably be better off getting the on3 turbo kit for that kind of money and pain tracking down all the parts.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
^^^agreed..or throw a huge hit of meth in like several diff locations to try and cool that beehotch down..but yes 96-98 cams make more power than the 03 cams...thats hurting some power too..

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I dont think those are bad. Being that its not tuned with the meth, 91 octane and your maxing out your blower. Yes it can make 14psi, but its not doing it efficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread