Do long tube headers require a tune revision???

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
I have heard some say you do and some say you don't need a tune revision for long tube headers?? I already have an X-pipe but I cant understand how you wouldn't need a revision to benefit from installing them. I would think fueling and also timing might need to changed to help better scavenge the exhaust?

scotmach

Established Member
They shouldn't if adaptive learning is turned on.

And no better exhaust scavenging doesn't equal a change in tunes. Sounds good in theory but isn't true.

Depends who you talk to as I know of two well known tuners that will tell you none are needed.

When I installed my longtubes I never got a revision and the car ran perfect with zero driveabilty problems.

Last edited:

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Some 02 delay stuff to help with low RPM / low exhaust velocity / idle situations.

Some cars also take a little less timing.

I wish Adaptive learning could tune cars some times.....

Edit : I stayed at a holiday in, and talked to a tuner that once tuned some long tubes.....

Last edited:

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Some 02 delay stuff to help with low RPM / low exhaust velocity / idle situations.

Some cars also take a little less timing.

I wish Adaptive learning could tune cars some times.....

Edit : I stayed at a holiday in, and talked to a tuner that once tuned some long tubes.....

Thanks Chris , BTW the headers were delayed due to bad weather so I didn't get them today but I'm going to install them tomorrow night if they show up.

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
New headers installed, it wasn't easy but there on!! Very nice product and fitment was pretty good. Had a slight clearance issue with the steering shaft.

IMG_20141118_095143273.jpg

IMG_20141118_095154773.jpg

IMG_20141118_195915210.jpg

IMG_20141118_195932301.jpg

11redGT/CS

Established Member
What brand are those? I thought you would need a revision other wise would it be the same power having stock manifolds and o/r mid pipe? Didn't know the car alone would add an extra 10hp on it's own!!

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
What brand are those? I thought you would need a revision other wise would it be the same power having stock manifolds and o/r mid pipe? Didn't know the car alone would add an extra 10hp on it's own!!

I got them off eBay for $300 new. 304SS, gig welds look good. Made by Speedmaster. Just waiting on a tune revision

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
They shouldn't if adaptive learning is turned on.

And no better exhaust scavenging doesn't equal a change in tunes. Sounds good in theory but isn't true.

Depends who you talk to as I know of two well known tuners that will tell you none are needed.

When I installed my longtubes I never got a revision and the car ran perfect with zero driveabilty problems.

long tubes do require a re-tune, because thats the point of getting a "tuned" length runner. Without typing out a book, basically you want to optimize the exhaust gas pulses with the cam timing, and since the tube is now significantly longer (and likely larger) than stock, those timing events have changed. Your car may run "fine" but that doesnt mean its making as much power as it could be. They thought the world was flat forever, but that doesnt mean it is.

scotmach

Established Member
long tubes do require a re-tune, because thats the point of getting a "tuned" length runner. Without typing out a book, basically you want to optimize the exhaust gas pulses with the cam timing, and since the tube is now significantly longer (and likely larger) than stock, those timing events have changed. Your car may run "fine" but that doesnt mean its making as much power as it could be. They thought the world was flat forever, but that doesnt mean it is.
Not according to VMP or Lund. Both told me no revision was needed. And my car ran fine with no change in idle quality after the longtubes were installed.

Cam timing changes with a longtube install? Don't go there.

Voltwings

Established Member
I can say from experience on my car that long tubes do require a tune revision.

^^ This guy is tuned by lund

Not according to VMP or Lund. Both told me no revision was needed. And my car ran fine with no change in idle quality after the longtubes were installed.

You're obviously misunderstanding something somewhere, do you some reading on exhaust gas scavenging and it will make sense. Hell, Shaun from AED even tweaked my tune a few degrees when i added my kooks shortys and i picked up some flow... The whole point of the Ti-Vct is to be able to optimize these events ... Cam timing changes with headers, i will go there.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member

Just a question, how many coyotes have you tuned?

For the record, BlueSmokem5.0's car fired up and looked good but guess what, thats not good enough for me (or some tuners) and I did the proper thing by adjusting the 02 delays and changing some timing after some logs. Yes it takes time, and it is much easier to just tell someone "Ya your good no tune needed" than it is to properly tune there car. This is the difference.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Why waste your money on lt's and not get a tune, wtf is the point then?

Your somewhat correct. BlueSmokem5.0 was at the limit of his stock headers, and it was costing him power, so just slapping the LTs on would in deed make more power, but the Proper thing to do is finish the tune for the LTs.

scotmach

Established Member
^^ This guy is tuned by lund

You're obviously misunderstanding something somewhere, do you some reading on exhaust gas scavenging and it will make sense. Hell, Shaun from AED even tweaked my tune a few degrees when i added my kooks shortys and i picked up some flow... The whole point of the Ti-Vct is to be able to optimize these events ... Cam timing changes with headers, i will go there.
No, I understand completely.
Just a question, how many coyotes have you tuned?

For the record, BlueSmokem5.0's car fired up and looked good but guess what, thats not good enough for me (or some tuners) and I did the proper thing by adjusting the 02 delays and changing some timing after some logs. Yes it takes time, and it is much easier to just tell someone "Ya your good no tune needed" than it is to properly tune there car. This is the difference.

Sorry but I don't know you or your tuning from a hole in the wall. So my apologies if I don't take you seriously.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
No, I understand completely.

Sorry but I don't know you or your tuning from a hole in the wall. So my apologies if I don't take you seriously.
Everyone is better off with advise from said hole in the wall than people who speak of things they don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread