Do infrared heaters actually work?

sixt5

Established Member
Long story short, my grandfather passed away this spring and now my grandmothers living budget has been cut. I'm trying to find ways to help Bette heat her house this winter (eastern Kentucky).

She lives in a 3 bedroom single story house but I'd say around 1200 sq ft. Honestly I wish she still had a wood burning stove and I'd take truck loads down to her but that's simply not the option.

So anyways, are there any portable or even semi permanent heaters/furnaces that I could install to help heating costs?

mustanginky

Established Member
i have one of those dish type heaters, and they get hot as hell if you're right in front of it. not sure if it heats up the room quite that well, but if you're in front it's really warm.

f2hatch

Established Member
I have one of those Amish heaters works great. I turn it on the heat never turns on when it is on and it was only $90.00 I am using right now

Digital

Established Member
Are you looking to heat the entire house or the room / immediate area that she's in? A oil radiator heater works extremely well and she can wheel it to where ever she is.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Just got a Quartz infrared heater yesterday. It's a small one at only 800 watts, but it's like sitting in front of a fireplace when it's on. It's really good for directional heat and seems to heat a room well.

For 1200 sq ft, I'd get one of those big 1500 watt dish style quartz heaters.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here is some info that might help that I got from Consumer Reports.

Recommended Smaller room heaters

Dyson AM04
Type: Smaller room heaters
Price as tested: $400

Holmes HFH436
Price as tested: $40

Lasko 6462
Price as tested: $65

Vornado iControl
Price as tested: $150

Bionaire BCH9212
Price as tested: $55

Ambia ACH-120
Price as tested: $60

Recommended Larger room heaters

Duraflame 10HM4126-0107
Type: Larger room heaters
Price as tested: $230

Heat Surge HT-XL
Type: Larger room heaters
Price as tested:
$400

Electric heaters

Convection models are best for heating an entire room because they spread their heat over a wide area. Those with a fan spread warmed air quicker, but they also add noise. Radiant versions, which use an electric-ribbon element or a quartz tube, are ideal for spot heating, but their heat dissipates quickly when they're turned off.

Thermostat

A thermostat maintains the temperature you set, saving you the hassle of turning the heater off and on as the room temperature varies. Heaters with multiple output settings conserve energy by letting you choose the lowest setting that keeps a room comfortable.

Tip-over switch, touch sensor, overheat protection

As their names imply, these features automatically turn off the heater if it's knocked over, if the grille is touched, or if the unit overheats.

Getting started

The best space heaters can quickly heat you and an average sized room for as little as $40. Electric heaters such as those we test include an array of safety features that reduce the risk of fire. But that doesn't mean all of them are risk-free. Many we tested got hot enough to cause the equivalent of a bad sunburn within a second of contact.

All of the tested space heaters will comfortably warm a chilly room. But remember, the only way to potentially save money is to use a heater in one room and leave the rest of the house chillier.

When you shop for an electric space heater, look for a label from a recognized testing laboratory such as UL (Underwriters Laboratory), ETL (Intertek), or CSA (Canadian Standards Association) verifying that the heater's construction and performance meet U.S. voluntary safety standards.

Also, fuel-burning space heaters are more dangerous than electrics. We suggest that you consider them only for emergency use--say, during a winter power outage.

Our experts and the NFPA offer the following safety advice:

* Don't leave an electric heater unattended while it's plugged in. Place the heater on a level, flat surface where children and pets can't reach it--and never in a child's room. Use a heater on a tabletop only when specified by the manufacturer. If you place it on furniture, it could fall and be damaged.
* Don't use a space heater in a damp or wet area unless it's designed for outdoor use or in bathrooms. Moisture could damage it.
* Keep combustible materials such as furniture, bedding, and curtains at least three feet from the front of the heater and away from its sides and rear. Don't use a heater near paint, gas cans, or matches. Keep the air intake and outlet clear.
* Run the electric cord on top of area rugs or carpeting so that you can step over it and not abrade it underfoot. Plugging another electrical device into the same outlet or extension cord as the heater could cause overheating.

How to choose

We think all manufacturers should keep hot surfaces completely out of reach. Models that scored very good or higher in our hot-surface tests make even minor burns unlikely, if not impossible. Here's what else to consider while shopping.

Choose the right type. Look for fast spot heating if you care more about quickly heating one or two people than heating a roomful of guests. Consider larger heaters if you like the look of wood and an electronic flame display. And consider propane or kerosene heaters strictly for screened-in porches and other well-vented outdoor areas. Both types pose a carbon monoxide hazard indoors and typically get hot enough to ignite fabrics.

Look for safety features. All of the heaters we tested include a sensor that shuts them off if they overheat. A switch that does the same if they tip over is a welcome plus for taller models, especially with kids and pets nearby. Instructions for all the models we tested also warn consumers to keep them away from water. One model has a plug that's ground-fault protected, though kitchens, bathrooms, and other moist areas should already have protected outlets.

Insist on a fan. It helps distribute heat more quickly, and it shows: The three slowest heaters in our tests are the only ones without fans. Some models can oscillate for more even heating. Don't expect savings. More than 60 percent of homeowners we polled recently thought that space heaters could trim their energy bills. Yet the only way you can save is if you lower heat in other rooms, since electricity is the priciest way to heat. So consider a space heater strictly for comfort. And think about adding insulation to attics, basements, crawl spaces, and other key areas for savings.

Users who are viewing this thread