Do i need a tune?

MaxxdSVT

Established Member
Hey, i'm sure this has been covered before, but i couldn't find anything thru search. Just purchased a bone stock 04 SY coupe. Want to do JLT cold air and bassani x-pipe w/ bassani cat-back. Do i need to tune the car right away if i do those mods? I have a SCT livewire tuner already from my previous car. If i do need to tune it, where can i get a basic flash tune for just those mods. Don't plan on doing any other bolt-ons until next year. Thanks

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
If you have the JLT that moves the MAF to the fender, then I'd recommend a tune or at least checking the A/F ratio.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If it doesn't move your MAF location and the mid pipe has cats I think you would be ok. I think these cars came rich from the factory. However it's always good to check the AF ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPLouis

Established Member
Here is a close to stock A/F ratio. Car has a Magnaflow catted X-pipe and Borla Touring catback as it's only modifications. I was in the 10's for A/F from 4000rpms and up. You have a lot of room.

32572358762_15d9c3868d_z.jpg

Last edited:

HPLouis

Established Member
Now, all I did was add some timing, with my SCT Pro Racer Package and got this:
31882690274_a189e40dca_z.jpg

Almost 400rwhp and I didn't even touch the MAF transfer function (A/F ratio). I would have went over 400 if I leaned it out a little. There are a couple of things I turned off that fattens up the A/F ratio even more. They are temp controls for cats and exhaust (switch for cat temp control, EGO control and flange temp control) that richen the A/F ratio. Basically, once the cats and exhaust reach a certain temperature, the car will dump more fuel and fatten the A/F ratio (usually at WOT)

Last edited:

MaxxdSVT

Established Member
Thanks for all the info! Gonna order the jlt cold air, bassani xpipe and cat back. Which spark plugs should I run? Gonna change them as routine maintenance.

nxhappy

Established Member
OEM plugs will be fine since you are keeping the stock SC pulley

I suggest you get a SCT x4 and have it tuned. You will gain much more power this way with the intake/exhaust combo.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Don't use a canned tune on one of these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPLouis

Established Member
Since you have the LiveWire already, why not pick up a Pro Racer Package and a Zentronix wide and and tune the car yourself? Since you're staying stock, it won't be hard to tune it. The Pro Racer even comes with a base tune for 91 and 93 octane that you can start with.

Users who are viewing this thread